Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/31/2015 9:41:09 PM EDT
So long story short, while sitting down to dinner I bit into an allegedly fully cooked barbecue chicken leg only to find the inside not only pink and raw looking/feeling but bright red blood was actually oozing out.  Naturally I refused to take another bite which caused my liberal uncle who was the one who claimed to have cooked it "for an hour at 375" to snatch the chicken off the table, throw the whole thing, including the sides, in the trash while screaming at me and ranting that his was "fine" and that I was an "ungrateful son of a bitch," and "wanted (my) chicken burned."  Anyone else have similar experiences with crazy ass relatives?

Also, how sick am I going to get from the bite of under cooked chicken I ate before his rampage?

Any chefs in here who can think of a reason why ACTUALLY cooked chicken would turn out like that?

I'm feeling slightly I'll now (about an hour later), am I worrying about nothing and psyching myself out, or am I in for an interesting couple of days?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Flush it down with 100 proof whisky.  Don't talk to those relatives again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You have weird family members.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Gross dude.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Dibs on optics
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Chickun got last laugh!

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
.... my liberal uncle ..
View Quote

this explains everything
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Over 5700 posts down the drain. Sorry man.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like y'all are both nuts. Grow a pair. Salmonella does suck tho. Don't wait 5 days to go to the hospital like I did.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, nothing more to that story or anything...

lol.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanksgiving is going to be a hoot
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
You're fine

1hr at 375 for a whole chicken is not enough
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Family ritual. They will be along to collect your kidneys soon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the back story?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
You'll live.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanksgiving is going to be a hoot
View Quote

Christmas too.....Easter....
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Depending, chicken can still have a red or pink color when cooked.

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends. If it was the hippie free range happy chicken, you'll probably be ok. If it was the cheap Walmart sitting in a FSA cart chicken, you're doomed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
you'll be fine.  You're probably making yourself sick (psychosomatic).  It's possible you'll actually get sick, but if you didn't swallow (snicker) you'll probably be fine.

As for the relatives, that's just weird.  I'm guessing there's a bit more history than this single incident cause if not, and maybe even if so, your uncle may seriously need to see a psychologist for rage issues or something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Enjoy counting your bathroom tiles.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Today's chickens are fed lots of hormones to increase size and growth rate. As a result, the bones are still soft when they are harvested. This allows marrow/blood/etc to migrant from the center of the bones to the meat. Freezing is believed to worsen this issue. The problem exhibits itself more on the smaller, thicker boned pieces such as thighs and legs.

You will be fine. As long as it was cooked to 165F. If not, you will die.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So long story short, while sitting down to dinner I bit into an allegedly fully cooked barbecue chicken leg only to find the inside not only pink and raw looking/feeling but bright red blood was actually oozing out.  Naturally I refused to take another bite which caused my liberal uncle who was the one who claimed to have cooked it "for an hour at 375" to snatch the chicken off the table, throw the whole thing, including the sides, in the trash while screaming at me and ranting that his was "fine" and that I was an "ungrateful son of a bitch," and "wanted (my) chicken burned."  Anyone else have similar experiences with crazy ass relatives?

Also, how sick am I going to get from the bite of under cooked chicken I ate before his rampage?

Any chefs in here who can think of a reason why ACTUALLY cooked chicken would turn out like that?

I'm feeling slightly I'll now (about an hour later), am I worrying about nothing and psyching myself out, or am I in for an interesting couple of days?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
You should have gone to your knees, done the swami-bow thing facing him and chanted "Hail Satan!" over and over until he threw you out.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Next time, man the fuck up.

You take that chicken out of the trash, beat the fuck out of your liberal uncle, and then eat the fucking raw chicken while he picks his chiclets up off the floor.

Jesus man, don't be a pussy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]
If blood was running out, definitely a no go. Sometimes chicken can be pink or even red next to the bone. A good way to tell if it's ok or not is to dab it with a white napkin. If the napkin comes away red, no go. If the napkin is still white, it's just the meat coloring next to the bone. A whole chicken assuming somewhere between 4.5 to 6 pounds usually would take me very close to 2 hours at 375.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You will be fine. As long as it was cooked to 165F. If not, you will die.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Invite him over for dinner next week. Cook two different servings of chicken, one under cooked and one done. Wait for him to shit and vomit himself inside out. Take video. Play it for him on your phone every time you see him for the rest of his retarded life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
pound the pro-biotics then buy the crazy uncle a meat thermometer
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont see where being liberal makes a difference in this event. Crazy uncle be a bad cook.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I cook chicken to about 145-150 usually.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Liberal?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but you should have refused to eat it simply because it once had a face...and then accuse your uncle of not being liberal enough.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Salmonella. You has it now.

Dibs on yer furniture.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Sometimes beer can chicken can look under done,  but blood oozing raw,  fuck that.  Guy sounds like a classy fella.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Great, another picky eater thread.

OP, I'm guessing you don't travel much? You fail throwing the "liberal" tag out there while at the same time making whatever political affiliation you ascribe to look fucking weak.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#36]
look at the bright side OP, soon you will be able to shit through a screen.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems like the most reasonable course of action.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#38]
that should be the last time you ever see the uncle

tell your parents or aunt or whoever that you will not be around the guy again

and then stick to it

there's no good reason why you should be wasting your time with a flaming asshole like that
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife is a food service manager so under cooked chicken is a no-go in my house. 2-2.5 hours for a chicken in our house is the norm. You uncle sounds like an imature spoiled brat.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL

Liberal uncle seems to have a short fuse.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#41]
155 degrees and few minutes rest.  

Also, man up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Invite him over for dinner next week. Cook two different servings of chicken, one under cooked and one done. Wait for him to shit and vomit himself inside out. Take video. Play it for him on your phone every time you see him for the rest of his retarded life.
View Quote

This. Always put hypocrisy and double standards on display, if only for entertainment purposes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I cook chicken to about 145-150 usually.
View Quote

WTF?! Do you wanna die man?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or some hot sauce, cilantro, or citrus
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#45]
He overreacted because he knew he fucked up.

I personally find nothing more irritating than cooking a piece of meat for hours and then finding the damn thing still not be completely done.  Chicken is notorious for this and is the reason I invested in meat thermometers.

Yes, a whole chicken needs longer than 1 hour to completely cook at 375.

Just a pan of wings takes 45 min. at 375.

Your uncle sounds like a real charmer, having no more self control than that.  I don't think I'd be hanging out much with him after that tantrum.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Uncle SMACK, problem solved
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

What's the back story?
View Quote
Yup, whole lot more going on here besides bad chicken.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Liberal unable to control temper I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He overreacted because he knew he fucked up.

I personally find nothing more irritating than cooking a piece of meat for hours and then finding the damn thing still not be completely done.  Chicken is notorious for this and is the reason I invested in meat thermometers.

Yes, a whole chicken needs longer than 1 hour to completely cook at 375.

Just a pan of wings takes 45 min. at 375.

Your uncle sounds like a real charmer, having no more self control than that.  I don't think I'd be hanging out much with him after that tantrum.
View Quote

This....... I've cooked two dozen drum sticks before and had 23 perfectly cooked and one raw as you described....  I couldn't stop apologizing and still have no clue what the heck happened.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top