Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 2:54:06 AM EDT
If I were to try and find a local person to make hi-cap mags, should I look for a machine shop, metalworker, gunsmith, etc?  Where should I start?

Hell, maybe I can go to a school that has a machine shop for their students and enlist their help as a project?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking metal welder.

Go could use flat sheets of metal and bend and weld..  Then just buy the springs and followers

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Making production mags is a serious industrial task. You'll need tool and die makers, a large punch press, maybe a hydro press, a welder, and more than minor fixturing. You can probably get one or two prototype mags from a genuine old school craftsman, but they are getting harder to come by. A small model shop is the most likely place to find one. Do you have prints of what you want to make?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I just found out that DPMS is going to make the 30 rounders for their .22LR upper - so I don't think I'll be going into the business now :)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
CNC!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CNC!  

Um who would pay $100 a mag?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CNC!  

For the last 10 years?  Thousands of people!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, I just found out that DPMS is going to make the 30 rounders for their .22LR upper - so I don't think I'll be going into the business now :)

Production tooling for 30 round .22LR AR mags would probably have run you in the neighborhood of  a quarter million.  After you had a design. Start up costs for something like that are just brutal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CNC!  

For the last 10 years?  Thousands of people!

Not me . Most I ever paid for a mag was $20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top