Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 2:52:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all one at the top.

Not that the politicians are the top, however.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Gore was not the lunatic he is now back then. Classic Southern Democrat.

I'll remind you that Reagan was once a Democrat, too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that mentioned on here before.  It doesn't bother me at all.  People change.  Also, being a democrat in the south in the 80's was different than it is now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
People change.  Texas has changed.  Back in the 1980s, Texas was solid Democrat, only having one Republican Governor before George Bush since Reconstruction.

Now Texas is solid Republican.  Hard to imagine it would be like that 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

People change.  Texas has changed.  Back in the 1980s, Texas was solid Democrat, only having one Republican Governor before George Bush since Reconstruction.

Now Texas is solid Republican.  Hard to imagine it would be like that 20 years ago.

Yep, I can remember my Mother harassing my Dad (who is from Waco) back in the 70's about all those "damn Texas Democrat relatives" of ours who all voted for Carter.

ETA: Now they are all Republican gun owners (with the exception of my youngest aunt, but she's a flake).

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
He's an opportunist.  That beats ideologically opposed to everything you believe in, especially since, at least in the current political climate, opportunistic means doing things that are good for "our side" so as to harness the energy on the right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
At that time some counties in TX didn't have republican primaries. Some will even argue Al Gore was pro 2nd amendment back then etc...

However, at no point was Al Gore limited government.

Perry is a big go along to get along type. If/when the day TX gets enough people coming in from outside and he needs to be a (D) again to run for office he will.

I was living in TX the whole time Perry was govenor and just moved,a nd still mantain a residence there.

Will I vote for him? I will if he's the one on the ballot since I have no say in who that will be, but he's always impressed me as someone who learned how to triangulate on a lot of issues from Bill Clinton. Poll it three different ways and see how it shakes out then come down firm on a side.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
There used to many "conservative democrats". Now the term is an oxymoron. Even the so called "blue-dogs", (moderates), are increasingly rare.

Now, democrat is more synonymous with "liberal" and "progressive". I think "Marxist" is an increasingly valid term.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's an opportunist.  That beats ideologically opposed to everything you believe in, especially since, at least in the current political climate, opportunistic means doing things that are good for "our side" so as to harness the energy on the right.

I find your points of view to be rather interesting, are you from TX? Or what do you base your observations on?

I am not disagreeing with you just curious.

It's merely my opinion based on observation of the man and listening to him talk.  He takes advantage of the current political climate and tunes his message to the audience.

Regardless of that opinion, he'd be a very good president for gun owners and he'd probably make good court picks.  If you look at his overall record and don't get bogged down in one or two issues, he's also done a good job as governor of Texas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#13]
And Arlen Specter was a Republican......so?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I find myself telling that to many people when they bring up the 'ol I wish Reagan was here. And i loved Ronnie!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
So what you're saying is he has national campaign experience and he has some insight, although possibly outdated insight, into how a democratic campaign works?  That and what KeithJ said.  A lot of Oklahomans are registered democrats but not a single county voted for Obama in 2008.  Times change.  People change.  Etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds to me like someone more willing to do things for themselves than a nation.  He's better off staying in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are in Texas, and one of the smartest people on arfcom (that is not saying a lot )

DO you think he is the real deal, or do you think he has been planning a run for the WH since the 80's?

I've followed him since he ran for Agriculture Commissioner.  Before then, his political experience was nothing.  

Now who else was running in 1988?  Oh yeah, that idiot Dukakis.  Back then, Al Gore Jr. was TOTALLY OPPOSITE politically speaking.  Ever hear of a spoiler?  Who was running against Dukakis in the general?  .

Sly?  Or slimy?  Bright?  Or bastard?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
My home town voted 91% Republican in the presidential election - at the same time all the local elections are still decided with the democratic primary.  It is tradition and cheaper than running two campaigns (primary and election).   Perhaps it will change eventually.  Local "democrats" are far more conservative than DC republicans.  That said, there are a few that refuse to soil their hands - most of them are extreme Republicans.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Al was one of it not the most conservative Dem. at the time.

When the DNC picked him to run with WJC he did a 180 on his beliefs.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would have never believed it either.

Every member of my family for at least 3 generations that I know of was Yellow Dog Democrats.

Now several are not.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#21]
This morning on fox they were talking about the race like it is now Romney/Perry/.......................................Bachman.  

Is he already a front runner after just anouncing?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Al Gore in 1988 was more conservative than most of the Republicans running today.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Al Gore in 1988 was more conservative than most of the Republicans running today.

Ding ding ding!   I remember hearing him (Gore) at a speech back in '90,  definately was not the fruit loop then that he is now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.  He was a moderate alternative to Dukakis in 1988.  IIRC, Gore had an "A" rating from the NRA and was pro-life back then.  He completely flip-flopped to run in 1992.

Steve

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Of all the legitimate reasons to dislike Perry, and there are many, this is not one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Second post nails it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Reagan was a democrat and the President of the screen actors guild. (Union pres.)

Perry was a dem and a cheerleader for A&M...

I have no problem with either one of these guys...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank God someone got around to posting this....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I have no idea why people compare Perry to Reagan. Reagan cahnged his party after he travelled the US meeting with business owners, executives, and people who worked in factories as part of his job. He could tell you exactly why he changed and did so at a time when it wasn't exactly politically adventageous for him to do so.

None of these things have anything to do with Perry. Sure he was a conservative democrat, yet he can't explain or at least hasn't why he's such a big conservative or why that's a good thing other than the political tide turned in TX and that was politically adventageous for him to do.

I wouldn't be so critical of the issue having lived in TX and knowing that you couldn't get elected as a republican as many counties didn't even have republican primaries, except it fits with a lot of the other stuff he does. Like others have mentioned - he triangulates except on one or two issues. If it's popular today that's where he comes down, if it's not popular tomorrow that's the side he is on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This morning on fox they were talking about the race like it is now Romney/Perry/.......................................Bachman.  

Is he already a front runner after just anouncing?

Has he actually announced yet?

I don't see how Romney is even considered a challenger.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Reagan was a Democrat.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/jan/16/debra-medina/debra-medina-claims-rick-perry-was-democrat-and-al/

I am surprised that with all the Rick Perry threads I have read here, I don't recall having seen this.

I was figuring he was better than romney, but this is over the top.

Ronald Regan was a fucking Dummycrap at one time too.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
There is another governor from the southwest who is running for president, but he doesn't get much media coverage.  I wonder why?

Perry was elected as a Republican in a state that is 70% republican.  Gary Johnson was elected in a state that was 70% democrat.  One of these candidate gets a lot of coverage (even before running).  The other gets ignored by our controlled media.  Why do you think that is?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My home town voted 91% Republican in the presidential election - at the same time all the local elections are still decided with the democratic primary.  It is tradition and cheaper than running two campaigns (primary and election).   Perhaps it will change eventually.  Local "democrats" are far more conservative than DC republicans.  That said, there are a few that refuse to soil their hands - most of them are extreme Republicans.

Still members of the same party that Obama is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top