Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2008 7:26:38 AM EDT
So I'm watching ORiley last night and they are talking about the 8 year old who killed his dad and a friend. Well apparently the kid used his 22 killed 2 grown men with it. I didn't think 22's could kill. Obviously Im just kidding, but I always find it funny how people constantly say "this ammo is the one to use in SHTF". Obviously it doesn't friggen matter too much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:27:17 AM EDT
Anything can kill.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:27:53 AM EDT
I have heard that it was a "BB gun", and a single shot rifle.

I lean towards it being a break open 22 cal air rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:28:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By coldsteele35:
So I'm watching ORiley last night and they are talking about the 8 year old who killed his dad and a friend. Well apparently the kid used his 22 killed 2 grown men with it. I didn't think 22's could kill. Obviously Im just kidding, but I always find it funny how people constantly say "this ammo is the one to use in SHTF". Obviously it doesn't friggen matter too much.

He shot two people as an 8 year old. Man video games are getting better and better
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:29:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 7:30:54 AM EDT by ScaryBlackGuns]

I could kill you with a BB gun, but it doesn't mean I should rely on it in a defense situation.

ETA: In before Zhukov reads your post and stokes out.!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:30:54 AM EDT
Ask Robert Kennedy
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:30:56 AM EDT
.22's are better than a lot of people give credit for
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:34:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LazarusLong:

Why? Cuz they bounce around in your skull and scramble your brains like eggs?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:37:08 AM EDT
People that think a .22,.25, .32, .380 etc aren't lethal are often the same sort of people that believe a 2wd truck can't make it down a driveway with some puddles in it. Would a M2 be better than a .22lr Beretta? Yep. Will that .22lr Beretta kill you anyway? Yep.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:40:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By XMM:

I have seen it do pretty much just that. A teenager who took a round through the left temple. The round didn't have enough energy to exit the skull, so it bounced around inside it for a while. Didn't scramble his brain, but it did drill multiple tunnels through key parts. I counted about 7 paths on the x-ray, there may have been more. The teenager was comatose for a few days and then died.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:41:13 AM EDT
I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that .22lr is the caliber which causes most deaths/injuries compared to any other caliber.
Patially because guns and .22lr ammo are so prevalent in society, almost EVERYBODY knows someone with a .22 rifle/pistol in their closet.
And people don't take the round serious enough. I had a buddy in middle school tell me he and his friends used to shoot at each other with .22's and just pull the bullets out of their skin like BB's.
I told him he was FOS and we ended up getting into a fight over it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:41:32 AM EDT

You can shoot someone in the big toe and it will come out the top of their head! This is of course after bouncing around and destroying every organ in the chest cavity. I thought everyone knew that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:43:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 7:43:33 AM EDT by LazarusLong]

Only an idiot would believe that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:44:11 AM EDT
One of the most successful pistols in WWII was the Silenced High Standard .22

It only takes a like 25 lbs of pressure to puncture bone. A headshot with a .22 is usually going to be fatal.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:48:01 AM EDT
Cancer kills too, along with heart disease and old age. I wouldn't rely on it when someone is attacking me.

The idea is to quickly incapacitate someone so they can't do harm to you. If it takes a couple minutes for the person to be 'incapacitated', it didn't do its job.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:51:48 AM EDT
22LR is a disastrous defensive round.

OTOH, if you're on the offensive against an unsuspecting foe/victim the 22LR is close to ideal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:52:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 7:52:53 AM EDT by PBIR]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Cancer kills too, along with heart disease and old age. I wouldn't rely on it when someone is attacking me.

The idea is to quickly incapacitate someone so they can't do harm to you. If it takes a couple minutes for the person to be 'incapacitated', it didn't do its job.

You do know that any small arms round can take minutes to incapacitate depending on where you hit, right? I hope you don't think that your 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm whatever is a laser beam of instant death for any COM shot. I'm not saying the .22 is their equal in all cases, just want to make sure no one is under false impressions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:53:17 AM EDT

That is all I was trying to say. I do know you are more likely to kill someone/something with a 50 cal but sometimes I think people think getting shot with a 22 is like getting hit with a rock.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:54:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PBIR:

You do know that any small arms round can take minutes to incapacitate depending on where you hit, right? I hope you don't think that your 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm whatever is a laser beam of instant death for any COM shot. I'm not saying the .22 is their equal in all cases, just want to make sure no one is under false impressions.

Oh, definitely. But you don't get the shock or wound channel with the .22. Using a .22 is little better than stabbing with an icepick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:55:30 AM EDT
I've used a name to kill... Muad'Dib.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:59:26 AM EDT

Oh, definitely. But you don't get the shock or wound channel with the .22. Using a .22 is little better than stabbing with an icepick.

I dunno, I think I'd be pretty shocked if I was stabbed with an ice pick
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:04:44 AM EDT
IIRC - and I could be mistaken - but .22s and other pocket pistol calibers kill more people per year than any other calibers. At least thats how it was 20 years ago - it may be different now.

I remember this one kid in th dorms would brag he had a "J-22". "Yeah man, me and my 'J'... blah blah blah.

I didn't know just what a J-22 was. When I went to a gun shop and saw one I nearly died laughing. Big bad ass carrying around a girly gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:07:44 AM EDT
You can be killed by a needle in the right spot. (Brain stem, for one.)

Location, location, location. Get that right and the caliber becomes irrelevant.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:09:05 AM EDT
Blanks can kill.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:11:35 AM EDT
"Stopping Power - Where you hit the person and how many times you can hit them." ~ Dr. Vincent DiMaio
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:12:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 87GN:

Crime scene photos show a bolt action .22 LR
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:24:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
You can be killed by a needle in the right spot. (Brain stem, for one.)

Location, location, location. Get that right and the caliber becomes irrelevant.

CJ

+11111111
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:25:44 AM EDT
There have been many cases of people being hit by a .22LR, not realizing it at first, walking to the ambulance, and dying in hospital hours or days later.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:28:42 AM EDT

Obviously it does friggen matter.

You are a danger to yourself and those around you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:28:56 AM EDT
of course u can be killed with a 22lr

22lr was popular with the mafia doing "HITS" on people b/c it wasn't that loud and directed in the correct place on the head, DEADLY. It would bounce around like a ball in a pin-ball machine inflicting damage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:42:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 8:44:26 AM EDT by MauserMark]

actually yeah, it does matter.

I don't see people carrying 22 handguns as their main CCW that much. There's a reason for that. Why aren't any LE issued 22 handguns?

Obviously 22 can kill someone, show me a post that any respectable member on here said otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:42:48 AM EDT
Two of my friends were murdered with a .22 rifle - it can in fact kill.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:55:23 AM EDT
How many of the Virginia Tech victims were killed by a .22? I'm sure they weren't all killed by the 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:59:05 AM EDT
Yes it can kill and is dangerous, I suspect it's not more popular here because most discussion here is based on defense.

-JTP
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 9:02:41 AM EDT by rdnkar]
i shot one of my donkeys with a .22 in the head and it put it down instantly

edt. the donkey was injured very badly
{before the peta members bash me}
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:02:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Obviously it doesn't friggen matter too much.

The fact that you CAN be killed by .22 doesn't mean it's a great round for it. A friend of mine killed a deer with bird-shot once. Doesn't mean that bird-shot is as good for hunting deer as buckshot.

Both school shootings in Finland were with .22s
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:32:10 AM EDT

I have seen it do pretty much just that. A teenager who took a round through the left temple. The round didn't have enough energy to exit the skull, so it bounced around inside it for a while. Didn't scramble his brain, but it did drill multiple tunnels through key parts. I counted about 7 paths on the x-ray, there may have been more. The teenager was comatose for a few days and then died.

the Crainial Rickocet, is what i have heard it referred to at 2 trauma centers.
but, 90% of people think that a .22 is damn near harmless.
.22's kill. period.

they wont leave you DRT in most cases but sooner or later they will unplug you or call it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:47:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rdnkar:

I thought maybe it was because he was just being an ass.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:52:32 AM EDT
I would almost carry a .22 if it wasn't for reliability issues inherent with rimfire cartridges. Most people can put a magazine of .22 on target faster than one or two rounds out of a normal carry gun. Something with a well thought out mag would probably hold around 25 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:58:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rdnkar:

I thought maybe it was because he was just being an ass.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:41:45 AM EDT

My uncle killed his wife, then himself with this gun, a .22 Short.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:42:38 AM EDT
my grandfather took himself out with one. So, yeah, they work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:45:25 AM EDT
I heard that if you shoot someone with a 22lr the bullet will keep bouncing around off all their bones and liquefy their insides until their innards pour out of their asshole.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:45:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bblake00:
I've used a name to kill... Muad'Dib.

You geek.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:15:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By justsayin:
Originally Posted By 87GN:

Crime scene photos show a bolt action .22 LR

Huh. Okay.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:21:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 11:23:35 AM EDT by thelastgunslinger]
Originally Posted By DCN1982:

If it missed your vitals, it would hurt but not put you out of the fight.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:23:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TerribleTom:
22LR is a disastrous defensive round.

OTOH, if you're on the offensive against an unsuspecting foe/victim the 22LR is close to ideal.

Exactly.

Now how do I explain my strong desire for a suppressed .22 rifles and pistols?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:23:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
Originally Posted By DCN1982:

Is it missed your vitals, it would hurt but not put you out of the fight.

The same can be said for any small arm round, minus any pelvic girdle etc shot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:37:46 AM EDT
5 to the head from 2" will do it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:42:55 AM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top