Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/25/2005 9:33:59 AM EDT
So a couple days ago, a local guy comes in with his son who just graduated from BUDS this summer.

The father is looking at getting broadband internet service and was doing all the talking.
The son was wearing a SEAL sweatshirt, other than that you wouldn't know that this kid was a SEAL.
I told him thanks for his service, and they both left after a few minutes.

You know how to tell if someone is a real Navy Seal?
He's the one watching everyone else and not saying a word.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:38:16 AM EDT
Dammit !
I tried not to post so you would think I was a SEAL
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:57:54 AM EDT
So....the sweatshirt made him a SEAL? Dayum...gotta git me one!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:04:51 AM EDT
I was even more impressed two years ago when I was in local gun store and a man and his early-20's son were in shopping. Dad was purchasing his son a nice pistol to take with him for Marine Corp flight training.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:09:37 AM EDT
This got me to thinking,I wonder if people that wear football jerseys in the mall are really professional football players...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:09:49 AM EDT
Did he know how to shoot? You might want to teach him like Deiter did.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:12:13 AM EDT
I'd think not. The difference between spec ops guys and wanna be spec ops guys, is that wanna bes advertise it. The real thing, don't.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:27:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By corwin1968:
I was even more impressed two years ago when I was in local gun store and a man and his early-20's son were in shopping. Dad was purchasing his son a nice pistol to take with him for Marine Corp flight training.

I'm pretty sure personally owned weapons are NOT allowed on duty in ANY branch of the military. Even specwar guys, who can take whatever they want, need to buy their toys with .mil money.

A Marine Corps aviator is most certainly not allowed to pack whatever he wants. He draws from the armory and that is that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:28:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cableman:You know how to tell if someone is a real Navy Seal?

I thought that was Chuck Norris?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:30:06 AM EDT
One of my fellow Naval Architecture majors at Annapolis became a SEAL. Trust me, you would NOT know this guys is an operator is he passed you by on the street.

You would think "California beach volleyball dude", not hardcore commando if you saw him.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:30:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 10:32:22 AM EDT by Dusty_C]

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Originally Posted By corwin1968:

I'm pretty sure personally owned weapons are NOT allowed on duty in ANY branch of the military. Even specwar guys, who can take whatever they want, need to buy their toys with .mil money.

A Marine Corps aviator is most certainly not allowed to pack whatever he wants. He draws from the armory and that is that.

Most of the 39th infantry brigade bought Glock 17s, 19s, 22,s or 23s when activated for Iraq. They knew before hand they could take em, and not bring em back. It was a nice month for my gun guy. I just wonder how they got .40 cal ammo.

One of my fellow Naval Architecture majors at Annapolis became a SEAL. Trust me, you would NOT know this guys is an operator is he passed you by on the street.

You would think "California beach volleyball dude", not hardcore commando if you saw him.

He's doing a good job then, that's what they go for. To look like anything other than was sheeple thinks seals look like.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:31:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By southeast_scrounger:
So....the sweatshirt made him a SEAL? Dayum...gotta git me one!

Lol...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:44:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cableman:You know how to tell if someone is a real Navy Seal?

I thought that was Chuck Norris?

Especially when he is tied to a scaffold wearing black pajamas getting cut across his chest by a NVA.

Damn,those were the good ol'e days.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:47:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:]Most of the 39th infantry brigade bought Glock 17s, 19s, 22,s or 23s when activated for Iraq. They knew before hand they could take em, and not bring em back. It was a nice month for my gun guy. I just wonder how they got .40 cal ammo.

From what I have heard from credible sources NO personal weapons are allowed in CETCOM's AOR.

And when I was in the Navy, NO personal weapons were allowed on duty in any ship or shore installation I was ever assigned to.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:50:17 AM EDT
From what I heard from 5 different officers and over 50 enlisteds in the 39th while helping them get glocks and extra mags was that if not otherwise issued a pistol, they could carry their own. A LOT did carry theirs over their, knowing they'd have to be left behind. It's not a secret thing either. They said other guard units had done the same.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:03:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cableman:

You know how to tell if someone is a real Navy Seal?

I dunno man, every "SEAL" I ever met just had to tell the world and big and bad they were.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:12:08 AM EDT
Last time I talked to a BUDS/SEAL (one of the first classes)

it took awhile before he would admit or even talk about it

he had some cool stories
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:45:11 AM EDT
In my first Prof Mil Education course (ASBC), there was a prior E Combat Controller (9 years) turned Combat Rescue Officer. Other than all his bling on his uniform (and his beret), you probably wouldn't have known how hardcore he really is. Real quiet. But he had this scar on his left cheek. I asked him about it a few weeks into the course, but he just played it off.

One of my flight instructors in pilot training was something when he was prior E, too. No one ever really asked him, but the scuttlebutt was he was a PJ. Real quiet and softspoken dude.

However, I have a pic of my brother (Navy) getting an award, and he's standing next to a real SEAL. The trident on the Seaman's uniform gave it away.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:33:10 PM EDT
Actually I see SEALS every day . Most of them you would never know they where DSEALS . Only one or two are still in the yungdumfullocum stage of braging .
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:40:16 PM EDT
I saw two seals today... I never saw anything so hardcore...

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:41:26 PM EDT
The quieter the river, the deeper it runs...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:42:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:33:09 PM EDT
I've only met one SEAL in my life. A few years ago 8 or 10 guys from Team 8 did a parachute demo into the Wings Over Pittsburgh Airshow. They had a little table set up for autographs and shit after they came in and me and my dad spent a while talking to one of 'em. The guy couldn't have been taller than 5' 5" and the whole time I was talking to him I couldn't help but think of trying to start shit with him just so I could say I got my ass kicked by a SEAL
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:34:36 PM EDT

One of the techs in our shop is an ex Marine . Yeah I know , no such thing as an ex Marine .
Well this blow -hard is an embarrassment to the Corps . ALWAYS bragging and telling war stories .
Anyway , one day the subject of Navy Seals came up . He tells us that " The Seals are the only
group that is trained to retreat . " What a prick .
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djohns6:

One of the techs in our shop is an ex Marine . Yeah I know , no such thing as an ex Marine .
Well this blow -hard is an embarrassment to the Corps . ALWAYS bragging and telling war stories .
Anyway , one day the subject of Navy Seals came up . He tells us that " The Seals are the only

Uh, aren't SEALs the only group that's trained to never retreat? And by retreat I mean moving backwards in an attempt to break-off contact with the enemy, not moving backwards in an attempt to re-group and continue to kick ass and take names.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:46:18 PM EDT
A friend of a friend from high school became a SEAL. At first he didn't seem likely, because he struck me as an immature dope. Not really an athelete or military in his interests, just kind of a dipshit, the kind of guy you figure will either be dead or in jail by the time he's 30.

But then thinking closer about him, it sort of made sense. He had kind of a wild hair up his butt and seemed reckless, but he was also kind of intense. Like when we'd hang out, he'd be curling a dumbbell. Didn't think of it at the time, but he was training himself, and that was when he was just chilling out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:50:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

Uh, aren't SEALs the only group that's trained to never retreat? And by retreat I mean moving backwards in an attempt to break-off contact with the enemy, not moving backwards in an attempt to re-group and continue to kick ass and take names.....

Peel maneuver
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:53:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By long-rifle-tactical:

Peel maneuver

Isn't that used so they can continue to engage the enemy from a better position?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 5:54:54 PM EDT by Dusty_C]
No, seals are trained to break off contact, for size of the operational unit they are extremely well armed but usually operate in small units. They have a "peel" technique for falling back to break off contact that'll ruin anybodies day. And anyone that has the discovery channel should know about it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
He should lose the sweatshirt. He's a target, no matter where he is.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:55:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

No, seals are trained to break off contact, for size of the operational unit they are extremely well armed but usually operate in small units. They have a leap frogging technique for falling back to break off contact that'll ruin anybodies day. And anyone that has the discovery channel should know about it.

Like I said, I thought when they did that it was only so they could continue fighting but from a different position.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:02:10 PM EDT
The skinny, geeky drum major of my Highschool's band is a SEAL. He went to the Naval Academy and basically entered puberty at age 18. He is not recognizable now from his high school self.

5'7" 135lbs then, 5'8" 185lbs now with the same 32 inch waist... runs a sub 3 hour marathon every Thanksgiving morning.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:02:28 PM EDT

Peel maneuver

Isn't that used so they can continue to engage the enemy from a better position?

I cannot speak for any Navy seal training but the tactical example would be:

Extreme intense fire storm from the team members forward and they leap frog back while maintaining suppressive fire.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:03:47 PM EDT

no one in teh military retreats they advance to the rear

its kinda funny how every guy that joins the navy is a SEAL. Ive met my fair share and worked with quite a few. my dad was one on team 2 in the late 70's early 80's for the most part when you are that HSLD you only really open up to other HSLD guys no matter what branch. SEALs Delta PJs Recon those guys are usually stick to their own. when joe schmoe askes them about their service they really play it off unless they are talking to another HSLD guy.

the quiter the river the deeper it flows.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:05:50 PM EDT

Peel maneuver

I cannot speak for any Navy seal training but the tactical example would be:

Extreme intense fire storm from the team members forward and they leap frog back while maintaining suppressive fire.

That's kinda my point. When I hear "retreat" the only thing that comes to my mind is not so much running away, but not wanting to fight the enemy anymore for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:13:07 PM EDT

No, seals are trained to break off contact, for size of the operational unit they are extremely well armed but usually operate in small units. They have a "peel" technique for falling back to break off contact that'll ruin anybodies day. And anyone that has the discovery channel should know about it.

I never needed the Discovery Channel to learn any training, you will not break contact performing a Peel.

The major ingredient in a Peel is to provide suppressive firepower to regroup and confuse the enemy in believing they have ran into a much larger element.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:41:40 PM EDT
I had a honest to goodness SEAl In my Police Academy. He was probably knocking on 60 years old. I never knew he was anyhting other than a broken down old man with an attitude until one of his coworkers told me.

I asked him about. We talked about it some. He was far from secretive, but nowhere near completely open. He was in vietnam for three years, and did an 8 year stint total. He trashed his knees dismounting from a river patrol boat. He is now a County Deputy in a courthouse, and a hell of a good friend.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:07:29 AM EDT
The peel technique is a method for a small unit (SEAL, Army scout team, whatever) to break contact. You aren't going to live long trying to engage a platoon plus with just a squad or less.

Why the big fascination with SEALS? Yeah they had the coolest movie, but they aren't anymore elite than SF, or even the AF's ParaRescue. They get the less cheesy movies, compare Navy Seals with the Delta Force movies (God, I'm not just opening the door, I'm knocking down the wall to let in the Chuck Norris stuff now.). Plus the video games. It's like a SEAL fetish or something.

Just to fit in though. I met a real life Navy SEAL once too. At Ft. Campbell, he was working as a PA type person at the hospital when I went in about a gash on my knuckle. Had the budweiser and everything. It was unusual since it was an Army hospital. I've also seen many 160th members, and 5th SFG, as well as Rangers from 2nd batt. and even knew a former member from 3rd batt. I've also seen many members of 1st SFG. Of course anyone in the Tacoma area has seen many Rangers and SF as they are stationed at Lewis. Just like anyone living in parts of VA or CA have seen the SEALs based there as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:13:04 AM EDT

I'd think not. The difference between spec ops guys and wanna be spec ops guys, is that wanna bes advertise it. The real thing, don't.

In my line of work I get to meet and talk with a lot of spec ops guys. Mainly Seals though. Depending where the are or what the venue they will blend in and be indistinguishable from anyone else, and seems like this is usually the norm. But there are a couple bars out on North Island where thay put on a shirt or maybe a ring.. Anyone who's USN and has been to N. Island knows the place(s) I'm talking about..
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:20:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:22:05 AM EDT

assholes always advertise..
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:25:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By heron163:
I saw two seals today... I never saw anything so hardcore...

seal aint got nothin on a walrus
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:36:49 AM EDT
Funny thing about real SEALs, you don't know they are by looking at them. The guy who installed our surround sound noticed the gun rags in the head. He struck up a conversation with my missus and he and I became shooting buddies based upon that conversation. After speaking with him I kinda figured he also did something cool and we eventually got around to what he did.

When I was in the suck, my unit traveled and co-mingled with civilians. While there were some hard-core guys who wore high and tights, most of us had the longest haircuts regs would allow in order to blend. Very few people I ever met realized I was in unless I had a uniform. Then they couldn't believe I was in due to the hair factory on top of my BHG (unless I was outside with a cover on).

JS
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:06:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 10:13:50 AM EDT by maddog71]
My cousin is a SEAL. He had moved to Quantico (and many more places afterwards) and I don't see him much anymore. I remember he always kept a low profile and it was very hard to get anything juicy. In the 80s he had guarded some high profile people and their families against specific terrorist threats in the U.S. I know some of the details because I remember hearing about it on the news way back then. There were attempts but they were unsuccessful. He later went became a DEA officer and is now an instructor. That's all I know, I'd love to know what else he did back then.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:16:06 AM EDT
I've worked with 2 Ex-SEAL team members over the last few years.
Neither brought it up in conversations, though one had some stories about Demo-Dick.
He also had a hat the said "The only easy day was Yesterday".
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:20:14 AM EDT

Never back off to regroup if needed??? Wouldn't this make them just like the waves of NVA during vietnam, just a whole lot less of them? Dosen't sound right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:21:25 AM EDT
Man it's cool that so many of you are inside the heads of SEALs.

<­BR>

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:31:27 AM EDT
My cousin is a retired Seal...now a civvie Contractor
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:02:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:

Inside the head or up the asses of is more like it.

Iv'e seen many a ordinary grunt that could fanny spank a special forces type like a seal or whatever and thats a fact.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:33:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nightowl7:

Originally Posted By PBIR:

Inside the head or up the asses of is more like it.

Iv'e seen many a ordinary grunt that could fanny spank a special forces type like a seal or whatever and thats a fact.

Fanny spank?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:42:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:
He should lose the sweatshirt. He's a target, no matter where he is.

The former SEAL instructor I know would NEVER wear one of those..

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top