Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:31:56 AM EST
The Luger thread got me thinking about this. Since the members of the "greatest generation" are becoming old and they're starting to die at a rapid rate, what's a good way to set yourself up to maybe get in on all the cool stuff they'll leave behind to ungreatful, or ignorant kids? I know from personal experiance from a couple of great uncles that went to Europe, they stole and shipped back anything that wasn't nailed down. I can only imagine what kind of war booty is in the attics of some of the vets that are still around. One day, they'll be dead, and their ungreatful, ignorant, liberal kids will be left with their stuff. If they're gonna sell a Luger for $100 just to get rid of it because it's Nazi or icky, I'd rather it be to me. How do I make sure I get the sellers to come to me? Keep an ad in the paper and Craigslist? "I buy war memorabilia, guns, etc. Call XXX-XXXX" Volunteer are a gun store? Get in the police auxilary and work the buy backs? Anything else?

Anybody have any good stories about stuff you got for a steal at an estate sale or from somebody's idiot kids who was afraid of it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:01 AM EST
Offer a free clean-out service. "We will clean out your attic or any other storage area in your house or garage for free, and clean, pack, and place back in storagee any items you wish to keep, and dispose of any other items in a responsible manner, at no charge to you. We
will buy certain types of items from you that you do not wish to keep but have some value."

Place that ad in the local freebie papers. Bide your time. You will get some hits.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:41:28 AM EST
There was a thread along this line about a month ago. The consensus at that time as I recall was that for the most part, most of the stuff the WW2 vets had has already been passed along. At this point the youngest vets are in their 80s, and dwindling every day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:02 AM EST
My Uncle/Best Friend passed away a few years back..........his adopted son/scumbag had his neat old firearms pawned by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:48:06 AM EST
Hey sonny-all of us aren't "Idiot kids" of WW2 vets. I have some nice stuff, like my Dad's A2 jacket (he's still around) ,and my Grandfather's WW1 uniform (fits me). I obtained a lot of stuff from other vets by showing my restored WW2 jeep,or my '42 Dodge Weapons Carrier at car shows-they are glad to find someone who is interested in that stuff. I had one old gentleman bring over an entire footlocker of stuff,along with blankets,shelter halves,sleeping bags,etc,etc-all mint stuff he had in his attic.The crowning piece for me was a mint original '44 jeep tech manual. You're a little late to the party-Me and my boomer buddies have piled up this stuff cheap and deep-I could easily have a museum of WW2 uniforms and gear-US,British,Japanese too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:56:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By jeep44:
Hey sonny-all of us aren't "Idiot kids" of WW2 vets. I have some nice stuff, like my Dad's A2 jacket (he's still around) ,and my Grandfather's WW1 uniform (fits me). I obtained a lot of stuff from other vets by showing my restored WW2 jeep,or my '42 Dodge Weapons Carrier at car shows-they are glad to find someone who is interested in that stuff. I had one old gentleman bring over an entire footlocker of stuff,along with blankets,shelter halves,sleeping bags,etc,etc-all mint stuff he had in his attic.The crowning piece for me was a mint original '44 jeep tech manual. You're a little late to the party-Me and my boomer buddies have piled up this stuff cheap and deep-I could easily have a museum of WW2 uniforms and gear-US,British,Japanese too.

Don't you guys worry. You'll all be dead one day too. And I'll be there, cash in hand. I won't get to enjoy the goods as long as you guys have, but I'll get my day in the sun, don't you worry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:58:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By jeep44:
let all your goods to me. I will take very good care of them. I even own attack dogs to protect my loot
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:02:25 AM EST
With the spend-like-a-drunken-sailor credit card generation getting in a bind, I have worked up a sideline business of buying up valuables from cash-strapped individuals.

Me being female, I tend to buy up jewelry from women who do not want their husbands to know how truly and deeply effed-up they are on credit cards, and they panic.

So, cash in hand, I buy things up, and make problems go away.

Then I sell "fine antique estate jewelry" on ebay.

Yes, I am an opportunistic vulture. But hey, I wasn't the one made them spend the grocery money on the Home Shopping Channel.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:12:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 8:13:53 AM EST by Busch308]
Folks, may I present my next door neighbor: Brigadier General James Cross, USAF (Retired)

When he passes I hope that he leaves me with his tales of times that I can only read about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:21:12 AM EST
Seriously, all kidding aside-this stuff has just dried up outside of eBay. When I started collecting militaria back in the late '80s, the antique stores were full of it-cheap. Uniforms,webgear,helmets,all that stuff. Even surplus stores had plenty of WW2 stuff-until the late '90s my local store had piles of messkits,canteens,and cups. I happened to walk in one day and find a stack of mint UNISSUED WW2 M1 helmets and liners-of course I bought them all.
Gun shows were the same-piles of Garands,take your pick,$250. Then you could go to the next table and pick out all the correctly coded parts for it that you might need to bring it back closer to its WW2 configuration. Barrels of WW2 stocks,too. M1 carbines? $150. Then you could go to another table and get all the NOS WW2 mags you wanted,still in the wrapping. Slings,mag pouches-it was all there. i once bought 10 of those Russian return 98K mausers-$50 each.
Militaria shows: unless you were looking for German stuff, or US Paratrooper stuff, it was all pretty cheap,and mostly unwanted-you might see another guy or two who was interested in the same stuff as you. You were competing against a couple guys, instead of the whole world on eBay.
Now,I just don't see anything-the antique stores have been cleaned out,the gun shows just have Chinese crap,and the guys at the militaria shows still have the same junk on their tables as years ago.
I've never had much luck dealing with the relatives of deceased vets-that plain old Japanese NCO sword that he brought back has turned into an ancient samurai sword worth thousands,and if you tell them honestly what it is worth, they figure you are trying to screw them. Good luck. The "good old days" of WW2 militaria have passed.
Top Top