Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:06:04 PM EDT
And now I suddenly feel very small and insignificant. Its mind boggling whats out there. This planet earth we inhabit is not even a grain of sand in the scheme of things. Galaxies 500,000 light years across? A galaxy with 800 billion suns? If I think of the origins of this too much I get light headed. The universe is an amazing sight to behold.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And now I suddenly feel very small and insignificant. Its mind boggling whats out there. This planet earth we inhabit is not even a grain of sand in the scheme of things. Galaxies 500,000 light years across? A galaxy with 800 billion suns? If I think of the origins of this too much I get light headed. The universe is an amazing sight to behold.

Mind blowing isn't it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And yet people still don't believe in God!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It really makes you wonder what other life is out there.  There HAS to be other life out there as huge as the universe is.

Wonder what it would be like to make it with a being from another planet?  I hope that anal probes are only used by dudes on chicks..........
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why would Hubble pics stop you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
See if you can get your mind around the $850 billion stimulus package........That just pisses me off.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would Hubble pics prove one way or another?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Hubble Ultra Deep Field
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]

And to think; it all exists in your mind, without which, it is nothingness.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't, kinda my point.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know. Nothing comes from nothing and there is a lot of stuff out there. Did a being create it? I dont know. Who created the being? Its like a looking at a mirror in back of you through one thats in front of you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]

10,000 galaxies in that picture. Amazing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh boy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
It would be fucing cool if we could see that stuff at night.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the most relaxing things I can do is take my own telescope out and gaze up at the heavens or watch an astronomy documentary.  Either makes me feel insignificant and all my troubles fade away.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
This place is pretty cool too.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]
So if the Earth...no, the whole solar system blinked out, would this matter to the Universe?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It would be fucing cool if we could see that stuff at night.

You live in MS.  There's probably plenty of remote places far from city lights where you can watch the sky.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So if the Earth...no, the whole solar system blinked out, would this matter to the Universe?

Entire galaxies blink out and the universe goes on. So no, it would not matter in the keast.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
It amazes me just how few people understand the scale of even this solar system, let alone our own galaxy and without even mentioning the universe. Explaining it is very difficult without visual aids.

Our Galaxy:
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never felt "Small/Insignificant" when looking at images like those those.

Are they ( Celestial bodies) physically BIGGER than I am...?....SURE but, so are mountains and THEY ain't got shit on me as far as existance goes.

I've been lucky enough to experience consciousness (Something even the LARGEST star visible to us here on earth hasn't) and THAT wonder (To ME at least) trumps just being a big lump of matter.

Sure, rocks that've been here before my time will continue to be here after I'm gone but.......I experienced the wonder of self-realization while the "Infinity" rock was....just a rock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you people have to do this? Go bicker in the Religion forum.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#23]

in my opinion probably the most beautiful picture man has ever taken.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Now its my wall paper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now its my wall paper.

there are larger images of it out there, (3100 x 3100)

just do a image search for Hubble Deep Field
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What are you on? pass me some
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Has the opposite effect on me.

Proves how silly the superstition based religions that dominate this planet are.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Whenever I think about how small we are in the grand scheme of things, I think of this scene from one of my most favorite movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDdee61XVwg&feature=related
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#30]
how come they look like that in pics but when you are in one, it isn't so bright and thick?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#31]
NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day archive

This is the 41st image, posted July 29, 1995.

This one was posted on June 26, 2008.

The image quality keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This reminds me of what led up to my account being locked briefly a while back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Entire galaxies blink out and the universe goes on. So no, it would not matter in the keast.

This does not diminish my belief in the Creator, our Father.  It humbles me very much that he would create the vast near infinity of the Cosmos and still think to make us.  I hope eventually we will prove almost worthy of His work.

Good night all and pray for our country.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]
We are made of star stuff.  Most likely the product of nuclear reactions in stars, and (for those atoms heavier than iron) the sudden high-energy reactions that occur during a supernova detonation.

The energy and star stuff in this little speck of the universe has so far given rise to all of the life and biodiversity, all of humanity, and (excepting supernatural interpretations) all of the thought and creative output of all minds on our planet.

Is that thought and creative output the natural result of having this star stuff and energy concentrated together in the way that it is in our solar system?  Is it likely, or unlikely?  Is this, life like exists on our planet, the only form in which thought and creative output occurs?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Post a pic of space, get a religious debate, never fails.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]
.dt
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#37]
oops.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you on? pass me some

The video BlackTalon posted sums it all up pretty well.

Without the awareness of the human mind to contemplate it what is it?

Treadhead got it right as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whjavascript:insertText('');at are you on? pass me some

Its the whole "tree falling in the forest" deal.

If there was no life anywhere in the universe to observe it, would the universe even exist?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This reminds me of what led up to my account being locked briefly a while back.

This is why I stay away from the religion forum.  

Sure seems like a lot of wasted space if our planet is the only one with life on it. (I think there is life out there. Just very far away.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If one knew the mind of God it would probably scare the crap out of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#42]
The question is, where does space end?  All things come to an end, so is the end of space like a brick wall ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The question is, where does space end?  All things come to an end, so is the end of space like a brick wall ?

Space is constantly growing as the universe expands.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's curved by the mass of the contents of the universe itself so you never reach a wall or end.  Like gravitational orbit...objects are falling in a straight line but the mass of what they're orbiting curves space so they're going around and around.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Don't they have artists do the coloring though?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's interesting that you use the "grain of sand" analogy.   It has been estimated that (within an order of magnitude or 2) the number of stars in the Universe is the same as the number of grains of sand on all the beaches on Earth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wow !!that blows my mind !!!

BTW WTF are we looking at anyway?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow !!that blows my mind !!!

BTW WTF are we looking at anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's curved by the mass of the contents of the universe itself so you never reach a wall or end.  Like gravitational orbit...objects are falling in a straight line but the mass of what they're orbiting curves space so they're going around and around.

You just broke my brain.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has the opposite effect on me.

<snip>

+1

It was though a curtain had been lifted: all became crystal clear at that point.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top