Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:02:44 AM EDT
To take a test for Warrant Officer Helo Pilot program. I responded to an email from a recruiter a while back and last week I called to get more info. So he asks what I do, I tel him I'm USN Aircrew. He says that takes care of the flight physical stuff and asks my ASVAB score, I tell him 97. He seems even more enthused. Then asks if I have any helo knowledge. I tell him basic airma USN stuff, nothing beyond the very basics. So we go on some more. Basically me giving him info about myself and all that.

So he says that I look like a good prospect and I can take this test next week. Then if I do well I have to wait until my mobilization orders are over(AUG06, if extendedAUG07), be released from USN Reserve.

So anyone familiar with any of this... I know nothing about the Army and I do know that it takes years to become a Warrant in USN and you have to be a lIne Officer to fly, shich I am too old for.. I would hate to leave my beloved Navy but Helos are pretty damned cool and the idea of beiong a Warrant is attractive too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:09:07 AM EDT
Cool the navy and airforce are cutting back but the army wants more. WO would be great!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:11:13 AM EDT
Well, if you want to fly, this sounds like a good opportunity for you. However, if you go army, you'll have to start calling them choppers instead of helos.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:14:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Well, if you want to fly, this sounds like a good opportunity for you. However, if you go army, you'll have to start calling them choppers instead of helos.

That will take getting used to,lol! We squids have our own language!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:15:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:29:42 AM EDT
You will have to attend and graduate from Warrant Officer Candidate School at Ft. Rucker Alabama. Pray you get a winter slot. WOCS is a very fast paced school that will test your ability to adapt to new situations, work under extreme stress, and test your integrity and attetion to detail. Once you graduate you will be comissioned a WO1 (yes, W1's are comissioned officers now) and start flight school, about 1 year long.

WOCS from start to finish includng your snowbird phase will be about 8 weeks.

If you decide to go and get accepted, let me know and I can give you some specifics on the course. The course itself is changing, but the keys to completing it will not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:41:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
You will have to attend and graduate from Warrant Officer Candidate School at Ft. Rucker Alabama. Pray you get a winter slot. WOCS is a very fast paced school that will test your ability to adapt to new situations, work under extreme stress, and test your integrity and attetion to detail. Once you graduate you will be comissioned a WO1 (yes, W1's are comissioned officers now) and start flight school, about 1 year long.

If you decide to go and get accepted, let me know and I can give you some specifics on the course. The course itself is changing, but the keys to completing it will not.

Do Army WO's get the same "respect" as Navy/Marine WO's? Hell, our pilots told me they don't fuck with WO's, They say they just give them a wide berth. But our WO's are usually crochety old Salts with 20+ years and come from the Cheifs mess and know all things Navy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 9:48:59 AM EDT by Aviator]
It is called the FAST test.

Here is a study guide if you want one.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/076454103X/qid=1135622703/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-7341348-6853419?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Army WOs are very close to the enlisted guys. It would not be a bad job. Youget the perks of enlisted, but when you are together with your enlisted crew members, you are a crew. Sounds odd, but a lot of times I am on a first name basis with my WOs. Does not mean I do not give them the respect they should get, but we work a lot closer together as an aircrew.

As a WO1, most guys will call you "spot" due to the single square on your bar.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:48:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Valkyrie:

Do Army WO's get the same "respect" as Navy/Marine WO's? Hell, our pilots told me they don't fuck with WO's, They say they just give them a wide berth. But our WO's are usually crochety old Salts with 20+ years and come from the Cheifs mess and know all things Navy.

Yes they usually do in the Army.....mainly because they used to be Enlisted soldiers. And because of their reputation for being excellent pilots. (started back in Vietnam)

Read a book about a Ranger who became a Civi Advisor in 'Nam, kinda like John Paul Vann....
Said you could tell the pilots in Nam by how high they flew.
A major with wife and older kids wouldnt fly below 2000feet on a recon mission.
A captain with a wife and younger kids wouldnt fly below 1500ft.
A cpt. with just wife wouldnt go below 1000ft.
A Lt. with wife wouldnt go below 500ft.
A young, warrant officer with no S/O would be flying 'Map of the World' 10 feet off the ground.

God bless those young pilots and every soldier they saved.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:51:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 9:51:49 AM EDT by Aviator]

Originally Posted By tyman:
A young, warrant officer with no S/O would be flying 'Map of the World' Nap of the Earth 10 feet off the ground.

Fixed it for ya

The saying goes the three most dangerous things int he Army are:

A SGM who says he does not know, a 2nd LT that says "From my past experiance", and a WO1 that says "Watch this!"

Aviator

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:59:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 10:04:31 AM EDT by Garand_Shooter]

Originally Posted By Valkyrie:

There are two kinds of Warrants in the Army, Aviators and Techs. Being a tech I can't say for sure about how the other side is, but everyone leaves me alone to do my job. Beside my company and battalion commanders I pretty much ignore everyone else anyway, and they leave me alone...or learn to pretty fast.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:07:33 AM EDT
Indiana wants me...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:11:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aviator:

A young, warrant officer with no S/O would be flying 'Map of the World' Nap of the Earth 10 feet off the ground.

Fixed it for ya

A SGM who says he does not know, a 2nd LT that says "From my past experiance", and a WO1 that says "Watch this!"

Aviator

Thanks, sorry bout that....didnt even notice I hit the 'M' key.
Pays to spellcheck/reread your posts so you dont make an ass of yourself.

and

@ the ole saying
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:32:24 AM EDT
If I decide to pursue this to the end and leave the USN, how do they decide what helo you get to fly? Is it a billet type process like USN or do you pick?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:41:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aviator:

Fixed it for ya

Aviator

FWIW, "nap of the earth" is the flying equivalent of a 3-5 second rush, it is not a contiuous fast paced flight, it is a rush to cover type of flying usually exhibited by Kiowas and Apaches. A Contour flight would be flying at a set altitude (10 feet above the treeling if youre feeling squirrelly), and at a rapid pace, keeping with the terrain features.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:41:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 12:59:25 PM EDT by tReznr]
Dunno how it works with you being in the reserve and all, but active duty types can fill out form DD 368 (conditonal letter of release) to request that their parent service let them out before their contract ends.

Note that this does NOT always work; I'm an active duty jarhead but Headquarters Marine Corps declined my request since my MOS is critically undermanned (or at least they claim). Only thing I can do is finish out my contract and apply to the Army WO program as a civilian. Very frustrating since I already had several letters of recommendations, had taken the AFAST, and had my flight physical approved by Fort Rucker....

Anyway, you can find more info at: www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

Good luck with it. It's a great program and I hope to be able to take advantage of it one day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:57:54 PM EDT
Oh, and if you're serious about it start on your flight physical as soon as possible. It took me almost four months from the time my physical was completed until it was reviewed and finalized by the Army Aeromedical center at Fort Rucker (although I did require a waiver for my PRK eye surgery).

Knock that out and work on your letters of recommendation/assorted paperwork while you're waiting on Army beauracracy to finish with your flight physical.
Top Top