Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 5:20:30 PM EDT
If the B2 represents the hottest technology of the 1980's, how long do you think the genius-types at Skunk Works or some other such place have been working on its replacement?

What do you guys think it is?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They always say the last B-2 crew is going to be picked up from Davis Montham by a BUFF.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The F/A-22A has a F/B-22 variant that is supposed to be in the works. It has a wider wingspan and external stores. They're supposed to fly in after the F/A-22As clear and secure the airspace.

But I think the B2 will be around for a LONG time. The airframe is good, and they can upgrade the systems indefinitely.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The F/A-22A has a F/B-22 variant that is supposed to be in the works. It has a wider wingspan and external stores. They're supposed to fly in after the F/A-22As clear and secure the airspace.

But I think the B2 will be around for a LONG time. The airframe is good, and they can upgrade the systems indefinitely.

I'm sorry, did you just compare a F-22 to a B-2?!?!?!!!!

Everyone knows that the real replacement is the Super Hornet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quite possibly the B-2 is the last of the manned bombers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There will be two or three more generations of manned bombers, or nothing left to bomb.

The next machine will be a long range, high speed, mid weight bomber.

For a little while, an USAF UCAV is off the table - at least that's our interpretation of the QDR.  The Air Force is doing everything possible to preserve and sustain the F-22 and F-35 programs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
B/F-23.

but unmanned.

That plus the old bowling ball from orbit trick.  Future warfare is going to be about knocking out individual people from thousands of miles away.  

Don't destroy the bridge, drop a GPS-guided brick from 60,000 feet on the guy in the machine gun nest guarding the bridge.  Forget the JDAM on the AA radar installation, instead zap the technicians from 400 miles away with a laser.  

Bombers will be used to drop big-screen TVs and Paris Hilton DVDs on the population centers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, there's also that nifty flying-cruise-missile-delivery-platform thing that the B-52 does so well.  I don't know if the B-2 is capable of that, really.

All in all the B-2 is very cold war.  There's really not a need for a stealthy heavy bomber.  By the time the heavy bombers go in air defense has already been pretty well suppressed, and with standoff A-G weapons bombers are no longer as vulnerable to air defenses as they do not have to fly over their targets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, did you just compare a F-22 to a B-2?!?!?!!!!

Everyone knows that the real replacement is the Super Hornet.

Oh, please...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want a snap shot of whats coming to replace the B-2, look at the white world documentation for the USAFs FALCON program. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that we have either in development now, or in production an airbreathing hypersonic first stage aircraft to carry and launch either cheap, solid fuel powered Common Aero Vehicles or upper stages for accent to orbit. Forget the buff, think about ordnance on target anywhere int he world in 45 minutes. Think a 6,000 pound GPS guided depleted uranium penetrator hitting the ground at Mach 6 and going through 100 feet of earth and concrete like a hot knife through butter.

Even that should be supplanted in a decade or two with space based rail guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't destroy the bridge, drop a GPS-guided brick from 60,000 feet on the guy in the machine gun nest guarding the bridge.  .

The purpose of destroying a bridge is to prevent it from being used.
Not to prevent it from being guarded.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The FB-22 isn't going to happen, and the Air Force, especially in the QDR has basically said as much to LockMart. If they are doing anything with a mid-size ground attack aircraft right now it's some sort of faster/larger derivative of the FB-23, there has been much weirdness going on with the prototype that was a museum peice and an unexplained uptick in finance and employment at Northrup Grumman, the origional producer of the YF-23. (which should have won the ATF fly off by the way but NG was politically less expedient then the BLoMart alliance.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Un Manned Bombers
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you want a snap shot of whats coming to replace the B-2, look at the white world documentation for the USAFs FALCON program. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that we have either in development now, or in production an airbreathing hypersonic first stage aircraft to carry and launch either cheap, solid fuel powered Common Aero Vehicles or upper stages for accent to orbit. Forget the buff, think about ordnance on target anywhere int he world in 45 minutes. Think a 6,000 pound GPS guided depleted uranium penetrator hitting the ground at Mach 6 and going through 100 feet of earth and concrete like a hot knife through butter.

Dear Gott-In-Himmel, what will that do to the horrendous egos of the "Blue-Scarf Mafia?"

How will they survive having their jobs done by robots?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, there's also that nifty flying-cruise-missile-delivery-platform thing that the B-52 does so well.  I don't know if the B-2 is capable of that, really.

All in all the B-2 is very cold war.  There's really not a need for a stealthy heavy bomber.  By the time the heavy bombers go in air defense has already been pretty well suppressed, and with standoff A-G weapons bombers are no longer as vulnerable to air defenses as they do not have to fly over their targets.

The B1 is also rumored to be able to deliver cruise missiles as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The purpose of destroying a bridge is to prevent it from being used.
Not to prevent it from being guarded.

"Bastards!  They'll never guard that bridge again!"  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The real question is whether the US will have the money to pay for it, whatever it is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
B-52(Z)  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
DAMNIT!

I'm too slow on the smartass draw! First I was going to say a B-52, then I saw someone said it, then I was going to say Chuck Norris, but got beat to that punch too (or should I say Roundhouse kick)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The replacement?  Dropping asteroids on our enemies from a base on the Moon.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The replacement?  Dropping asteroids on our enemies from a base on the Moon.

GunLvr

Yup...no stoppin' a hypersonic KE weapon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear Gott-In-Himmel, what will that do to the horrendous egos of the "Blue-Scarf Mafia?"

How will they survive having their jobs done by robots?

I will dance on the graves of the fighter mafia, I'm sick of short sited decesions being made by the brass of USAF because, </special ed>hey look at us we drive planes</special ed>

The AF needs a Cheif from the missile and space side of the house in the worst way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#26]
If the Democrats win the next election, then the B2 will be replaced with a magic VW bus with wings that runs on environmentally friendly "love", is Kyoto compatible, and drops flowers approved by Islamic Imams of Peace.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL!

Riotously funny!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If the Democrats win the next election, then the B2 will be replaced with a magic VW bus with wings that runs on environmentally friendly "love", is Kyoto compatible, and drops flowers approved by Islamic Imams of Peace.

Don't forget they're flown by tie-dye wearing granola munching hippies on a permanent acid trip, maaannn.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget they're flown by tie-dye wearing granola munching hippies on a permanent acid trip, maaannn.

Hey man....those cats don't need the bus to fly, if you dig my drift...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top