Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:29:45 AM EDT
To buy me a new Apple iBook. My girlfriend and I vacationed in Orlando for the weekend (my weekend is Wednesday and Thursday) and her grandfather has an iBook that I fell in love with. I found a guy on eBay salling sealed ones for a good price, now I just have to convince her to buy it for me

Any ideas besides drawing down?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:35:15 AM EDT
Get a job and buy it yourself?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:36:58 AM EDT
I have the job, I pay the important stuff, she gets to play with the entertainment money, I don't.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:39:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By w4klr:
To buy me a new Apple iBook. My girlfriend and I vacationed in Orlando for the weekend (my weekend is Wednesday and Thursday) and her grandfather has an iBook that I fell in love with. I found a guy on eBay salling sealed ones for a good price, now I just have to convince her to buy it for me

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 8:41:16 AM EDT by SmilingBandit]
I should have added a smiley into the origional reply.

Just explain to her all the great games you can play on Mac OS.

ETA: I have bought two Macs for my wife and still give her crap about them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:40:42 AM EDT
screw it. buy ammo instead.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:41:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 8:42:23 AM EDT by w4klr]
The Apple fits my uses for graphic design, small movie editing and has better quality over JoeBlow PC company. That's why I like it, show me your laptop with a 6 hour battery life, and shock resistant chassis made of magnesium..

I'm just tired of not being mobile.

ETA: Hey, it has Halo, the only game I play if I play a game.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:49:42 AM EDT
maybe a full power shot would convince her?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:52:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 8:52:58 AM EDT by BlackDog714]
Am I the only one here PROFESSIONAL enough to use an iBook???
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:06:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 9:11:03 AM EDT by Robbie]

Just drive to Nigeria and pick up the iBook yourself.

The "good price" for a popular (and price controlled) "new in box" item such as the iBook is a red flag. If you or she decides to buy it, proceed with caution and never pay using Western Union. There's more red flags too.

Or you could just show her all the Apple "Switch" commercials...that'll convince her.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:07:57 AM EDT
Not letting you get an Ibook, they are doing you a favor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:17:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

+1

Now if it was an IBM or a Dell I would be writting letters requesting for funding.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:20:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 9:20:34 AM EDT by StykUrHedUp]

Originally Posted By ThatGuy00:

you know Squatdog has the phrase "full power shot" registered copyrighted and trademarked right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:48:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StykUrHedUp:

has

yea, but somebody had to say it
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:57:34 AM EDT
Apple computers are good, but they are way over priced. You can get a Wintel-type computer for less. There is also much more software availability than the Apples. If you're spending someone else's money go for it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:18:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StykUrHedUp:

you know Squatdog has the phrase "full power shot" registered copyrighted and trademarked right?

yea, but somebody had to say it

LOL...very nice... [golfclap]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:21:00 AM EDT

The Apple fits my uses for graphic design, small movie editing and has better quality over JoeBlow PC company. That's why I like it, show me your laptop with a 6 hour battery life, and shock resistant chassis made of magnesium..

{cought}Bullshit{cough} I have had to send back a $2k monitor twice now and worked with some one who had to send in a 17 ibook over 3 times because of the HD and screen.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:23:36 AM EDT

I have the job, I pay the important stuff, she gets to play with the entertainment money, I don't.

You let a GF play with your finances... interesting

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:27:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Redcap:

Don't laugh - for those who are more than just average computer users, the iBook and OS X kicks the fucking shit out of Windows *.*
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
The company I work for has the contract to do warranty repairs on iBooks. Those things break down like you would not believe. They run very hot, and suffer for it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:39:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CeramicGod:

Don't laugh - for those who are more than just average computer users, the iBook and OS X kicks the fucking shit out of Windows *.*

That's odd, Pro/E runs fine on Windows, same for my Reliability Calculation software... didn't see Mac listed in supported platforms
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:42:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:

That's odd, Pro/E runs fine on Windows, same for my Reliability Calculation software... didn't see Mac listed in supported platforms

I could care less about Pro/E - if you need that then I guess you better stick to the Windows box. That makes no statement at all about the quality of the operating system. Windows has more apps because Windows is the lowest common denominator.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:45:37 AM EDT
good price,wonder if it fell of the goverment delivery truck?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:47:49 AM EDT
For some reason, when I see "So I'm trying to convince my girlfriend", my mind automatically appends "...to do anal" at the end of it. Sadly, this thread did not live up to my expectations.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:53:30 AM EDT

When Pro/E first came out on Windows it was a fucking abortion. I haven't seen it in several years though, I sure as hell hope it has improved. The original OS was Unix.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:58:59 AM EDT
Hardware-wise, Apple's come out with a number of innovations (even if they didn't innovate it, they got it to market early). But within 6 months everybody's got it anyway. Though not every new hardware gadget stayed with the Mac. Appletalk, SCSI drives as the default configuration, etc. Apple went mainstream on them. Graphics-wise, the default config left Apple's in a superior position...when George H. Bush was president. These days, Apple taps into ATI and nVidia's expertise for it and due to market share, an Apple user can hope to match the graphics capability of a PC user even when the PC user spends less. But usually, the powerful graphics give the nod to the PC. Hardware is a tough business.

Apple's shine is easily in it's software. OS X is very good...afterall, it's BSD-based. Apple has also done an excellent job on several other software titles.

And that's all before the Apple-Intel announcement. The game is about to change. Beta Intel-OS X OS's are reported to be running in the wild without Apple's proprietary controls. Things are going to get somewhat interesting in the Apple-Microsoft relationship.

I'm Robbie and I have an OS 10.4 machine that I use for testing purposes a few feet away from me as I type this...right next to the Suse box...and the Fedora Core box..and the Win2003 box...and the box under my desk that isn't connected that I forgot what OS I put on it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:01:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:

{cought}Bullshit{cough} I have had to send back a $2k monitor twice now and worked with some one who had to send in a 17 ibook over 3 times because of the HD and screen.

Poor you, I guess every company has a few that slips by QC, my 20" monitor and the G5 tower are still going strong being on 24/7 (minus hurrican outages).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:04:11 AM EDT

I could care less about Pro/E - if you need that then I guess you better stick to the Windows box. That makes no statement at all about the quality of the operating system. Windows has more apps because Windows is the lowest common denominator.

Refers to your remark about "average computer users" - many of the applications I have were migrated from Unix systems to Wintel, others have dropped Mac (for a variety of reasons), and are as numerically intensive as anything out there. Wintel is supported because it is capable of running the software. But if you want to put a wing and a "turbo" decal on your Mac and proclaim it as being badass, then go right ahead.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:06:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Thread win.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:08:51 AM EDT
I don't understand why there are such harsh things to be said against Mac. Use the right tool for the right job.

People think that since there are more Windows applications available, it's the best. I say no, because the programs that are marketed for Mac are generally superior in design, code and functionality, making that one peice of software you buy, invaluable in a library of software.

What people don't preach from the Windows side (when preaching about the masses of software) is the massive lacking of spyware and malicious code on Macs. I don't need to have a NAV subscription which is $50 a year because I've never encountered spyware or viruses to be transmitted through my mac. I don't care if the e-mail I forward from a pc user has a virus, because it won't affect me.

Not to mention, the value holds moderately well compared to a pc.

Oh wait, I didn't ask people what kind of computer to buy
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:20:03 AM EDT

Maybe it is the "average computer users" who use iBooks and OS X because they lack the skills necessary to be "Above average computer users"?

Macs are the "Smart Computers" aren't they? That would be like the "Smart Guns" that are safer to use!

Buy the iBook...for the children!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:22:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:23:48 AM EDT

I don't understand why there are such harsh things to be said against Mac. Use the right tool for the right job.

People think that since there are more Windows applications available, it's the best. I say no, because the programs that are marketed for Mac are generally superior in design, code and functionality, making that one peice of software you buy, invaluable in a library of software.

What people don't preach from the Windows side (when preaching about the masses of software) is the massive lacking of spyware and malicious code on Macs. I don't need to have a NAV subscription which is $50 a year because I've never encountered spyware or viruses to be transmitted through my mac. I don't care if the e-mail I forward from a pc user has a virus, because it won't affect me.

Not to mention, the value holds moderately well compared to a pc.

Oh wait, I didn't ask people what kind of computer to buy

Quite a few Mac titles are very well done. KeyNote is excellent, as is GarageBand. Many of the high-end titles have the same interface on the Mac and Windows which makes it a draw. Availability of software is not a "feature" of Windows, it's a byproduct of the current marketshare and Microsoft's place in the marketplace. I remember the tables were reversed 25 years ago, there were only about 2,000 software titles for the Atari 800 while the Apple ][ enjoyed 10,000 titles.

Security-wise, "security-by-anonymity" is not secure. And it isn't due to superior code (Linux or Mac). It's another byproduct of marketshare. But it does mean less hassle for end users.

Value-wise, Macs do very well. That's why I did a double-take on a sealed-in-box-iBook-at-a-good-price...that situation yells Nigerian-eBay-Scam.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT

3% of the market share... Linux has more users than Mac. Linux has more viruses than Mac. No one writes malware for a Mac because (relatively) no one uses Macs.

Mac will have a rise in popularity when they go wintel hardware. But the compitition wont be the same. Apples to Apples (pun intended) so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:54:26 AM EDT
Get your self an Anus laptop. I hear they're the best.

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=377844
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:04:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hd_pancho:
Get your self an Anus laptop. I hear they're the best.

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=377844

LOL! I read the entire Cole, Cole 2.0 and Cole 3.1 threads...a ton of reading, but very funny stuff! They even made a fake website...anuslaptops.com!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:27:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

When Pro/E first came out on Windows it was a fucking abortion. I haven't seen it in several years though, I sure as hell hope it has improved. The original OS was Unix.

Pro/E sucks balls still from what I understand. My roomate has to use it from time to time and he says he wants to fucking kill himself whenever he has to. He was ripping his hair out the other day trying to figure out how to rotate something about an axis, He said he had done it in other packages, but pro/e was retarded.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:50:49 PM EDT

I second that. The first Mac I ever used was a old Mac SE from like, the mid 1980's, I was a toddler. I've had Macs all my life, every time they fucked up, it was something I could and did fix myself, Windows on the other hand...you need tech support for every little thing everytime some little piece of shit thing goes wrong, and you can't fix it yourself very easily unless you're a techie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:56:20 PM EDT

You let a GF play with your finances... interesting

Gave up your balls with that discretionary fundage also, didnt ya?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:56:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
For some reason, when I see "So I'm trying to convince my girlfriend", my mind automatically appends "...to do anal" at the end of it. Sadly, this thread did not live up to my expectations.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

Damn, we are perverts...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 12:59:46 PM EDT by Gator]

Yeah, can't do graphic design on a wintel box. Compare a high priced laptop to a cheap budget laptop.

For the Apple cash you can get much better intel hardware with a nice graphics chip. But if Apple gets your rocks off, stick to 'em. Just don't brag how much better they are. Tried 'em.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:54 PM EDT
She doesn't drive a Jeep does she?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:05:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 1:07:00 PM EDT by 556_Chowder]

Originally Posted By Bob1984:

I second that. The first Mac I ever used was a old Mac SE from like, the mid 1980's, I was a toddler. I've had Macs all my life, every time they fucked up, it was something I could and did fix myself, Windows on the other hand...you need tech support for every little thing everytime some little piece of shit thing goes wrong, and you can't fix it yourself very easily unless you're a techie.

Not a whole lot of sense here
Top Top