Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:49:09 AM EDT
I got a kindle touch for Christmas and found the pre-publisher edit version of Stranger in a Strange land with an extra 40k+ words.
Lot's more Heinlein political stuff in it than I recall in the "normal" version...

...one of my favorite authors for sure
Too bad I know how it ends

Anyway, it's worth checking out this "uncut" copy if you read the original edited version as a teenager

Speed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:49 AM EDT
I just about grabbed The Moon is a Strange Mistress yesterday but went with Huxley's Brave New World instead. The others will follow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:51:40 AM EDT
One of my least favorite Heinlein novels.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:24 AM EDT
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a classic; I've actually never finished reading it as I sold my First edition copy on ebay while I was reading it

Speed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:58:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
One of my least favorite Heinlein novels.

+1

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:59:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a classic; I've actually never finished reading it as I sold my First edition copy on ebay while I was reading it

Speed

Greatest libertarian novel ever written. Makes Atlas Shrugged look like drivel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:09 AM EDT
One of my MOST favorite. I always think differently after I read it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:12 AM EDT
Good bass line.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 7:03:07 AM EDT by ultramagbrion]
I liked "Moon" , alot . But I tried twice now to read "Stranger" and couldnt get into it .

You folks that have read a lot of Heinlen , is there another of his books that is on the same level as "Moon" , quality - wise ??
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:05:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ultramagbrion:
I liked "Moon" , alot . But I tried twice now to read "Stranger" and couldnt get into it .

You folks that have read a lot of Heinlen , is there another of his books that is on the same level as "Moon" , quality - wise ??

IMO, no.

Moon was a one of a kind type of thing of his. A lot of the major points are hit on in other works but nothing completely devoted to it.

Oh, an a big +1 to the above. Took me three tries over 5-10 years to get through it. And I devour Heinlein. Every book aside from 5 or so of his teeny bopper ones (which I like).
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:15:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nimrod1193:
Originally Posted By speedracer422:

Speed

Greatest libertarian novel ever written. Makes Atlas Shrugged look like drivel.

Yep. Great book.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:19:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 9:04:48 AM EDT by TinLeg]
eh?

I liked Stranger in a Strange Land. Thought it was easy reading. The first time I read it I was 15 and spending time in the hospital getting chemotherapy. maybe the drugs made it easier to grok.

To Sail Beyond the Sunset was the one I found a little difficult to make it through.

I Will Fear No Evil was just plain... odd. Though definitely a novel exploration of homosexuality.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:21:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
A lot of people don't grok it.

They're not our water brothers.

Speed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:22:36 AM EDT
I'll have to check it out. I really liked Stranger.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:30:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
A lot of people don't grok it.

Spoken like someone whose thetans are staggering under a load of engrams.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:31:54 AM EDT
No thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:49:30 AM EDT
They don't grok it because they haven't spent the appropriate time to grok the subject.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:51:17 AM EDT
I hit the local half price book store fairly regularly and clean out whatever Heinlein I can lay hands on. "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was a good one, as was "The Number of The Beast". "Job, A Comedy of Justice" was awesome as well. "Friday" was another good one.

My grandma gave me a Kindle that she never used-I love it, except I can read a 400 page book on it in half a day, it seems, so it gets a bit expensive...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:01:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
I hit the local half price book store fairly regularly and clean out whatever Heinlein I can lay hands on. "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was a good one, as was "The Number of The Beast". "Job, A Comedy of Justice" was awesome as well. "Friday" was another good one.

My grandma gave me a Kindle that she never used-I love it, except I can read a 400 page book on it in half a day, it seems, so it gets a bit expensive...

Do what I do, for every novel I read, I force myself to either read a non-fiction book or a "classic" which are availible for free in the public domain. I just finished a trashy HALO novel so Im debating between re-reading Moby Dick or finally reading The 5000 year leap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:09:40 AM EDT

as was "The Number of The Beast".

Probably his worst novel.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:21:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

as was "The Number of The Beast".

Probably his worst novel.

I wouldn't disagree with that. And another thing about Heinlein: for novels about the future, people sure do seem to play a lot of bridge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:23:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ShootToKill:
I just about grabbed The Moon is a Harsh Mistress yesterday but went with Huxley's Brave New World instead. The others will follow.

I left a copy my dad got in the 60s on an AA flight.
Top Top