Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/10/2007 8:30:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2007 8:32:39 AM EDT by die-tryin]
Ive decided to put some more time and effort (hopefully not much money) into my BOV (bug out vehicle aka my Blazer)

Here she is for those that havent been keeping track.

CLICK ME FOR SHORT VIDEO!!!!

Here are some ideas im toying with:

1) Over the cab roof rack (itll be lightweight aluminum) itll be able to hold small stuff like duffle bags, large tents, etc. Itll also ahve perimeter lights on the front and sides

2) Replace body mounts , no lift jus replacing worn out mounts

3) Reorganize the rear cargo area. Im thinking of getting one of those boxes that lays flat and has drawers that lock and slide out. I have to research cost and size.

4) Snorkel - Im debating about this. From what Ive read an FJ80 or FJ60 ARB safari snorkel will work. I can get a ram air, air cleaner assembly for my Holley carb. It would jus be a matter of routing the air ducts and putting the snorkel on. My one dilemna is going thru trees, etc. Dont wanna rip it off. Also what kinda power loss would I get going from open element to air ducting.

This are just some ideas Im toying with at the moment. Im just trying to make my truck as versatile as possible. I realize its hard to get one vehicle to do it all. lol.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 9:30:19 AM EDT
Sounds like some great plans. I love your truck and watching how it's progressed.

WRT the cargo drawers, I've seen the super expensive ($800>) metal locking ones, and there's also a line of plastic ones that are significantly cheaper ($250) ones.

Research law enforcement outfitters and equipment for those drawers, that's where I've seen the best prices and most options for use in LE SUV's.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 10:34:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pevrs114:
Sounds like some great plans. I love your truck and watching how it's progressed.

WRT the cargo drawers, I've seen the super expensive ($800>) metal locking ones, and there's also a line of plastic ones that are significantly cheaper ($250) ones.

Research law enforcement outfitters and equipment for those drawers, that's where I've seen the best prices and most options for use in LE SUV's.

Ill have to check my GALLS Catelog, they have stuff like that in there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 7:16:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 8:33:23 AM EDT by caduckgunner]
Get the roof rack. You can reorganize your cargo area after you put the rack on. Look at Yakima baskets. They even have a spare tire holder that will create more interior space. Also check out Off Road Unlimited.

As for the snorkle, don't waste you money unless you want to spend a lot more. To make your truck be able to ford streams deep enough to need a snorkle, you would have to seal your entire electrical system ( I belive your's is a 1986, so your carb is computer controlled ), and all your other wiring. You will also have to install electic fans with a cut-off switch. If you look at military blazers with deep water fording kits on them, you will notice that there tailpipe is raised above the roof line also.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:28:21 AM EDT
yeah I understand what your saying. Mine is 84 w/ aftermarket carb, no computer, but still alot of wiring, else where.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:30:57 AM EDT
GPS?
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 11:38:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dtrosch:
GPS?

Well, id just get a handheld and mount in there. There are times that one would be nice, but not necessary, so im not totally sold on them quit yet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 12:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 1:05:58 PM EDT by caduckgunner]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 12:42:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
www.thewebwheeler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=986&d=1181199013

Just leave the fugly lightbar off

Red X
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:52:45 PM EDT
Is it gas or diesel? If its gas the snorkel probably won't do you anygood unless you have a waterproof ignition system. What little I know about them, they can be real expensive and hard to obtain.

An open element air cleaner isn't doing you any favors as it is, so I doubt you will notice any loss with a snorkel. Open elements draw in hot, underhood air. Some of the cars I work on actually set check engine lights and often run like shit if the air cleaner is not properly sealed to the mass air flow sensor. They just don't like hot air at all.

I like the idea of perimeter lighting and a roof rack.

Don't forget with a snorkel you will want to add vent hoses to the gear boxes to raise the vent point much higher than stock.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:59:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Is it gas or diesel? If its gas the snorkel probably won't do you anygood unless you have a waterproof ignition system. What little I know about them, they can be real expensive and hard to obtain.

An open element air cleaner isn't doing you any favors as it is, so I doubt you will notice any loss with a snorkel. Open elements draw in hot, underhood air. Some of the cars I work on actually set check engine lights and often run like shit if the air cleaner is not properly sealed to the mass air flow sensor. They just don't like hot air at all.

I like the idea of perimeter lighting and a roof rack.

Don't forget with a snorkel you will want to add vent hoses to the gear boxes to raise the vent point much higher than stock.

My truck isnt computer controlled, but I do understand the hot air thing, but is MORE air (being hot or cold) still better than restricted air? That is my issue. But I think ill skip the snorkel idea for now.

Ill look into the roof rack, its been on my "To Do" list for awhile now.

ive already ran vents from the Tranny and front and rear vents, I need to see if the TransCase has one. Here are my vent lines, they are as high in myengine bay as humanly possible. Its the 3 red filters on the top right of the pic.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:11:49 PM EDT
If its hot air, then you aren't getting more because its less dense than cold air.

Hot air does not produce as much power. I would run a factory style air cleaner with the big air duct, or if you are inventive build something. There is a company that sells really nice air cleaners with dual ducts. GM had some factory versions that were dual snorkel also, I know there was a camaro/firebird one for sure.

You could get in to a real long and drawn out conversation about the benefits of cold air intakes and such, but suffice it to say that in 99.999% of applications, cold air is better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:44:30 PM EDT
If you are worried about that Snorkel grabbing trees then you shouldn't get a roof rack, thats a HUGE tree catcher, I have had to reach my hand out the window to lift branchs for my Moon Visor, I do understand that it would prob be empty if you are in the woods, and it is Way more durable than plastic but I still think it would hang up on stuff alot

I like your idea of the cargo drawer, I have had the same idea

and the T-Case should have a vent hole on it, I know alot of the Broncos do
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:55:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DBerk:
If you are worried about that Snorkel grabbing trees then you shouldn't get a roof rack, thats a HUGE tree catcher, I have had to reach my hand out the window to lift branchs for my Moon Visor, I do understand that it would prob be empty if you are in the woods, and it is Way more durable than plastic but I still think it would hang up on stuff alot

I like your idea of the cargo drawer, I have had the same idea

and the T-Case should have a vent hole on it, I know alot of the Broncos do

yeah ill get the Tcase vented up to the other filters, I actually think ive already done this and jus ran the hose up there, it was the size of vacuum hose. Ill have to check.

The snorkel is on the back burner for now.

The cargo rack will end up being a low profile design, Im getting the feeling im going to have to have it made, I can get lightweight racks all day long, its the mounting and sizing (ill have to use gutter mount). Not too worried about the trees, its something ill jus deal with

The cargo drawer will have to be made as well, im guessing , i need to get sizing on what is available. They arent cheap from what ive seen and im guessing they would add weight, my truck weighs enuff already, so I may stick with my plastic foot locker box for now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 5:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 5:03:49 PM EDT by Slacker]
Does your truck have the 700R4 tranny? If so, I'd consider beefing it or adding an aux cooler. They were not known for durability.

Do you have manual hubs or the factory? If factory I'd swap them for Warn premiums.

Do you have on board air? If not, then look into using your factory AC compressor. Having air is handy as heck while on the trail.

Do you have a 2" class 3 rcvr hitch? Thats a must have in my book.

How about a BOT (Bug out trailer), pintle hitch off road capable?

Do you have an inverter or dual battery setup for AC power? (I'd rather have a Honda eu2000i, but its good to have options)

How about Skid plates or rocker guards?

How about a vise? Replacing U-joints without a vice is a PITA. I'd mount in on the bumper (removable).

Oh I like this game!

btw, I traded my K5 for a 4 wheeler (to put in the back of my 2500HD pickup!)
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 5:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 5:11:34 PM EDT by die-tryin]

Originally Posted By Slacker:
Does your truck have the 700R4 tranny? If so, I'd consider beefing it or adding an aux cooler. They were not known for durability. yes 700r, ill look into the tranny cooler, wonder how hard they are to add, doesnt vehicles have tranny cooler up by radiator, or is that diff type?

Do you have manual hubs or the factory? If factory I'd swap them for Warn premiums. I put WARN Gold Premiums when I got the truck, it was like my first upgrade, lol

Do you have on board air? If not, then look into using your factory AC compressor. Having air is handy as heck while on the trail. My factory AC works, Ive looked into it extensively and its still on the list, but mounting a tank and the compressor have caused me to fall short. right now im running a 20lb CO2 tank (power tank)

Do you have a 2" class 3 rcvr hitch? Thats a must have in my book. yes, ive got a hella rear bumper bolted directly to the frame

How about a BOT (Bug out trailer), pintle hitch off road capable? Im working/researching this, ive got a design in my head that im tryin to dupicate, basically its a trailer with utiity boxes on the sides and the middle is open for dirtbike

Do you have an inverter or dual battery setup for AC power? (I'd rather have a Honda eu2000i, but its good to have options) I have a small invertor and I do have dual batts. I run the 2nd batt as backup only, not as an aux

How about Skid plates or rocker guards? Im looking at some rocker panels guards as well speak, the problem is the frame is pretty far in from the body, so the rocker arm guards got to mount to the body or way up under the frame

How about a vise? Replacing U-joints without a vice is a PITA. I'd mount in on the bumper (removable). I dont have one, but its an idea, one of the issues is cargo room, so adding stuff like vises and bigger parts is an issue

Oh I like this game! Me too!!

btw, I traded my K5 for a 4 wheeler (to put in the back of my 2500HD pickup!)

Nice thoughts about my project you had there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 8:23:00 PM EDT by caduckgunner]

Originally Posted By die-tryin:
Does your truck have the 700R4 tranny? If so, I'd consider beefing it or adding an aux cooler. They were not known for durability. yes 700r, ill look into the tranny cooler, wonder how hard they are to add, doesnt vehicles have tranny cooler up by radiator, or is that diff type?

Make sure you get one. The biggest one you can fit! I lost 2 700r4's in both my trucks within a months time. It wasn't a cheap or happy time. Also get a trasmission temp gauge ( in fact I have a extra one I'll sell you for $25, complete with the sending unit and wiring. I think... They are very easy to install. You remove your grill, mount it with the supplies mounts, run your hoses, disconnect the stock trans coller lines to radiatior fittinf, andd supplied fittings, and that's it.

How about Skid plates or rocker guards? Im looking at some rocker panels guards as well speak, the problem is the frame is pretty far in from the body, so the rocker arm guards got to mount to the body or way up under the frame

Check this place out for sliders. You should also be able to have a decent fab shop make the up. have them mount to ehrtr the body mounts are, they will hold the weight of the truck.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:33:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 8:44:01 PM EDT by caduckgunner]
I saw your post on ck5 about body mounts. Make sure you install poly ones. I'm sure they are cheaper than rubber, and they last for ever.

Here is why a roof rack is useful. Who cares about tree branches, they brake or can be cut down fast with a chain saw in a bug out situation.

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:20:21 AM EDT
Great looking truck, I'm jealous. Been eyeing a Diesel Army Blazer that's in the neighbor hood being sold 2nd party.

I think you need an urban-o-flage paint job. Maybe dark gray with a black stripe instead of white with blue?
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:47:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:
Great looking truck, I'm jealous. Been eyeing a Diesel Army Blazer that's in the neighbor hood being sold 2nd party.

I think you need an urban-o-flage paint job. Maybe dark gray with a black stripe instead of white with blue?

thanks. Ive thought about paint, its been on my mind, ive got some ideas but I dont want it to stand out too bad. This thing is a beast considering all the newer "plastic" suvs I see.

So, ive narrowed down some things im going to tackle off the bat.

1) Tranny cooler

2) Rock Sliders
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:35:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2007 10:42:23 AM EDT by Alacrity]
Wouldn't worry about limbs across the roof rack - windshield's another matter. If your going to be taking on brush, work up some limb risers. Kinda posuer but it beats a wrecked windscreen.

Another thing to consider - you cant have enough fuel.

ETA you can build a org box outta wood that can double as a sleeping platform. Might not save you much money, but you can build it to your specs and easier to bolt things to than the plastic ones.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 12:43:50 PM EDT
I would go the roof rack route with lighting. I would like to find a roof rack that can support the weight of a person up there. Most of the racks that I have seen mount to the existing factory roof rack so I'm not real sure what kind of weight they can handle.

I do plan on doing the perimeter lighting thing. It would come in handy a lot.

Do you have any radio equipment in your vehicle yet? You could pick up a console and radios?
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:17:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ThePrepared_com:
I would go the roof rack route with lighting. I would like to find a roof rack that can support the weight of a person up there. Most of the racks that I have seen mount to the existing factory roof rack so I'm not real sure what kind of weight they can handle.

I do plan on doing the perimeter lighting thing. It would come in handy a lot.

Do you have any radio equipment in your vehicle yet? You could pick up a console and radios?

I dont have any roof racks up there now. So id either go with a bolt on to the roof deal or gutter mount. Ive got an idea for a roof rack but I need someone to fabricate it and the one 4x4 shop I go to dont deal with that. But it would be a wicked design. Something copied straight from the Baja1000.

I have a CB right now hard mounted it. Eventually ill get a HAM setup, but its on the bottom of my list right now

I did snoop around my truck and ive already got an AUX Tranny cooler up front. The line hits the stock cooler (one running thru radiator) and then hits the tranny cooler up front and then back, so thats that, im not going to mess with any part of that, Ill leave it as is.

Ill be ordering some rocker bars soon.

And that is where we are at.

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:30:01 PM EDT
you could go all out and install a frame mounted roll cage, connected to a roof rack. serious weight capacity...

I'll come up w/ more later, i love this game too!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:33:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pevrs114:
you could go all out and install a frame mounted roll cage, connected to a roof rack. serious weight capacity...

I'll come up w/ more later, i love this game too!

LoL..well that would be a bit much for right now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 6:29:49 PM EDT

[

I did snoop around my truck and ive already got an AUX Tranny cooler up front. The line hits the stock cooler (one running thru radiator) and then hits the tranny cooler up front and then back, so thats that, im not going to mess with any part of that, Ill leave it as is.

Not trying to offend you but are you sure it's a trans cooler? Lots of GM trucks, including mine, came from the factory with a oil cooler, that looks just like a trans cooler, except the lines run to the oil filter mount.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 12:08:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By caduckgunner:

[

Not trying to offend you but are you sure it's a trans cooler? Lots of GM trucks, including mine, came from the factory with a oil cooler, that looks just like a trans cooler, except the lines run to the oil filter mount.

I dont know about GMs but just crawl under her and check where the lines run, another thing to try for your trans cooler is to JUST run through a cooler, not the Rad, I was told the Rad was used to warm up the fluid in the winter or something...
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 12:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 12:10:31 AM EDT by DBerk]

Originally Posted By Alacrity:
Wouldn't worry about limbs across the roof rack - windshield's another matter. If your going to be taking on brush, work up some limb risers. Kinda posuer but it beats a wrecked windscreen.

Alac

Got any pics of Limb Risers? I haven't seen any.. I prob wouldn't use one but would like to see what would PUSH them up and NOT snag them.

eta. NVM I googled em and they look pretty Poser ish unless you have a Land Rover...
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:38:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DBerk:

I dont know about GMs but just crawl under her and check where the lines run, another thing to try for your trans cooler is to JUST run through a cooler, not the Rad, I was told the Rad was used to warm up the fluid in the winter or something...

yes, it's called a heat exchange.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:00:09 PM EDT
Its a tranny cooler for sure. Im jus going to leave it be the way its setup. It goes from tranny to rad. to cooler and then back to tranny. It works, so im not going to mess with that. I may upgrade and mess with it later if I find myself towing stuff.

I just ordered some rocker panel guards (rock sliders), they arent really big or stick way out, but its something. Ive been itching to get some and been wanting to do something with my Blazer lately, hence this post. lol.

Im looking into a dual ram air setup, the problem is cost, (see my ram air vs open element post) So im trying to figure out if the gains outweigh the cost. Once I get that sorted out Ill either do the ram air or move on to another project. Ill do posts on any project that I do (rock sliders, roof rack, ram air, etc). All in do time.

I did see a wicked paint scheme that id luv to get. Its basically an urban camo. Mainly white with some shades of light tan and gray. On the vehicle I seen it on it looked good.

Im researching the roof rack ideas now, just not coming up with any thing I like, so thatll continue...............
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:02:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 3:03:17 AM EDT by Slacker]
If your looking for small but useful mods, consider adding a 12V underhood retractable work light. Mine was very useful. I also added a hiden kill switch (just a $12 keyswitch) for the ground. It gave me peace of mind when I left my blazer in remote area's. It will kill the radio presets, but that wasn't an issue to me.
I also like the locking lug nut, one on each wheel. Nice to know your wheels ain't going anywhere!
ETA: Locking gas cap is a good idea also.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:39:15 AM EDT

If your looking for small but useful mods, consider adding a 12V underhood retractable work light. Mine was very useful. I also added a hiden kill switch (just a $12 keyswitch) for the ground. It gave me peace of mind when I left my blazer in remote area's. It will kill the radio presets, but that wasn't an issue to me.
I also like the locking lug nut, one on each wheel. Nice to know your wheels ain't going anywhere!
ETA: Locking gas cap is a good idea also.

Ive got starter kill alarm system

Ive got locking gas cap

I had wheel locks, but have heard horror stories about them stripping out, etc. They can be defeated by a good set of channel locks anyways. My lug nuts stick out pretty far, they arent recessed in any.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:12:35 PM EDT
Rock Sliders (rocker guards) are ordered, should be here end of next week.

Had to buy a new grill, I was working on an idea and broke it, I think being over 20years old the plastic was brittle, my dual ram idea didnt work out like I wanted to. no biggie.

Im going to work on either onboard air , even though ive got CO2 tank, Bug Out trailer and/or roof rack. The OBA is the easiest to deal with. The roof rack is harder cuz i dont know what will fit and how good gutter mounts are. The bug out trailer is expensive for what I want, all the cool ones arent in the country.

I may have one built. My design calls for the center of the trailer to be open and enuff space for a med. size dirt bike (on/off road trail bike) and im thinking of having the ramp go underneith like the Uhaul trucks have their ramp hide away. Anyways, its a thought. lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:01:29 PM EDT
I am on dial up so the pic never got around to loading but here is my opinion on roof racks and tree limbs.

Get a front bumper that has some sort of grill gaurd, even a wimpy lightweight grill gaurd will work somewhat but I would reinforce the ends into the real bumper just because I like stuff to not flex.

Then run a wire from the grill gaurd up to the top of the roof rack.

I have been considering one of those big lumber racks for my pickup and it would have a part that extends over the cab of the truck.

My plan is to make 2 small rods stick up on the front of the rack over the cab and if needed I can run some small gauge wire, like clothes line wire, from my grill gaurd up to my 2 small posts.

The posts get the wire up higher so my stuff loaded on the roof rack will not be taking any of the force of the tree branches.

If needed you could also extend the wire on towards the back of the rack so that it guides the tree branches the entire way.

It also makes running on the highway with a tarped load pretty easy as well, I recently shredded a tarp due to not having a good way to tarp the load other than letting it ride against what it was protecting and what it was protecting killed the tarp in a few spots.

Of course I now have some tarp pieces to play with so it all works out in the end.

Sounds like you have a plan and I can't recall if you stick a grill gaurd on this blazer or not, and I am not in the mood to let dial up load pics tonight.

Have a good one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:13:20 PM EDT
WINCH #1 If your stuck the rest of that stuff is not much use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:22:58 PM EDT
Here is my BOV

2000 Jeep spot 4x4 5spd snorkle 5 inch lift whinch skid plates fully waterproofed dana 40 rear axle dana 35 front
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:29:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Giant:

He has a winch, he put it on with the custom bumpers he had built...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:25:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Giant:

Page 1 , Picture 1, its hard to see but you can see the hook on the front, that was one of the first mods I did.
Top Top