Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 1:54:28 PM EDT
Now that the ban is gone, I expected to see the major manufacturers offering AR pistols, but I don't see any - not even kits. The notable exception is Bushmaster's Carbon series pistol.

What gives?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I never really understood AR pistols anyway.

Does someone sell holsters for those things?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]

but I don't see any - not even kits. The notable exception is Bushmaster's Carbon series pistol.

model1sales offers them in kit form
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Me neither.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

but I don't see any - not even kits. The notable exception is Bushmaster's Carbon series pistol.

model1sales offers them in kit form

I'd rather have my testicles torn off in a tragic machine shop accident than shop there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]

I'd rather have my testicles torn off in a tragic machine shop accident than shop there.

I get your drift...try m-aparts then...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I built one right after the AWB-sunset just for fun.  I had never really wanted one until they were banned, then I didn't want one bad enough to pay what they were bringing.  SBRs aren't allowed here, so after sunset I thought "Why not?"  It has been a fun range toy -  no more, no less - which is all I expected of it...

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I built one right after the AWB-sunset just for fun.  I had never really wanted one until they were banned, then I didn't want one bad enough to pay what they were bringing.  SBRs aren't allowed here, so after sunset I thought "Why not?"  It has been a fun range toy -  no more, no less - which is all I expected of it...

Yup, that's all I want one for is a range toy. How well does it bump fire?

Edit: where did you get your kit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Does someone sell holsters for those things?  

That was going to be my next question.

I'll go ask at the Airsoft forum.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/ARPistolCase-Open.jpg

How hard is it to shoot? We cannot have SBR here either so i was thinking of building one. I dunno.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither.

Add another one to that list...from what I understand, the ballistics dont lend themself to a really useful application when firing 5.56 out of a handgun barrel. More to the point, why take a round designed for distance, and fire it through a weapon designed for 25 yard or under conditions?

Im sure its a fun toy, and if you can afford toys like that, enjoy...I just never understood the puspose of that configuration.

Anyone actually use one as a CCW?
How do you carry it?
What size mag do you use?

I know that somewhere....someone...is carrying one concealed with a 30 round mag. (and somewhere way out there....someone is carrying the same as above, but with tracers, and a second 30 rounder on one of those mag clips)
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#12]
There is one in my gun case...
As for why, well they just look kewl. (even though they really aren't that practical for anything.)

DK, no holsters that I know of, I just hang it under my trench coat on a shoulder harness I made myself... Hmm... maybe I need to get a picture to post here.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither.

+2

MAYBE if it wasn't for that buffer tube sticking out the back of it....(i know I know, they make ones without, but talk about expensive!)
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
How about a Krink-style AK-74 pistol?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
What I always wondered was why they were never even considered as a PDW by the military.
Parts commonality, same cartridge, it may look silly but if it works... ??

Then again, how is the muzzle blast on those things? Flash would prolly be an issue too, or does the flash hider take care of that from such a short barrel?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard the bullet loses a lot of speed out of that short of a barrel.

I would be very apprehensive about buying one.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is one in my gun case...
As for why, well they just look kewl. (even though they really aren't that practical for anything.)

I can identify with that - pretty much the same reason I got the SBR.

DK, no holsters that I know of, I just hang it under my trench coat on a shoulder harness I made myself... Hmm... maybe I need to get a picture to post here.....

You have to post a picture of that!!!     Feinstein might see it and immediately have a massive heart attack!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither.

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/963911/arpistol.jpg

Um - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a foregrip on a pistol considered a big no-no?

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a foregrip on a pistol considered a big no-no?

Yep, that's an AOW there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
practical or not.

we all should have one in the collection.

and they should be refered to as a Finestien special.

just because.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, that's an AOW there.

+1  Big no-no.  I was waiting to see that happen with one of  those Oly-arms uppers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...How well does it bump fire?

I don't know - I've never bump-fired any of my weapons, this one included.  It can be conventionally fired very quickly, very easily.  (Enough that a couple of my neighbors who understand what full-auto fire is wanted to know when I had bought "machine gun"... )

Quoted:
... where did you get your kit?

I didn't buy a kit.  I bought the buffer assembly and the 11.5" barrelled upper separately from a couple of different folks on EE and built it on a stripped RRA lower that I had 4473'd as a pistol.

Quoted:
How hard is it to shoot? We cannot have SBR here either so i was thinking of building one. I dunno.

Not difficult.  I use the low-recoil frangible USGI stuff in it, which cuts down on some of the excess blast/recoil/noise you otherwise get from the short barrel.  Like I said above, it's only a range toy to me so I'm not really concerned with terminal ballistics.

But it is fun!  I can be at the range with ARs in a dozen different configurations and that is the one everyone wants to shoot - go figure...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Most importantly, do they bump fire well?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Shit! I am still fucken waiting on DPMS to get us 30 round mags for their .22 conversion AR15.
Its like the all the AW manufacturers have said fuck you to all of us.
Especially Colt.

Colt certainly has, even before the ban.. But I know for a fact that DPMS is working on or about to release their standard capacity .22 mags. IM FIRST IN LINE!!!!

The AR pistols are kinda silly in my opinion, but many of the smaller outfits are selling them.. Try Ameetec, last time I was in Warrens office he had a stack of pistol barrels and im pretty sure he has some pistol lowers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#26]
An AR15 pistol is the perfect "truck-gun".

Here in PA it's illegal to keep a loaded long gun in your vehicle.
It IS legal to carry/keep a loaded HANDGUN in your vehicle if you have a concealed carry permit...

I'd say the AR15 pistol is a good "vest penetrating" compromise to the FN 5.7...(provided you don't plan to holster it.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#27]
How about a pistol caliber AR pistol?

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I didn't buy a kit.  I bought the buffer assembly and the 11.5" barrelled upper separately from a couple of different folks on EE and built it on a stripped RRA lower that I had 4473'd as a pistol.

Model 1 sales pistol buffer kit, right? how'd you get that thing to work? My springs wear out after 2 mags. i'm using the wolff long slide 1911 springs. IF i trim em shorter, they don't work. And if i leave em longer, they only last around 50-75 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Model 1 sales pistol buffer kit, right? how'd you get that thing to work? My springs wear out after 2 mags. i'm using the wolff long slide 1911 springs. IF i trim em shorter, they don't work. And if i leave em longer, they only last around 50-75 rounds.

No - mine is a much older, used pistol-buffer set-up.  I don't know the manufacturer, but it seems to be very well-made.  I haven't replaced the used spring or anything else except the locking plate - I replaced it with one that had a single-point sling attachment point:

My pistol hasn't any feeding/ejection problems at all, with either generic factory stuff (Georgia Arms) or the aforementionedUSGI frangible rounds.  I did a few quick-and-dirty mag-dumps the first day I shot it after assembly - zero problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No - mine is a much older, used pistol-buffer set-up.  I don't know the manufacturer, but it seems to be very well-made.  I haven't replaced the used spring or anything else except the locking plate - I replace it with one that had a single-point sling attachment point:

Appears to be identical to mine. I think that's a model 1 sales, but i could be wrong. My springs keep getting bent to shit and evnetually break.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Old school AR18 based pistol. Owned for about 16yr's now...

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#32]
This is from an Airsoft site, (and no I don't do airsoft, I think it's gay) but answers the question about someone maiking a holster for an AR.

AR Holster here
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#33]
But do they bumpfire? We need video!

CH
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

CH

LOOK HERE. - About halfway down Page 20 there is a link to video of AR Pistol Bump-firing...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CH

LOOK HERE. - About halfway down Page 20 there is a link to video of AR Pistol Bump-firing...

That settles it. I need a pistol and an extra beta mag!
CH
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This is from an Airsoft site, (and no I don't do airsoft, I think it's gay) but answers the question about someone maiking a holster for an AR.

AR Holster here

Actually, that's pretty damn cool...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

thats cool!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Anybody check out the ppictures past the AR holster?  I'd like to see someone actually fire a real shotgun like that.  Is that really the best use for that P90?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

AR Holster here

Interesting pics on that site:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top