Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 5:20:50 AM EDT
...do we "neutralize the threat" with less regard to "collateral damage" than we currently do? Not saying we carpet bomb population centers a la WWII, but perhaps infrastructure (dams, bridges, power plants, water supplys, etc.) and other making-it-uncomfortable targets get nailed HARD? Perhaps less concern when targeting something to what gets hit around it?

Reason I ask this is the current goings-on in the ME. I have often said, since the GWOT began, that we must be careful in what we ask for in regards to "democracy", as it's quite plausible (and likely) that a government popularly elected will NOT play nice and it will in fact be a reflection of the majority's wishes. Not liking us is one thing, but how do we handle it if such a situation arises where said country needs a military smackdown? At that point you could consider the citizens as part of the problem. No "liberation" as it's what they wanted.

Tough situation all around.......
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
This should be interesting.

5 pages
3 account locks
4 timeouts

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

5 pages
3 account locks
4 timeouts

As long as we refrain from "nuke 'em" comments it is *hopefully* thought-provoking as things are heading in that direction rather quickly it seems.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump, 'cause I'm seeing a lot of "If it's what the people want" stuff tonight in GD. Must really ponder how to deal with it should the situation arise.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 pages
3 account locks
4 timeouts

As long as we refrain from "nuke 'em" comments it is *hopefully* thought-provoking as things are heading in that direction rather quickly it seems.

Damn. I agree with Jamie Farr.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much the only true law of international relations is that democracies don't fight each other. There have been a few exceptions, but for the most part it doesn't happen.

If a truly democratic nation in the ME attacked the US, I don't think we would respond any differently than if a dictatorship attacked us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty much the only true law of international relations is that democracies don't fight each other. There have been a few exceptions, but for the most part it doesn't happen.

If a truly democratic nation in the ME attacked the US, I don't think we would respond any differently than if a dictatorship attacked us.

An open attack? Sure, pretty cut-and-dry. But exactly what are these particular chaps known for doing in modern times? It starts with a "T".......

ETA: I know the axiom of democracies not attacking each other is the norm, but what if the majority (notice I used that term, as there will be NO country on Earth that will have 100% moral support for anything) hates/dislikes us enough and is "brainwashed" (at least to us) to say "Fuck the Great Satan"?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But exactly what are these particular chaps known for doing in modern times? It starts with a "T".......

ETA: I know the axiom of democracies not attacking each other is the norm, but what if the majority (notice I used that term, as there will be NO country on Earth that will have 100% moral support for anything) hates/dislikes us enough and is "brainwashed" (at least to us) to say "Fuck the Great Satan"?

That would be a first in human history, best I can tell. At least an extreme rarity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
remember what happened in the Palestinian Territory when they were finally given free elections.

They voted in Hamas.

Excellent example. Now, if the Israelis were provoked by horrific actions tied to Hamas would they be justified in pole-axing Hamas and if a few "civilians" got it in the process too bad? (notice I'm shying away from advocating intentionally killing civilians, but looking at it from a "total war" perspective since there wouldn't be any "hearts and minds" to win)

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But exactly what are these particular chaps known for doing in modern times? It starts with a "T".......

That would be a first in human history, best I can tell. At least an extreme rarity.

We live in strange times my friend.

Again, open attack? Unlikely. A popularly-supported/elected government sponsoring or fomenting terrorism? Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A popularly-supported/elected government sponsoring/fomenting terrorism? Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.  

One country's terrorism is another country's intervention.

That game's been played for centuries. I don't think it changes the 'just war' analysis.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A popularly-supported/elected government sponsoring/fomenting terrorism? Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.  

One country's terrorism is another country's intervention.

That game's been played for centuries. I don't think it changes the 'just war' analysis.

Exactly my point. Terrorism against us overrules any bullshit grievances they perceive as having against us and therefore justifies a full military response, supporters (no matter who they may be) be damned!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting premise, OP.

Hope we don't find out, but my optimism level is not high at the moment.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top