Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:00 PM EDT
Was in my poltical theory class and the rabidly liberal teacher asked us what we all thought was the "crisis" in America today. Everyone said somethign different until someone said "Social Security"

So I politely raised my hand and the conversation went like this

Me:"Lack of self responsibility, why rely on the Government for your retirement?"
Her:"Well what do you mean by that"
Me:"Well it's not the Governments responsibility to hand you out money, you need to take care of your self"
Her: "What about the people who can't take care of themselves?"
Me:"Like who, and how? Are they physically unable to, mentally unable to do or just plain lazy? Because if they are just plain lazy I don't give a shit what happens to the, they can hurry up and die it's not my fault they are too lazy to work

75% of the class turns around and freaks OUT, various "oh my god he did not just say that" or various gasps. It was quite hillarious.

I then resumed and said "If they are physically or mentally unable then it is there families responsiblity, the churches, or the State should help out it is not the federal governments responsibility for everything"

Amist all the freaking out a kid blurted out "I don't see why you people are so upset about what he said, rugged individualism is a characteristic of the earliest American settlers, it is something we were founded on"

Not much was said about that afterwards

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent...good job!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I give you an A plus!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Who is this other kid and what is his username here?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Its surprising how the double standard works in colleges.

Many times I voiced my opinion, and if the professor doesnt like it, you'll know it. They are all lib cocksuckers IMO.

It seems every one of my classes I have to hear about the Kyoto treaty, pollution, global warming, Bush's choices, terrorism..... All of them are extremely biased to the left and even more frightening is all the sheeple in the class just gobbling up the bullshit and agreeing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Rugged Individualism
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to do that sort of thing all the time. It was fun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You might have just flunked
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Freedom of Speech cuts both ways.

Unfortunately people get punished for their politics.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
You sir are TRULY a FIEND!!!  I LOVE IT!! we need more like you in our schools.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sadly that may be a true statement.

But heres to you for standing your ground..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Rugged Individualism

yep
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Kick ass...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Good show.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Great work, I showed a bunch of people videos from the hun farm and I got some weird looks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Good Job !!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Society is educating everyone to be a pussy-ass government titsucker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Touche.....

Unfortunately, College is like communism. There is no free speech in class, and those who are unmutual get exiled to siberia or worse, a firing squad come grade time.

...but that was eloquent and true to the bone.

Bravo....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I give you an A plus!

With bonus points!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Me:"Well it's not the Governments responsibility to hand you out money, you need to take care of your self"

So, why the fuck am I paying taxes to the Fed?  And, what about my brother, who was about to join the Army, then diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and rendered disabled?  Are you saying he shouldn't get SSDI benefits?  He worked full time from the day he graduated, and now you're saying his family should take care of him?  That he should have no independence?  He should hurry up and die?

He is now considered "uninsurable," and depends on Medicare/SSDI to get the help he needs.  I can honestly say that not one dime of his money goes to anything other than necessities.  Not one damn dime...

And, how about programs such as BackStop, for officers injured in the line of duty?  I suppose you don't support that, either.  They should hurry up and die?

Our soldiers, who are coming back without limbs, brain damage, and many other injuries?  They should move back in with their parents,  just to hurry up and die?

You should really think about what you're saying before opening your piehole.  It is self-centered, closed-minded morons like yourself that give the liberal retards all the fuel they need to label us inconsiderate/right-wing/etc.  I'm sure you're proud.  Thanks.

You're lucky I wasn't in that class.  I look forward to your response, be back tomorrow.

`45
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Touche.....

Unfortunately, College is like communism. There is no free speech in class, and those who are unmutual get exiled to siberia or worse, a firing squad come grade time.

...but that was eloquent and true to the bone.

Bravo....

True nuff.  They don't want your opinion.  They want their opinion rephrased.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
So you don't think the gov. should be involved right?  Mabye you should go back the US.History and pay attention to the 20's and the Depression.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't say shit. It only hurts you by making you look less edumacated.
Cool shit though
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, why the fuck am I paying taxes to the Fed?  And, what about my brother, who was about to join the Army, then diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and rendered disabled?  Are you saying he shouldn't get SSDI benefits?  He worked full time from the day he graduated, and now you're saying his family should take care of him?  That he should have no independence?  He should hurry up and die?

He is now considered "uninsurable," and depends on Medicare/SSDI to get the help he needs.  I can honestly say that not one dime of his money goes to anything other than necessities.  Not one damn dime...

And, how about programs such as BackStop, for officers injured in the line of duty?  I suppose you don't support that, either.  They should hurry up and die?

Our soldiers, who are coming back without limbs, brain damage, and many other injuries?  They should move back in with their parents,  just to hurry up and die?

You should really think about what you're saying before opening your piehole.  It is self-centered, closed-minded morons like yourself that give the liberal retards all the fuel they need to label us inconsiderate/right-wing/etc.  I'm sure you're proud.  Thanks.

You're lucky I wasn't in that class.  I look forward to your response, be back tomorrow.

`45

The only way you can construe his remarks as applying to soldiers injured in the line of duty is if you're trying to be offended.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Look, the way I understand what he said is:  If you are lazy you shouldn't get shit.  If you have an honest problem that you need help with, you should recieve it and that the states are in a better position to provide that help then the FED which doesn't have as close of an ear on the problem as the individual states do.  Not saying that the FED can't help, or can't do the job.  He just said that if you don't have a problem except being lazy, you should get what you got comming to you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

`45

The only way you can construe his remarks as applying to soldiers injured in the line of duty is if you're trying to be offended.

I then resumed and said "If they are physically or mentally unable then it is there families responsiblity, the churches, or the State should help out it is not the federal governments responsibility for everything"

That's why.  However, lets assume I didn't say that.  Now what?

`45
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
...if you don't have a problem except being lazy, you should get what you got comming to you.

And I completely agree with that statement.  100%.  Now, I really gotta take my bro out for $1 longnecks.  I look forward to your responses.

`45
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I completely don't believe in welfare or anything that impedes meritocracy but the "Social Security" issue is about something else.  It's about the government taking money out of your paycheck promising to give it back to you at a later date, but then squandering it away.  When you're out of school and start seeing how much is taken out, you'll see why people have made it a big issue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Was in my poltical theory class and the rabidly liberal teacher asked us what we all thought was the "crisis" in America today. Everyone said somethign different until someone said "Social Security"

So I politely raised my hand and the conversation went like this

Me:"Lack of self responsibility, why rely on the Government for your retirement?"
Her:"Well what do you mean by that"
Her: "What about the people who can't take care of themselves?"
Me:"Like who, and how? Are they physically unable to, mentally unable to do or just plain lazy? Because if they are just plain lazy I don't give a shit what happens to the, they can hurry up and die it's not my fault they are too lazy to work

75% of the class turns around and freaks OUT, various "oh my god he did not just say that" or various gasps. It was quite hillarious.

Amist all the freaking out a kid blurted out "I don't see why you people are so upset about what he said, rugged individualism is a characteristic of the earliest American settlers, it is something we were founded on"

What University are you going too?  Anywhere near Washington and Lee or VMI?

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

`45

+1  I *DO* see it from the soldiers perspective, and completely agree with what Fiend said.  I think your being a bit irrational.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That can work both ways, if the prof wants to be an ass. Fiend can play the "he's being intolerant of my opinions, he made me upset, and I want to sue" card. Or just say that the prof tried to seduce him, grabbed his ass, and made untoward advances...  Revenge is a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...if you don't have a problem except being lazy, you should get what you got comming to you.

And I completely agree with that statement.  100%.  Now, I really gotta take my bro out for $1 longnecks.  I look forward to your responses.

`45

Yes, if a man has problems such as your brother then it is the responsibility of his family to ensure that he gets the care he needs.  Personally I will help out someone like this if I can.  The .fed should not force it on the rest of us to simply hand out cash, as this is the best way to having what we have.  That is, a cash-hemorraging bloated .fed that cannot take responsibility for what it does or does not do.  The main point of any bureaucracy is to ensure its own survival and the expansion of its own budget.

Since you seem to be helping your brother out, that's great.

Why do we not have many private organizations that are involved in this kind of thing?  Because everyone relies on the .fed to take care of things.

Service to the country falls into a different category.

Even so, if the country felt that I & my wife should not get a pension from the .fed for our service, then I wouldn't complain about the decision.  I would get on with life and make certain that I had enough extra saved to cover that (which I intend to do anyway).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

`45

That's why.  However, lets assume I didn't say that.  Now what?

`45

His post in no way addressed soldiers, and like I said, the only way you can make it apply to soldiers is if you wanted to read that into his post.

As far as non-federal employees go (iirc youy talked about officers, and I assume you mean police officers) - those should be handled by local and state governments, not SSI.

See, here's the problem. Nobody thinks people doing jobs for the government and injured in those jobs should be left out in the cold. But SSI is the wrong way to do it. You send out BILLIONS of dollars to the feds, they take off a huge chunk in overhead (countless employees to administer it) and lose a bunch in fraud (lazy people claiming SS because they hear voices, etc) and then the people who paid into it for years and then really need it have to struggle to get it.

It's a crappy system that shouldn't exist. Firstly, because of the horrible inefficiency mentioned above, and second, because there's no power given to the federal government by the constitution to run the system.

So soldiers injured on the job would be taken care of by the benefits they signed up for - and they should exist without social security having to take up the slack. And local / state employees should be covered by their local and state governments so the people who need it can get more money, the taxpayers can save money, and states have the ability to better address fraud and waste- i.e. one state's voters can hold the state accountable. There is no accountability in a giant, unfeeling program run by the federal government.

If you want everything you claimed people should get, you should be for phasing out social security and letting the states handle those people better than the feds ever could.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  I *DO* see it from the soldiers perspective, and completely agree with what Fiend said.  I think your being a bit irrational.

-Ben

Again, I refer you to his blanket statement:  "If they are physically or mentally unable then it is there families responsiblity, the churches, or the State should help out it is not the federal governments responsibility for everything"

I assume that you are a soldier?  I have the utmost respect for you and yours if that is the case.  But do you think that our soldiers shouldn't be entitled to gov't assistance when they return injured?  I just want to clarify.

`45
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#36]
you should have ended your lesson with "put that in your pipe and smoke it."

GR
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Since you pay into social security your entire life, you don't want any of that back when you retire?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So soldiers injured on the job would be taken care of by the benefits they signed up for...

That's exactly what I am talking about.  Ha paid his SS taxes every year he worked at that shithole factory, he should get the "benefits he signed up/paid for"

OK, it's beer time.  Take care guys.

`45
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a difference between those who cannot, and those who will not help themselves. I will help the former. After all, who has not needed a hand up from time to time? But the latter deserve neither our money nor our pity.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted: I then resumed and said "If they are physically or mentally unable then it is there families responsiblity, the churches, or the State should help out it is not the federal governments responsibility for everything"

Are you and the other kid over 21? I'd buy both of you a round of beers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Since you pay into social security your entire life, you don't want any of that back when you retire?  

I'd opt out of social security now, let them keep what I've paid in, if I could keep all the money and invest it as I see fit.

Social security is a ponzi scheme...with a shrinking population, it is doomed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted: So, why the fuck am I paying taxes to the Fed?
That'a good question.

Oh please. Since you're dumb enough to respond like you just did, I'd say he'd clean your clock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So soldiers injured on the job would be taken care of by the benefits they signed up for...

That's exactly what I am talking about.  Ha paid his SS taxes every year he worked at that shithole factory, he should get the "benefits he signed up/paid for"

OK, it's beer time.  Take care guys.

`45

I hope you choke on your beer you cocksucking
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

`45

Learn to read.  I don't think that's the problem though.  I think you're trying to be offensive.  So grow up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Besides needing to attend Political Science -1 (minus one) where you will learn about "Man's position under a socialistic state,"  you get an "A" for having cajones grande.  Muy bueno!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted: I'd opt out of social security now, let them keep what I've paid in, if I could keep all the money and invest it as I see fit.
I've got a better idea bastiat! The Federal 'gubment should pay you all your SS money back, plus a few acres of Federal land. It's only fair. They were using your money (principal) for years so the Feds owe you interest (land).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I can't say I have any liberal professors.

It helps when you take a major in something USEFULL like science, math, business instead of that underwater basket weaving degree you seem to be getting.  Yep I think they are all conservative....

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I don't want to pay to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted: I'd opt out of social security now, let them keep what I've paid in, if I could keep all the money and invest it as I see fit.
I've got a better idea bastiat! The Federal 'gubment should pay you all your SS money back, plus a few acres of Federal land. It's only fair. They were using your money (principal) for years so the Feds owe you interest (land).

sheeet, my money is long gone, the only money I'm going to get back from what I've paid in is going to have to come from some other sucker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#50]
BACK ON TRACK HERE...

I used to fire right back at one of my liberal profs who would make ignorant comments about GWB and the death of the environment, etc...  I was in his class in '99 and he was pushing us hard to lean left and vote algore.  He also liked to talk about hunting, so I always called him on the gun ownership stance of the Left.  His was a class where you rarely got a true grade over 50-60% on your tests, yet with his magical curve you got a B for the quarter.

As for the state system vs. Fed. system for retirement, the PERS I'm in is doing WELL, thank you very little.  We elect board members to oversee the program statewide and there's accountability on several levels.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top