Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/17/2009 12:29:51 AM EST
Homer was running for mayor, but he was wearing a salamander suit. He told Marge "people may not love Homer Simpson, but they love the suit, kind of like how Americans love their stupid American flag".

Of all places to hear some anti-American bullshit, I hear it on AFN cable in South Korea. I never really liked the Simpsons anyway, but this sealed the deal.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:32:16 AM EST
You do notice how they had the dumbest character say it. Usually that's how writers convey a thought that isn't meant to be agreed with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:32:27 AM EST
Yeah I used to like it when I was a kid, but when I grew up my perspective changed. Now I can't stand that lib bullshit toon. I like Family Guy better, and that is not saying much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:33:58 AM EST
It really slipped in the last few years. I stopped watching regularly after some dig at the military really got under my skin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:08:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:08:51 AM EST by luvmyglock]
Yeah an episode pissed me off not too long ago when they were poking fun at the republican party around election time. That American flag comment just made my mind up about that show..

ETA: Waste of my post 556......................
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:13:59 AM EST
God forbid a big fat yellow cartoon guy offends your delicate sensibilities.

Lighten up ya Nancy boys.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:16:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By luvmyglock:
Yeah an episode pissed me off not too long ago when they were poking fun at the republican party around election time. That American flag comment just made my mind up about that show..

ETA: Waste of my post 556......................

Hey, putting a 5.56 in that particular lame horse is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:18:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By rike:

Kinda like Falwell or whoever going on and on about Tinky Winky the Teletubby being gay.

He's not real man!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:30:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By PhatForrest:
It really slipped in the last few years. I stopped watching regularly after some dig at the military really got under my skin.

It wasn't the "Johnny GI with insufficient body armor" action figure line, was it?
+1 on your point - The Simpsons haven't been fresh in at least 5 yrs. It's like some middle-aged bar-fly who still dresses like an 18yr old hootchie; kind of unpleasant to look at now, but was fun to watch 10-15 years ago...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:33:48 AM EST
Matt Groening is a liberal's liberal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:37:46 AM EST
I stopped watching (new episodes) around '99, and all together a few years later.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:40:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By usptac:
I stopped watching (new episodes) around '99, and all together a few years later.

Yep. "The Simpsons" should have ended when the 90s ended. The episodes from the past 10 years have mostly been crap.

I still love the episodes from '89 to '97 or so; those are classics.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:40:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By Q3131A:

Pretty much all the adult cartoon people are, from simpsons, family guy, American dad, futurama, etc. They're usually pretty anti-Military, America, and Christian.
But they're cartoons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:41:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 7:41:58 AM EST by Eagle7222]
What ever.........

Homer tripping on Peppers at the Chilli eating contest was funny as hell as is

"10 days But I am mad NOW" when he wanted to buy a gun.....

I think they make fun of everything

ETA: I dont watch the new stuff either. Just old episodes when the kids are not around
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:41:54 AM EST
I think the good writer left along time ago, though he is a flaming lib too, he was behind the classics that really made the Simpsons, now the show is used just to get cheap shots in on anything not in line with their thinking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:43:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By -GunNutJuell-:

Pretty much all the adult cartoon people are, from simpsons, family guy, American dad, futurama, etc. They're usually pretty anti-Military, America, and Christian.
But they're cartoons.

They are all the same people, literally.

Simpsons/futurama: Groening

Family Guy/American Dad: Seth McFarland
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:44:26 AM EST

Maybe, but there is evidence that he might be pro-gun. Watch the episodes titled "The Cartridge Family" (1997), which ends with Marge triumphantly carrying a revolver in her purse, and "Treehouse of Horror XIII" (2002), where Springfield bans guns, only to be over-run by gun-toting zombies.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:45:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By patkrysbold:
Yeah I used to like it when I was a kid, but when I grew up my perspective changed. Now I can't stand that lib bullshit toon. I like Family Guy better, and that is not saying much.

You thought Simpsons was too liberal s you watched family guy instead? That show is just a mouth piece for the creator to mock conservatives and show how obviously superior liberalism is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:46:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By GI-45:

Maybe, but there is evidence that he might be pro-gun. Watch the episodes titled "The Cartridge Family" (1997), which ends with Marge triumphantly carrying a revolver in her purse, and "Treehouse of Horror XIII" (2002), where Springfield bans guns, only to be over-run by gun-toting zombies.

So what was your take on the 2 part, "Who shot Mr. Burns" episodes?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:50:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By BUDUKO:

I didn't find it to be anti-gun, really. There wasn't any talk of banning guns or "guns are the root of all evil" messages that I can recall.

Heck, now that you mention it, there's a later episode where Maggie covertly shoots and wounds several members of Fat Tony's gang from her bedroom window. What's her screen name?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:52:53 AM EST
lighten up. homer calls everything stupid. stupid flanders and his stupid morals...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:53:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By BUDUKO:

Don't carry with an unsecured holster
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:54:06 AM EST
There's also the episode where Homer becomes Pieman, and becomes such a threat to Springfield that there's a "pie buyback" with guns as the reward.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:00:03 AM EST

I think "The Cartridge Family" was a well-balanced episode. On one hand you have the "I'm angry NOW," comment that seems to support waiting periods, along with the general idea that gun ownership stokes some deep-seated lust for power, but you also have private citizens using guns to stop crime before the police arrive, and NRA members' outrage against Homer for using his gun unsafely.

I'll watch the Simpsons regardless of Matt Groening's politics as long as he keeps the preaching out of his cartoon, and I thought "The Cartridge Family" did a good job of making fun of everybody.

...although they didn't seem to realize that they had Moe presenting an illegal "machine gun" at the NRA meeting
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:02:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By rike:

Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park all make fun of everybody. Arfcommers have a tendency to get sandy vaginas when it's the conservatives' turn.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:05:11 AM EST
Damn, she's a good shot.

First Mr. Burns and then the goons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:06:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 8:09:42 AM EST by Bigger_Hammer]
Originally Posted By Eagle7222:
What ever.........

Homer tripping on Peppers at the Chilli eating contest was funny as hell as is

"10 days But I am mad NOW" when he wanted to buy a gun.....

I think they make fun of everything

ETA: I dont watch the new stuff either. Just old episodes when the kids are not around

Those "Guatemalan Insanity Peppers" are a running joke around us.

B.T.W. - I AM DuffMan

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By PennsylvaniaExpat:

I think "The Cartridge Family" was a well-balanced episode. On one hand you have the "I'm angry NOW," comment that seems to support waiting periods, along with the general idea that gun ownership stokes some deep-seated lust for power, but you also have private citizens using guns to stop crime before the police arrive, and NRA members' outrage against Homer for using his gun unsafely.

I'll watch the Simpsons regardless of Matt Groening's politics as long as he keeps the preaching out of his cartoon, and I thought "The Cartridge Family" did a good job of making fun of everybody.

...although they didn't seem to realize that they had Moe presenting an illegal "machine gun" at the NRA meeting

Theres nothing like changing the channel with a revolver.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 8:09:05 AM EST by GI-45]

Yes, I had the exact same take as you. It's rather surprising that the NRA would get such even-handed treatment back in 1997 during the height of Clinton-era anti-gun sentiment.

Krusty's line in that episode is the best: "Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"

I think Arfcom would concur on all 3 points.

ETA: it's also interesting to note that at least half of Springfield is in that NRA meeting.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Wombat_SCSO:
You do notice how they had the dumbest character say it. Usually that's how writers convey a thought that isn't meant to be agreed with.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:10:01 AM EST
ANY liberal BS is too much on AFN.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:13:39 AM EST

Yes, I had the exact same take as you. It's rather surprising that the NRA would get such even-handed treatment back in 1997 during the height of Clinton-era anti-gun sentiment.

Krusty's line in that episode is the best: "Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"

I think Arfcom would concur on all 3 points.

ETA: it's also interesting to note that at least half of Springfield is in that NRA meeting.

Well Spoken Krusty!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:14:55 AM EST
Ossan
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:23:23 AM EST

Matt Groening is anti-gun. He always has been. I was first introducted to his cartoons by a liberal friend (pre-Simpsons). It was a book of cartoons from "Life in Hell". Very anti-gun. Which is why I know about them. My liberal friend used to copy them and leave them on my desk to goad me.

Simpsons episodes early on (when I watched) were anti-gun. In one episode Bart joined the NRA. If later Simpsons episodes seemed pro gun, it's because someone else wrote them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:31:58 AM EST

Matt Groening is anti-gun. He always has been. I was first introducted to his cartoons by a liberal friend (pre-Simpsons). It was a book of cartoons from "Life in Hell". Very anti-gun. Which is why I know about them. My liberal friend used to copy them and leave them on my desk to goad me.

Simpsons episodes early on (when I watched) were anti-gun. In one episode Bart joined the NRA. If later Simpsons episodes seemed pro gun, it's because someone else wrote them.

That could very well be true. He's always listed as "Executive Producer," and never as a writer, I believe. Still, it is rather surprising that he'd allow pro-gun messages into a show that he created.

By the way, here's the exchange where Bart joins the NRA. His rich Uncle Herb signs him up as a thank-you gift:

Herb: Now Bart, I know you're too young for that machine gun you wanted, but I'm gonna give you something that'll make sure when you're old enough you can still buy one: a Membership in the National Rifle Association.

Bart: Wow, the NRA... Can I get armor-piercing cyanide-tipped bullets too?

Herb: It's in the constitution, son!

Again, the last line is straight out of the Arfcom mindset.

Top Top