Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/9/2006 8:22:44 AM EDT
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/09/detroit-2006-2007-jeep-wrangler-revealed/#more-1294

If its a dupe, sorry...didn't see it.

To me, I'm not sure about the gigantic plastic front fenders, although the new hard top looks cool. I would imagine it is easier to take off, since it is in sections. I'm not liking the V6 either, over the ancient inline, and unless I read wrong I don't see a 4 listed. Where's the steel dash too? LOL...

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
It's not too bad.

I'm still waiting for the idiots to end up putting IFS and IRS in the Wranglers to finally alienate everyone that want a vehicle to use off road. They discontiued the solid axle Cherokee even though it sold well and replaced it with a IFS Liberty, re-designed the Grand Cherokee to take away it's solid axle and off road abilty for 2005, the Commander is IFS, and supposedly a modern Grand Wagoneer which it certainly isn't even close. The only thing worthy of of road use is the Wrangler...pretty sad from a Company that used to pride it self on off road vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 1:12:06 PM EDT by OregonShooter]

Sold in key international markets throughout the world, the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler is available with a diesel engine,

Now the question is.... Will it be avalible with a Diesel engine in the US?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:27:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

Sold in key international markets throughout the world, the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler is available with a diesel engine,

Now the question is.... Will it be avalible with a Diesel engine in the US?

Maybe they want to sell it here a year without it, then for something "new" in model year '08 they'd have it as an option...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 1:29:25 PM EDT by ORinTX]

Originally Posted By 89grand:
It's not too bad.

I'm still waiting for the idiots to end up putting IFS and IRS in the Wranglers to finally alienate everyone that want a vehicle to use off road. They discontiued the solid axle Cherokee even though it sold well and replaced it with a IFS Liberty, re-designed the Grand Cherokee to take away it's solid axle and off road abilty for 2005, the Commander is IFS, and supposedly a modern Grand Wagoneer which it certainly isn't even close. The only thing worthy of of road use is the Wrangler...pretty sad from a Company that used to pride it self on off road vehicles.

If they ever go the IFS/IRS route they'll lose a ton of business.

Me, I prefer to buy the older jeeps and put one ton axles on 'em
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:39 PM EDT
So you guys are saying that independant suspension is bad for off-roading? Wow, someone better let the Hummer H1 know that......
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:56:01 PM EDT
Umm those guys should already know that...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:28:28 AM EDT
Looks like the new jeep will be real easy to put after market flat fenders on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:29:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/09/detroit-2006-2007-jeep-wrangler-revealed/#more-1294

To me, I'm not sure about the gigantic plastic front fenders, although the new hard top looks cool. I would imagine it is easier to take off, since it is in sections. I'm not liking the V6 either, over the ancient inline, and unless I read wrong I don't see a 4 listed. Where's the steel dash too? LOL...

www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/jan9wrangler_2.jpg

Nothing really wrong with a V6. I guess then they're trashing the 4.0L six cylinder.

I think in the 80's the Cherokee there was a V6 model in that model. It looks like the current model, just with a different front end.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:51:43 AM EDT
I love my YJ. I dunno, I get the feeling this new style could grow on me though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:30:47 AM EDT
Bring back the CJ7 w/rubicon package!!! Sheesh.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:29:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8:

www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/jan9wrangler_2.jpg

Nothing really wrong with a V6. I guess then they're trashing the 4.0L six cylinder.

I think in the 80's the Cherokee there was a V6 model in that model. It looks like the current model, just with a different front end.

The 2.8 was a POS...They are just trying to consolidate their engine lineup, and for '06 the inline was only in the Wrangler...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:31:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ml271:
Looks like the new jeep will be real easy to put after market flat fenders on.

I've been looking at pics of the new Wrangler all week and there is just something wrong with the new stock units. I think because they curve down it looks like they are broken...I'm sure someone though, like you said, will make some small flat ones in the aftermarket...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:39:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
So you guys are saying that independant suspension is bad for off-roading? Wow, someone better let the Hummer H1 know that......

Independent suspension, especially front and rear sucks ass for off-road use. Where do people get the idea that Hummers kick ass off road? Hummers aren't really meant for serious off road, cruising through dirt and sand is not exactly serious off roading, they have ground clearance gains from the IFS and IRS but that's about the only benefit. Suspension flex is a must for off-road performance, exactly what inderpendent suspensions don't do well.

If you think IFS and IRS is the way to go, try keeping up with me off-road in a New Ford Explorer. Shit with their IFS and IRS they can't even keep more than 2 wheels on the ground when thing even start to get slightly rough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 8:42:03 AM EDT by demigod]

Off roading is not the primary function of the Hummer. Articulation is HORRIBLE on an H1. Look at the Rock Crawler crowd. You'll always find solid front axels on the serious off road vehicles.

Edit: Ruger boy beat me to the reply above!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:50:07 AM EDT
The Chrysler V-6? 3.7? One of the best engines Chrysler has ever produced,all it is,is a 4.7 V-8 with 2 cylinders lopped off. BTW,if I have to make payments on it,it ain't goin' off roadin', thats what a $1k Jeep is for.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:51:32 AM EDT
I'll stick with this one
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:52:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By demigod:

Off roading is not the primary function of the Hummer. Articulation is HORRIBLE on an H1. Look at the Rock Crawler crowd. You'll always find solid front axels on the serious off road vehicles.

Serious off-road vehicles? You mean like SCORE Trophy Trucks? Oh yeah, that's right.....

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 6:06:07 PM EDT by JC_]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 8:09:59 PM EDT by squeezecockerp7m8]

Originally Posted By demigod:

Serious off-road vehicles? You mean like SCORE Trophy Trucks? Oh yeah, that's right.....

highrevphoto.com/gallery/scorebaja500/tt/1_SCORE_5804.jpg

Aren't those 2 wheel drive? Every trophy truck that goes to Dakar gets its ass handed to it. BTW, there is a slight difference in Baja and trail riding, which is what most ppl. think of when they think off road...

eta: found online on an article about Trophy Trucks:

" While the general consensus is that 4-wheel drive is the way of the future in desert racing's top trucks, it remains largely a new science, and of the two high-dollar efforts to field such a truck, only one has succeeded - and at tremendous cost. Although cost may have been a determining factor, the team's decision to stick with the traditional 2WD design, it's more likely that the goals of light weight and simplicity were the greater determining factors. "

So, you really want to compare the IFS that is on 2WD trophy trucks to what most ppl. consider off roading? If you are making a case from 2WD being better offroad(what most ppl. consider offroad, not 800hp Baja racers) I'd love to hear it...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:30:20 PM EDT
First off, trail riding (or rock climbing or mud-bogging) isn't what I think of when I think of off-roading. It's the kind of stuff they do in SCORE. Second, from going trail riding with other people I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of "off roaders" would get by just fine with a 2wd with a locker and good tires. Third, rock climbing is one of the most boring things I've ever seen anyone do with a vehicle. I know that didn't have anything to do with anything, but when I typed it up above it made me remember how much I hate it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:38:04 PM EDT
The big plastic fenders are that way because they are REMOVABLE. The more I look into this Jeep the more I like it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:18:55 AM EDT

First off, trail riding (or rock climbing or mud-bogging) isn't what I think of when I think of off-roading. It's the kind of stuff they do in SCORE. Second, from going trail riding with other people I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of "off roaders" would get by just fine with a 2wd with a locker and good tires. Third, rock climbing is one of the most boring things I've ever seen anyone do with a vehicle. I know that didn't have anything to do with anything, but when I typed it up above it made me remember how much I hate it.

Ok, you are in a small majority, but that doesn't change the fact that SCORE trucks suck when they head overseas. When they tackle the DAKAR, they get killed...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:23:41 PM EDT

this is what I consider off roading. I think you're thinking of dirt roading.

Here's one from the same trail but a week earlier:

Top Top