Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:34:56 PM EDT
Assuming there was NOT a crash at Desert One and the newly formed Delta unit DID successfully extract our hostages in Iran April 1980...

1. Would the Islamic terrorism community have been put "on notice" as they were following the SAS raid at Princess Gate April 1980? Would they learn to fear a a special responce from ANY western power?

2. Would Carter have received positive recognition for his decisive use of Special Forces? Would he have won re election as a result?

3. Would the US military (under Carter or Reagan after 1980) still recieve the much needed overhaul and upgrade that was seen under Reagan?

4. Would the 1983 bombings (also in April) of a Marine base in Lebanon even have happened? Would Isamic terrorists have been conditioned to fear western special operation forces?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My crystall ball is in the shop right now...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When ifs and buts are candy and nuts, it will be Christmas every day!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Had it been sucessfull many thing would have changed, and the Peanut farmer would hve been around for 4 more years and we would not have gotten Regan and a rebuild of the Mil.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to preface this by saying that, even if the copter hadn't crashed, I don't think Eagle Claw would have gotten the hostages out alive.  Some might have made it, but the most likely outcome of the operation was a lot of dead Iranian "students," some dead American operators and a lot of dead American hostages.  A better tactic would have been to launch bomber strikes on Iranian targets every day, and keep it up till they released the hostages.

Quoted:
1. Would the Islamic terrorism community have been put "on notice" as they were following the SAS raid at Princess Gate April 1980? Would they learn to fear a a special responce from ANY western power?

That depends on how well the Delta guys dished it out.

2. Would Carter have received positive recognition for his decisive use of Special Forces? Would he have won re election as a result?

Probably.

3. Would the US military (under Carter or Reagan after 1980) still recieve the much needed overhaul and upgrade that was seen under Reagan?

Not as big of one.

4. Would the 1983 bombings (also in April) of a Marine base in Lebanon even have happened?

If we were there, yes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm going to preface this by saying that, even if the copter hadn't crashed, I don't think Eagle Claw would have gotten the hostages out alive.  Some might have made it, but the most likely outcome of the operation was a lot of dead Iranian "students," some dead American operators and a lot of dead American hostages.  

I wondered about that too. As I was looking at the intended "plan" for EC it did look terribly optomistic. Of course I thought the same thing about the Hanoi raid and they (not Delta) pulled that off (except for there being no POWs to rescue).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top