Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 10:44:15 PM EDT
Magazine release problems, to be precise. (I didn't want that in the title, sounds too raunchy!) I ask because I notice that the XM8 has what appears to be the same sort of mag release you get on the AK, M-14, etc.

Are mags falling out over there? Is the AR-15 magazine system not up to par? Or is this a solution to a nonexistent problem?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the answer to a question that was never asked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
standard HK mag release.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That type of Mag. release is ambidextrous. That's the logical explanation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That type of Mag. release is ambidextrous. That's the logical explanation.

Good point. If I cant operate it with my dominant hand though, its useless. Looks like it can though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll ask some of the men over there and get their opinions.  I post the replies tomorrow.

That would be awesome! Even this HK issue aside, I figure that these past few years are the first time that we have had 30-rd AR mags in use for so long under combat conditions.

FWIW, I greatly prefer the AR system over the AK AK/HK/et cetera system. Sure, their way is sturdier (more contact points?), but the AR way is faster, and I suspect that it is sturdy enough. I know I've never had a mag fall out, but it's hardly prolonged combat conditions that I am using them under.

The ambi-issue makes sense, I suppose. What are south-paws in the service supposed to do now? (I assume they release the mag with their right hand?)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean the clip...right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged.  Because I want to read tomorrow's responses.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I never had any problem with the mag release in A-stan. Nor did I hear about any problems. It seemed to work just fine. It is probably a "feature" or something to make “new and improved”. They finally get our stupid rifles down to a reasonable size and shake out most of the problems and now they want to switch to fucking Buck Rogers anal probe. Now we get to start the whole process over. Oh well at least some Col. or Gen. will get a nice OER a good kick back and a nice job in the privet sector after he retires. sorry I'm done.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]
the only problems we had in Iraq with magazine issues, wasn't with magazines, it was with the cheap plastic SAW drums.  Those damn things were always breaking and falling off.  I had my SAW on top of the vehicle, and the plastic got so hot that it weakened and just fell off the SAW.

My team never had one problem with M16 magazines.

Our Beretta magazines didn't just suck, they were useless, completely, as in I wouldn't even think about using it if my MK-19 and SAW was empty of ammo and I was surronded by Iraqis, still wouldn't even think about using the pistol even then.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Our Beretta magazines didn't just suck, they were useless, completely, as in I wouldn't even think about using it if my MK-19 and SAW was empty of ammo and I was surronded by Iraqis, still wouldn't even think about using the pistol even then.

Those are pretty harsh words.  What was it about the Beretta mags that left such a bad taste?

I've owned a beretta for quite some time (about 10 years) and haven't had any problems - so this is especially interesting to me.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#13]
The problem is with the Checkmate mags. They have always sucked, always.
The mag body is good, you just need to put a Beretta spring and follower in it, or an aftermarket.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]

I wouldn't even think about using it if my MK-19 and SAW was empty of ammo and I was surronded by Iraqis, still wouldn't even think about using the pistol even then.

If it had come down to it, you would have used whatever you had to save your ass, and you know it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Magainze release problems, to be precise. (I didn't want that in the title, sounds too raunchy!) I ask because I notice that the XM8 has what appears to be the same sort of mag release you get on the AK, M-14, etc.

Are mags falling out over there? Is the AR-15 magazine system not up to par? Or is this a solution to a nonexistent problem?

www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/xm8s2rtmain.jpg

That is one ugly ass gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:10:47 AM EDT
[#16]
This is the stupidist question I have ever read!

Seriously!!!!!!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Never heard of the problem over here or the last 21 years in service.  Have seen a few people not seat the magazine properly, not do a pinch test (check to see if they chambered a round) and come up on target with a empty gun (non 18s on range).
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#18]
The only way I see them having a problem is if, during a high stress situation, they fail to seat the mag properly and it never locks in place.  This is a very common problem with tactical reloads.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are pretty harsh words.  What was it about the Beretta mags that left such a bad taste?

I've owned a beretta for quite some time (about 10 years) and haven't had any problems - so this is especially interesting to me.

The Checkmate magazines were unreliable if dirty or sandy. Considering the whole middle east is nothing else, this was a problem....

A group of us got together and sent a buddy some factory Beretta preban magazines in a care package. He never had another problem with his M9. The M9 problems in the sandbox are related directly to the Checkmate magazines.

Checkmate recently released upgrades that fix the problems from what I hear...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#21]

There you go.      
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Seriously!!!!!!

Sgatr15

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You mean the clip...right?

NO, he meant the MAGAZINE.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Seriously!!!!!!

Sgatr15

[computer voice/on]Comment Disallowed.  Other threads have already been tagged: This is the stupidist question I have ever read![computer voice/off]

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously!!!!!!

Sgatr15

+1

+2

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#26]

So...are our troops have magazine problems over in Iraq or Afghanistan?  

Why, funny you should mention it, yes- seems a GI I know in Afghanistan had all his copies of Maxim, Playboy and FHM confiscated from the Care pkg my family sent him....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I wouldn't even think about using it if my MK-19 and SAW was empty of ammo and I was surronded by Iraqis, still wouldn't even think about using the pistol even then.

If it had come down to it, you would have used whatever you had to save your ass, and you know it.

Problem is that the checkmate magazine would insure that the Beretta only got one round off.  I don't know if it was dirt or what not, but the spring in the magazine was so weak that bullets would fall out when the magazine was taken out of a pouch.  I am in a MP unit, so we had 120 soldiers who were equipped with Berettas, and every single one of them did that.  

It wasn't the pistol, it was the shitty magazines we got with them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#29]
That's jut HK's mag release from the G-36. Although it's AK style it has finget tabs added so the trigger finger can activate it, and the mag fits straight in the magwell like the M-16's.  The AR style is better (if you're a right handed sort of person).

I wouldn't characterize it as a solution to a no existant problem but rather as a different approach.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Apparently this is a non-issue.  The only responses I got from the troopers was that they had never heard anything about it.

I think I mis-read / misunderstood your post - did you just create this problem out of the blue?  Is this an imaginary problem?  

Thanks for the response.

Nah, I was just wondering why we are (potentially) going to switch to the HK way of doing mag changes, when the AR way seems much better (for us right-handed folks, at least.) I was just wondering if there was a reason other than 'Its the HK way', and it appears not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top