Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2011 7:14:06 PM EDT
Tonight I attended an alumni event for my graduate school, and I was the oldest one there at 39... the next oldest alums might be pushing 30. OK, so for the event I'm kind of the wise and experienced Dean who has been there, done that. I'm having a decent time chatting with some current grad students and recent alums when I notice this cute redhead across the room... cute, not hot, but redheads are my thing and she is young and endowed, flirty, smart as a whip and sassy. I can't honestly tell if she is being flirty or if she is always this bubbly and is just one of those people who makes you feel like you are the only person in the room.

As we are talking I learn she grew up in this small Adirondack town my family owned a summer home in. She was blown away that I could talk about her hometown as if I spent my entire life there. She is a Dem, but hey... she is like 24 or 25 and thinks she is going to change the world. She has no problem with guns, having grown up around them. She would be a real catch, and completely wasted on the idiot guys her age (there are of course always exceptions). At the end of the night she mentions she is heading out to see some girlfriends, and she doesn't ask if I want to come along, so I figure I let my imagination run wild... oh well, was fun flirting for a couple hours. She disappears out the door of the restaurant and I'm talking with my friends when she comes back in and touches me on the arm. I turn around and say hi, did you forget something. She smiles and says yes, to give you my number and you didn't ask for mine. I hand her a card and she grabs my iphone and programs her number into it.

So yes, I'm going to take her out... but I'm 39 and wayyyyyyy older than her. I have always been more likely to date a woman 10 years older than me than one 10 years younger... and 15 years? Shhhhhiiiiiiiiiit, I sleep with girls that age, but normally they have daddy issues and are not relationship material. While young, she is intelligent, educated, charming, cultured, accomplished for her age and pretty grounded. She is exactly the type of girl I would seek to date, but I feel like I would get the Pedo-bear stare down out in public with her.

What are the hives' thoughts on a 24/25 year old young woman with a 39 year old man? I'm sincerely curious about the opinions of parents with a daughter that age. How would you feel if your little one brought home a man 15 years older?

And no, you will not be getting photos, I JUST met her!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
no problems here.

i always figured you were younger.

there's a 11 year age gap between me and my GF.

some people don't like it. Oh the fuck well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
no problems here.

I'm remarkably well preserved for my age

All the preservatives in my diet have frozen me in time!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Fo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a violation of the "half your age plus seven years" rule.

On the other hand, she is an adult....

Steve
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I salute you, sir!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
This is no joke you need to read the book

The sensuousness dirty old man  It will explain all of this to you
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I was 36 when I met my (now) wife. She was 24.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fo.

This.

Younger women have a little more respect for older men.

I dated a 21 year old when I was 35.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fo.

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no problems here.

I'm remarkably well preserved for my age

All the preservatives in my diet have frozen me in time!

IMO, it really shouldn't matter  .I've seen people and guess their age and was off by decades.  If you don't feel 39 and she doesn't care or doesn't know or it doesn't come up at all...

You must FO like you've never FO'd before.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Smash that ass!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
'half your age, plus seven' (~) gets thrown around a lot here on teh ARFCOM

I'd write it out as an equation, but there would be a bajilion post thread arguing about the order

eta: my input is that what ever is consentual is fine by me.
my personal observation is that it's rare to find 'em mature enough below 25.. sometimes 30.
I have 3 lady friends who are 22-24 who are the exception.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
That's not that big of an age difference !
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Soooo, I take it you like sex now that you've discovered it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The hell with age.  Knock it like it owes you money!  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]
fo in the name of all that is man fo
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll just leave my man card over here on the coffee table...

I did think about kissing her, but my normal inclination to see how fast I can get her out of her clothes was not there with this one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fo.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
The problem is when one of those 20yr. old tight perky soft etc. opens her mouth to talk!  What nonsense!  Brain dead chicks.  That's when you know you're getting old  When you let something as superficial as good conversation and intellect come between you and her nice,soft, perky, tight......body!  I'd probably have a heart attack .  Oh, I also tell them that I have a daughter her age.  That doesn't seem to bother them
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#21]
you dirty dirty old man
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Buddy... that's nothin'.

My 64 year old Dad's wife just turned 30.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]

In the game of "18 to 80" there are no rules, and the Big Coach upstairs has just called you into the game.  Get out there and kick some ass!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When the women you are leering at have parents that are your age or younger.

Nope, while I guess I could be her father with a 15 year age difference, most of my friends did not have kids until in their 30s... so if that is the standard 15 should be safe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#25]
My rule of thumb is that if she's 36÷2(5-4)^2 she's good to go

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
For you? Two days, tops.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the women you are leering at have parents that are your age or younger.

Nope, while I guess I could be her father with a 15 year age difference, most of my friends did not have kids until in their 30s... so if that is the standard 15 should be safe.

You're good to go.

Thanks Dad!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#29]
No worries.  Give it a go.  It could turn out to be the love of your life.  Or she could be "the crazy" that will cause you some hell.   Either way,  I'd still go for it.  Hell,  even my "the crazy bitch" episodes from my past have many good memories mixed in.

If you don't try,  you'll always wonder "what if".
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#30]
i wish i had your "problem".
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Go for it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Im 37 my wife is 23.  She chased me down when she started to work in my former place of employment. She was 19 at the time.  been together 4 years now. Married 6 months. Never been happier in my life.
Age is a number, If two people are happy together, it doesnt matter. With that said, give it a try. If you dont you will never be sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

First reply and all that.

If you're going to define yourself by the judgment of others then you might as well turn in your man card right now.  After all, no matter what you do or who you date some tight-laced old bitch with a blue perm will scowl at you for it.  Too bad for her, it isn't your fault she hasn't been laid since the Ford administration.

Look, the whole "age gap" thing is NOT a rule, except as defined in law (which you're kosher with, here).  It is a GUIDELINE to help keep you from wasting your time on someone you lilely have nothing in common with.  If you have stuff in common and can make a real connection then just FO!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
It's cool as long as your not a clergyman.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#36]

If you can look her father in the eyes, you're good. If not don't start what you can't finish.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Most women tell me I look like I'm in my mid to late 30's. With that said, I'm 48 and my dating age cut-off is 38. I've been out with women in the 30-35 range and other than the obvious physical attributes they bored the he'll out of me. There are plenty of hardbody women in my age bracket that have a lot more life experience. Young women are fun to play with, but I need intellectual stimulation as well. Just sayin...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

fo in the name of all that is man fo

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#39]

dude you're 39, not in your 60's
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So yes, I'm going to take her out... but I'm 39 and wayyyyyyy older than her. I have always been more likely to date a woman 10 years older than me than one 10 years younger... and 15 years? Shhhhhiiiiiiiiiit, I sleep with girls that age, but normally they have daddy issues and are not relationship material. While young, she is intelligent, educated, charming, cultured, accomplished for her age and pretty grounded. She is exactly the type of girl I would seek to date, but I feel like I would get the Pedo-bear stare down out in public with her.

Going on a date with her wouldn't make you a dirty old man but this right here in red does.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#41]
No, you need to go find yourself a woman about your age who is single, well adjusted, and does not have a freight train of baggage following her around.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I doubt I could have a serious conversation with someone that much younger than me.  But it would be a fun fling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#43]
When I was 23 I dated a guy your age.  Didn't work out, but that had nothing to do with the age difference.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd have no problem with it. Go for it. There is 16 years difference between my parents.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#45]
as long as shes legal.

I once worked with a guy in his 60s that dated women 19-20s

I hope I still have it going on when I am in my 60s...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Most women tell me I look like I'm in my mid to late 30's. With that said, I'm 48 and my dating age cut-off is 38. I've been out with women in the 30-35 range and other than the obvious physical attributes they bored the he'll out of me. There are plenty of hardbody women in my age bracket that have a lot more life experience. Young women are fun to play with, but I need intellectual stimulation as well. Just sayin...

Well that's the thing, most women cannot keep up with me intellectually. Not to say they are not intelligent, but there is a level of interest in all things political and philosophical that most don't hold, and that is a huge turn-off. There is a shared experience in terms of our academic studies as well as our careers, although mine is considerably more advanced for obvious reasons. My last long-term relationship was with a woman a couple years older that just didn't engage me, nor did she have any desire to learn, grow and advance herself. She was content with where her life was, and that is a choice she was free to make, but definitely not in keeping with my personal aspirations. So, compare them side by side and the 25 year old is a better fit for me than that particular 41 year old.

I guess my concern is not so much what Joe and Jane Sixpack think, but more how her parents are likely to perceive it. I know my mother would stroke. And no, that will not be the deciding factor, but these are things I figure best to be considered in advance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

No, you need to go find yourself a woman about your age who is single, well adjusted, and does not have a freight train of baggage following her around.  

So, nobody then?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Oh knock it off lol...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#50]
age does not mean shit if you two get along.
there are hundreds of thousands of unhappy couples who are close to one another age.
dont be one of them...
be happy. do what you want, and what you feel is right.

****pedo bear shit excluded from the above advice.

at 25 she should know what kind of man she is looking for.
she probably cant find what she desires in her age bracket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top