Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 10:10:30 AM EDT
Im here at LAX waiting for my flight when it hit me, I have no clue where to eat! Anyone have suggestion on good/local eateries in the area? I was also wondering if there are any must see spots to dive in the area.  Ill be staying in Po'ipu
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You sir, are a lucky man indeed.

I can't help with the grub but you are going to a gorgeous place.

Take the long helo tour.

See the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

And you should be able to go out and see the whales.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Hanamaulu Cafe-shrimp n chicken
Hamura's-saimin n BBQ sticks( beef n chicken)
Start there n then ask other diners...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to breakfast at Ono in Kapaa.  Kintaro is a great Japanese restaurant.  If you want a great, cheap lunch, check out Hamura Saimin in Lihue - it is a complete dive but the soup is freaking incredible.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Best pizza in Kauai:

Hanalei Pizza
Yelp reviews....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
When you land grab all the free magazines at the airport and at the hotel.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Huki-Lau at the Coconut Marketplace is pretty darn good.

ETA: See you are staying in Poipu. Brenneke's serves an OK meal, but the Mai Tais, and Tai Chi are pretty good.

Beach house is fairly good but overpriced. If you go there, and there is a thin blond with a sour face tending bar, tell her you want a mustard Mohito. She'll laugh, and it is a damn good Mohito (Fruit juice the pour on top looks like mustard).

Snorkel at the beach right by the Beach House Restaurant
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Beach House is OK for dinner, has a nice view of the sunset (view is better than the food)

Roy's is OK too, my in-laws love it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Ke'e beach on the north shore was our favorite snorkeling spot.  You really can't go wrong anywhere you on the island.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I miss a good loco moco.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Lots of wild chickens pretty intresting to watch them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Spam sammich?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Ask the locals where they go out to eat if they want a good meal.  It's worked for us a few times.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Crap, and I thought they were anti-gun

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ask the locals where they go out to eat if they want a good meal.  It's worked for us a few times.
View Quote

That's what we did.

Go find the Tip Top Café in Lihue for breakfast.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]

I stay at condo's when I go there yearly. If you have a kitchen, I suggest stopping at the Costco in Lihue - cheap alcohol, of course.  

As far as diving and snorkeling, IMO, skip it all and just hang out at Tunnels Beach. Best diving and/or snorkeling in Hawaii.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Already on it
Thanks for all the suggestion! I heard Poke with onion sauce is pretty good, and spam mushubi (sp?) at gas station for a quick breakfast?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little more than 87% are
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Im here at LAX waiting for my flight when it hit me, I have no clue where to eat! Anyone have suggestion on good/local eateries in the area? I was also wondering if there are any must see spots to dive in the area.  Ill be staying in Po'ipu
View Quote

Brenekies in Poi'pu

If you make it up north check out the sushi place in hanalei bay
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I liked Bubba's Burgers and The Shrimp Station for quick bites.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]

http://www.brenneckes.com/ Had awesome fish and chips...great beer too

We also had some amazing fish taco's, but I can't remember where it was at..it was in the dirty little section of town. We also ate out of a food trailer a couple of times, great local fresh food there too.

Waimea Canyon state park is well worth the drive, and the fresh fruit the guys on the side of the road sell is amazing.

Queens bath is also well worth the treck through the boonies to get to it. However do not buy the fruit the local kid there is selling...it's horrible.

We thought the beach house was horrible, nice view...but we felt completely ripped off on the food.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#21]
You are headed into a target rich eviroment, tons of hippies and liberals in HI!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Best restaurant in the world: Beach House
Best hamburger in the world: ONO Burger (road to Princeville)
Best Sushi: Tidepools in Hyatt

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Gaylord's is a great meal; but not cheap.

There is a combination organic farm/restaurant by Kiluaea that is good and decent priced but a little hard to find and a ways from Poipu.  There is some tiny bar right across from Nawhilili harbor - Boars's something, it has great pub food at a fair price.

I actually hate Bubba's Burgers.  There is a newish Mediterranean restaurant in Hanalei that has great food but the portions are tiny and the prices will make Gaylords look like fast food.  The pizza restaurant across the street (in the market) is fucking awesome but Poipu to Hanalei is a long way for pizza.

Don't know how Beach House is as a restaurant; but that tiny little beach by it is awesome snorkeling/spear fishing. Especially now when the big waves are coming from the North side.  Ke'e beach is good snorkeling but really rough this time of year.  Anini has the reef to protect it but you'll be 6' away from something and not see it and there is a lot of area to cover so it can be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#24]
So........then you don't need advice on where to eat @ LAX ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I really liked Mermaid's cafe. Not high class, but the ahi nori wrap was really good. I stopped by there 3 or 4 times on my last trip to the garden island.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
In-n-Out, it's just north of LAX on Sepulveda...  

Eric  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Breakfast at the Kalaheo Cafe.  We were there for about two weeks in 2011. A local told us about it the third day. We ate breakfast there everyday for the rest of the trip.

We took a Captain Andy's dinner cruise. Excellent views and food.

Lots of movies were filmed here too. One of those tours may work for you.

Stop in Hanapepe and buy a hand made shirt from Jacqueline on Kauai. You won't regret it.

Find your way to Barking Sand Beach.

Enjoy...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I now hate you.  7* is the forecast for tonight.  

Have fun!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top