Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/26/2007 11:12:04 PM EST
What specifically goes wrong with the 6.0L Diesels? I bought a used one for a work truck, and now I'm a little worried. I've heard of a couple turbos going, and numerous computer reflashes, but what other issues are folks having with them?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:16:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 11:16:57 PM EST by SubnetMask]
Quick anectode:

My brother in law used to work at a Ford dealership as a service tech. They have an intranet available to them, and it includes a web forum. It allows techs from across the country to discuss this and that (excellent resource BTW - it gives dealerships a decided edge). My brother in law gave me his login, and I used to read quite a bit while he was off work. Here's a funny one (remember, this is restricted to Ford dealer mechanics):

"Any ideas on improving the reliability of a 6.0 Powerstroke?"

My favorite answer? "Leave it in the driveway and hope for the best".

I'm just sayin'...
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:28:32 PM EST
I drive an F550 at work. Some of the numerous engine failures that I have experienced are turbo intake pipe failures (2x), coolant reservoir/cooling system failures (2-3x) and NUMEROUS injector failures. And those are just the issues that I can remember of the top of my head.

I don't know which comes first but when the coolant reservoir fails the computer fails, or vice versa (?). Kind of dangerous to be running code three in the fast lane and then to suddenly hear that POP and lose all power.

This truck has had seven or eight injectors go bad. Ford refuses to replace all of the injectors at once, so it's been out of service seven or eight times for injectors (warranty work). I think that I have a complete new set of injectors now but we will see.

When it runs this is a very nice truck. Gobs of smooth power. But it consistently breaks.

We run an old Dodge as a reserve rig when the Ford craps out. Cummins is the way to go. Too bad Ford doesn't use the Cummins diesel. That motor in a Ford would be a fine machine.

If this Ford F550 was my personal vehicle it would be gone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:40:15 PM EST
We replaced 2 turbos and a bunch of other problems have kept ours in the shop for while. Nothing recently, knock on wood.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:43:22 PM EST
I've seen intercooler hoses come loose. Fuel starvation of indeterminate cause as well.

We only had one. It was nice...till it started breaking. The old 7.3 was SOO much better!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:48:36 PM EST
So you mean Ford has an unreliable diesel to add to the rest of their stellar product line...when are people gonna learn?? The quality out of Detroit is so piss poor, yet you all have your hopes up.

It sickens me to continually see people get crushed.
Top Top