Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 5:31:15 PM EDT by JTAC_Supply]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:37:45 PM EDT
Ouch! Glad no one was seriously injured.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:51:13 PM EDT
not too bad...it's hard to determine a total loss by 3 photos...there are many factors. .... who the insurance company is- insurance companies total vehicles out @ different repair vs. cost %.... the age, condition, mileage, accessories, etc....basically if the vehicle is the initial repair estimate is 75-80% of the replacement value consider it a total, because once a body shop tears it down, they will find more damage, guarenteed...if it is a total loss be sure to have receipts for any $$ that you put in the vehicle in the past year...that will help...any questions feel free to IM me...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:57:15 PM EDT
I've heard that anytime the airbag deploys on a vehicle older than 7 years the insurance company writes it off as a loss so I'm seeing if anyone can give me a straight story on it here.

Not true...and there is legislation coming up in some states that will make it so air bags related damage cannot be figured in on a total loss claim. It all comes down to $$$. Insurance companies will do whichever is more cost effective.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:06:07 PM EDT
not and adjuster, I was rear ended in my truck 2 years ago. crumpled the bumper. Initial estimate was about 1800 to 2000. By the time all was said and done, the total cost was about 3200. I would say you are looking at about 6000 to 7000 to start. Just my experience.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 6:29:18 PM EDT by JTAC_Supply]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:35:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JTAC_Supply:
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, 6-7000 is about what I figured but will start getting estimates this week.

You know, my last truck was stolen in San Diego 2 weeks after putting in a new cooling system to the tune of $900 or so, and I just put on $500 in new tires for this one...LOL. Such is life.

Here is the other vehicle that darted across in front of me.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/jtacsupply/PoliceCaredit1024.jpg

You hit a stolen cop car? Did the crook give up then or get out to run away on foot?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:12 PM EDT

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, 6-7000 is about what I figured but will start getting estimates this week.

You know, my last truck was stolen in San Diego 2 weeks after putting in a new cooling system to the tune of $900 or so, and I just put on $500 in new tires for this one...LOL. Such is life.

Tell the police dept that you will consider not suing for several signed form 1s.

Glad to hear you aren't hurt. Were you wearing a seat belt? Them airbags are heavy duty stuff. You do NOT ever want to contact a deploying airbag while you are unrestrained.

GT
You should get to keep the cherry bar off the cop car as a trophy. You killed it, you keep it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 7:23:47 PM EDT by JTAC_Supply]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:22:31 PM EDT

Sorry, man, but that's just DAMN funny right there!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:32:37 PM EDT

Unfortunately the squad car wasn't stolen, it was being driven by an officer. He turned across my lane to go after a speeder.

Yeah, that light bar would look great on my truck I was belted in, after all the things I've read the last couple of days on airbags I'm glad I wasn't leaning up to get something off the dashboard or down to grab something I didn't know there were so many fatalities caused by airbags in minor crashes.

That bag is coming out of your dashboard/steering wheel at about 275 MPH. It will fuck you up. When you get them they are rated as flammable solids, but when we build 'em, it's 1.3 and 1.1 energetics.

Respect the airbags.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:55:54 PM EDT
My wife rear ended someone in her 1995 Camery, it had 72K on the clock and was in perfect shape before she fucked up.

The damage was not that bad, but the adjuster still totaled it.
He said it was due to the steering wheel airbag and the dirvers airbags being deployed.

The dash was all fucked up, I would say that at shop rates just fixing the dashboard would have cost over $2500.

We got $8350 out of the insurance company.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:24:25 AM EDT
Now the question is, what citation was written?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:35:18 AM EDT
Ouch... holy shit... glad you're okay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:36:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:

That bag is coming out of your dashboard/steering wheel at about 275 MPH. It will fuck you up. When you get them they are rated as flammable solids, but when we build 'em, it's 1.3 and 1.1 energetics.

Respect the airbags.

Yes, repect the airbags.......BUT, they don't come out at 275mph. Steering wheel bags come out at 100mph and passenger bags come out at 150mph due to the fact that they have more distance to cover. All bags come out and deflate within .3 seconds. They have huge holes in them. They are called "S.I.R." systems for Supplimental inflatable restraint. That means they are suppose to "suppliment" the set belt.

Almost ALL insurance companies total vehicles at 70% value. If you go to Kelly Blue Book and honestly enter your vehicles description before it was shortened, take off 30% and you will get a good idea of what it will take to total it out. Most bag deployments can run the cost up quick as they have multiple expensive components to replace. It's a different car alltogether but the last one I repaired was $2600.00 in just air bag repairs. I have done some up to $3400.00 and others under a grand.
Top Top