Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 12:00:22 PM EDT
I just got a facebook 'suggestion' to 'poke' a friend.....who was buried about a month ago.

Clicked on their page, others are writing comments to her, saying they had similar suggestions....weird.

Do they leave your page up forever? This seems like some sort of massive facebook fail.......
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing, what they are considering is making the pages a memorial.  But nothing more than rumors about it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing they will close it down if it stays inactive for a certain amount of time..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
How is facebook going to know they died?  The page will just "rot" like any unattended webpage out there.

Facebook probably has some kind of automated cleanup utility that deletes unmanaged pages after a certain amount of time with no updates and no responses to automated queries.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
How would they know? Do they get a copy of death certificate when people pass? Unless someone tells them they have absolutely no idea who is dead or not. How is this a Facebook fail?

I am guessing you didn't think this through all the way before you blamed them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm guessing they will close it down if it stays inactive for a certain amount of time..

Doubtful Facebook like many sites make money off how many accounts they have which is a number they use to show potential advertisers. The only reason they would close it is by request or if for some reason they needed to free up memory.  Which is unlikely. A facebook acct is money in the bank for them used or unused.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't speak for facebook but my wife's myspace page is up 3 years after she died.  I log in every now and then to see what friends request and stuff are on there but myspace doesn't care one way or the other.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How would they know? Do they get a copy of death certificate when people pass? Unless someone tells them they have absolutely no idea who is dead or not. How is this a Facebook fail?

I am guessing you didn't think this through all the way before you blamed them.

A 'fail' on facebook (telling me to poke a dead person...) is not the same as saying facebook is failing......you failure!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing, i'm guessing.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I doubt they'd do anything unless the executor of the estate or a relative contacted them and requested something.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't speak for facebook but my wife's myspace page is up 3 years after she died.  I log in every now and then to see what friends request and stuff are on there but myspace doesn't care one way or the other.

I'm sorry for your loss. If you don't mind my asking, do people still post stuff on her page now?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
A close friend of mine died in February and his is still active.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry for your loss. If you don't mind my asking, do people still post stuff on her page now?

Yah, she died on Nov 30, 3 years ago.  Her brother posted something on the 29th.  I usually post something on her birthday.  It is a shrine more than anything.

Her brother committed suicide a year later and nobody knew is password or anything.  The myspace people won't release that information.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a "link accepted" from someone over a year after they died.

very strange. his facebook page is still active... I'm sure his parents have taken it over.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine died years ago and Facebook has kept his page up. He doesn't even have anyone with password access to it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#15]
who cares? I'll be dead.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My best friend's myspace page is still up after 2 years.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
yep,I just got a reminder from facebook to re connect with a friend who has been dead for 2 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top