Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 3:28:31 PM EDT
The Arsenal of Democracy willing to help those who yearn to breath free. Especially those suffering under the yoke of communism.

So where were we in 1989 during Tiananmen Square?

[img]http://www.rollins.edu/history/Web%20Pictures/Tiananmen%20Square%202.jpg[/img]

Where were we when TRUE PATRIOTS did what we only talk about. In 1989 unarmed men and women faced a tyranical, oppressive government who moved FIRST with a military response.

Where were we?

We seem to have zero problem sending unreal amounts of aid and arms to any country on "our list" of buddies but leave a lot of deserving people out in the cold with little more than a "ain't that a shame."

The 1989 Chinese uprising was popular and on the heels of the fall of communism in Eastern Europe and soon after the Soviet Union itself. Our intervention and or assistance could have toppled a genuine communist threat to the US that remains today.

A rescued China would be very favorable to the US, as they were in WW2 with the AVG fighter groups. Why didn't we help?
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems to me that we only fight against governments that we know we can beat. America sure isn't gonna screw with China and thier large amount of troops and nukes. There would be to much loss of life on our side.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
[sarcasm]We are a republic not a democracy. NIMBY[/sarcasm]

In case anyone missed it, no love for the red bastards!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
CLARIFICATION: The uprising in Tiananmen Square came before the fall of communism in the vast majority of the world. The Soviet Union didn't fall apart for another two years.

Aside from that, I agree with SA.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in a Chinese Restaurant having General Tso's Chicken and a Tsing Tao...[;D]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CLARIFICATION: The uprising in Tiananmen Square came before the fall of communism in the vast majority of the world. The Soviet Union didn't fall apart for another two years.

Aside from that, I agree with SA.

View Quote

I noted as much in my original posts. And as for popular uprisings being successful, the one 50 years ago seemed to have worked.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
We were here minding our own damn business like we should have been. Being the world police is a bunch of bullshit. All it's done is made us enemies with 75% of the world and cost us trillions of dollars.

What have we got as a return on helping others out? Certainly not respect or friendship. Usually it's just dead soldiers and bills to pay.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
We can't get out in the streets and stop some of the outrageous things that our own government does. Everytime someone brings up the a proposal to march against some form of US tyranny, against their own people, there are a million and one excuses why we can't do such things.
Why even the question of where were we when some other people were being trampled?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about all this "we" S#1T, But I was in Panama killing Noreiga's guys in '89.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We were here minding our own damn business like we should have been. Being the world police is a bunch of bullshit. All it's done is made us enemies with 75% of the world and cost us trillions of dollars.

What have we got as a return on helping others out? Certainly not respect or friendship. Usually it's just dead soldiers and bills to pay.
View Quote

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with you - we do far too much of this "world police" crap. However, I also think there are seems it is very important for the US to step in and "help out".

Tyler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top