Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2013 8:21:57 AM EDT
AKA Adult chicken pox
AKA herpes zoster  

I posted a topic about having this weird and slightly painful nerve ending type pain on my ribs
I thought I had injured myself when I pulled a muscle fighting my dog to the bath....

Now I have the rash, the nerve ending pain and itch...along with mild flu type feeling  

Anyone ever have this?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Shingles isn't exactly adult chicken pox.  Shingles occurs when the herpes zoster virus becomes active again in a person who had chicken pox as a child.  Adult chicken pox is when an adult gets the herpes zoster virus for the first time; ie they never had chicken pox as a child.
I've had shingles, and it sucks balls.  However, adult chicken pox is much much worse.

ETA:  Have you been put on anti-viral medication?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have shingles but I had chicken pox twice. Once when I was a kid and once when I was 22, so I worry about getting shingles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]

My brother had it bad.

And when I say bad, I mean bad.

I guess he waited too long to hit the doc and get the appropriate meds (anti viral?) and he paid the price.

He said it hurt like a mother.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I got over a bout with shingles a month or two back, it really sucked but it does pass.  My doc wouldn't give me a shot, he said it wouldn't help at all  Wearing clothes hurt
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Had it on the top of my head.  Anti virals cleared mine right up.  It did suck mightily for a few days though.  My uncle has had them for years, no relief from any meds.  It seems to vary greatly among different folks.  If you get a bad case though, you are in for some misery.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't have shingles but I had chicken pox twice. Once when I was a kid and once when I was 22, so I worry about getting shingles.

What you had at 22 was shingles, unless your body somehow miraculously cured itself of the herpes zoster virus.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The rash just showed up a day ago. It's a spot in an area about 2 inches  on my right upper ribs.
Been using ringworm cream I had....going to the Dr. this afternoon, it isn't official yet...but after
reading up, every sign on the interwebs is dead on  

The shit hurts, but manageable....seems to be worse at night trying to sleep
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Been there, done that.  Sucked hard.  Take your antiviral meds.  They cleared me up fairly quickly, but it was a good solid week and a half of pure suck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Had many break outs.  The residual neuralgia is a peach
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Dude, I get that shit on my fucking face every couple years.  It's horrible.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]
That shit fucking sucks

I just got over having it from my nipple to my shoulder blade
And I have to wear a concealable vest at work, fuck my motherfucking life
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#12]

A few questions:

At what age should someone get the vaccine?

If you have an outbreak are you contagious like with the chicken pox?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I had them a couple years ago at the age of 40.
They have been gone for a long time but every once in a while when my shirt rubs against my side just right it feels like briars.  

Be glad they aren't on your face, a co worker of mine looks like he survived a shotgun blast to the face.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I once dated a chick who had shingles. When I found out, I told her I was going to go outside for a smoke. That was the last I saw of her.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#15]

I've never had chicken pox...I'm 24.

I know I'm going to get it when I'm older and suffer horribly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A few questions:

The recomended  age is 60.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes sir. I was 29 years old and had been up for like 3 days straight, studying for National Board exams. Like you, I had a peculiar feeling on the left side of my chest in the skin. Two days later and there were my little herpetic friends, coming out to say hello. Cleard up and haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I once dated a chick who had shingles. When I found out, I told her I was going to go outside for a smoke. That was the last I saw of her.

Pray tell, why?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I am 43...never had this...I had the flu about 3 weeks ago. Wondering if it's related.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Just curious, have you ever had a chicken pox vaccination?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I developed shingles on my right shoulder, exactly where the butt pad of my 12ga was two days before.

Same symptoms as yours.  Nerve pain, fever.

Nerve pain lasted a long time, but got better faster after I started frequently rubbing the area.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A few questions:

Last year my Doctor recommended I get the vaccine, so I did.

Mid-fifties here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#23]
A few years ago I had the nerve ending pain on my back of my upper arms.  Pain every time my shirt rubbed my arms.    Haven't had any flare-ups since then, and I hope I never have any more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few questions:

FDA changed it to 50 a few years back.  Though my wife and I know quite a few people that got shingles in their 40's.  We're both 48 and wanted to get the vaccine, but you have to be 50.

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm248390.htm
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#25]
In the middle of in now...I didnt get the blisters, but my god is the nerve pain unbearable. Going on 2 months now... (34)
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pray tell, why?

She farted in front of me on our second date, and blew red wine chunks all over my bitchin faux fur futon on the third.

I didn't want to stick around for the fifth.

I also didn't want to get the itis.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Varicella Zoster virus (AKA chickenpox) lives in your dorsal root ganglia after you clear the initial infection.  By hiding in a nerve it avoids being cleared entirely.  It comes back out when you are immunocompromised and follows a dermatomal pattern from whatever nerve root it was hiding in.  Same reason "cold sores" appear when you are sick, they are from another type of herpes virus that hides until your immune system is weakened.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
AKA Adult chicken pox
AKA herpes zoster  

I posted a topic about having this weird and slightly painful nerve ending type pain on my ribs
I thought I had injured myself when I pulled a muscle fighting my dog to the bath....

Now I have the rash, the nerve ending pain and itch...along with mild flu type feeling  

Anyone ever have this?

That's exactly where and what happened to me.  I played hockey for 14 years growing up and I thought I had been injured during a game.  It lingered for days so I actually thought I may have broken a rib.  Then the spots showed up and I thought it was poison ivy.  I had remembered being in the woods with a friend days prior, and had leaned up against a tree to take a leak.

I went to the doctor and he says, "Who told you this was poison ivy?"  Anyway, I was a kid and haven't had it since.  It hurt and itched when I had it but from the stories I've read here, I don't think I had it anywhere near as bad as some of you.  One poster here says he has it on his face and it's effecting his eye sight.  Hope yours only lasts a couple weeks like mine did.

They still weren't as bad as when my entire family got Scabies.  We rented a nice triple decker house in the Outer Banks.  It was infected and we all came home with those fucking bugs.  I was literally crying on the airplane because they were on my dick and it itched worse than anything I've ever experienced.  Had to put some sort of bug killer lotion on for a week.....my entire body was being harvested by those things.  Worse ailment in my entire life.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few questions:

FDA changed it to 50 a few years back.  Though my wife and I know quite a few people that got shingles in their 40's.  We're both 48 and wanted to get the vaccine, but you have to be 50.

I'm 26 and got the shingles.  The doc said that most insurance won't cover the vaccine until you're in your 50's, and that it's a couple of hundred bucks otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am 43...never had this...I had the flu about 3 weeks ago. Wondering if it's related.

Probably, a weakened immune system usually causes shingles.  I got them a couple years ago after having a TDAP and yellow fever immunization.  Mine were fortunately painless and diagnosed early.  Got some valtrex and dandruff shampoo prescribed to dry them up and they were gone in a week.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I was 32 when I got chicken pox, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Random ass question.  

Im 28, never had chicken pox,  but ended up getting the vaccine for it when I was around 20 or so...  Does the vaccine put you in the same category as a candidate for shingles later or am I off the hook?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few questions:

The recomended age is 60.

FDA changed it to 50 a few years back. Though my wife and I know quite a few people that got shingles in their 40's. We're both 48 and wanted to get the vaccine, but you have to be 50.

I'm 26 and got the shingles. The doc said that most insurance won't cover the vaccine until you're in your 50's, and that it's a couple of hundred bucks otherwise.

Knowing what you know now, would you have paid the couple hundred bucks out of pocket?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few questions:

I'm 26 and got the shingles.  The doc said that most insurance won't cover the vaccine until you're in your 50's, and that it's a couple of hundred bucks otherwise.

That's what I was told by my doctor a month ago when I asked.  He told me the age was 55 before they would cover it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Got shingles in my 30's. No biggy. BTDT.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Pics of roof?  

Seriously though, feel better OP.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Zostrix. buy some. thank me later. It is an over the counter cream.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I was lucky enough to somehow get shingles, yes shingles not chicken pox (had those when I was really young) at the ripe old age of 13 wonderful pain it causes I must say. I think I remember the doctor saying something about it usually being on only one side of the body. It was a shitty time, I had it BAD.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had them a couple years ago at the age of 40.
They have been gone for a long time but every once in a while when my shirt rubs against my side just right it feels like briars.  

Be glad they aren't on your face, a co worker of mine looks like he survived a shotgun blast to the face.

Am I your co-worker ?  

The left side of my face is pretty scarred from a shingles bout 9 years ago.  (Happened before I moved to WV, though.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I've always wondered if I could get shingles. I'm 51 now. I was a carrier of chicken pox as a child. That and measles. I could never get either disease, but pass it on to others.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Had it when I was 32, unemployed with twin babies.

My twins are now 14, and I can still feel the tingles on my rib cage when I get stressed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Go get and take some supplemental Lysine 2000 - 3000iu, Olive Leaf extract, Licorice Root Extract, Cod Liver Oil, ZInc, Welch's 100% Red or Concorde Grape Juice, Red is preferable as it contains the most Resveratrol, an anti- viral compound, Pure Aloe Vera Juice for drinking and Pure Aloe Vera Gel.

Rub the Gel into and around the affect areas and drink plenty of both of the juices. refrain from foods or beverages that contain arginine, Google it, as Arginine supports the virus and defeats Lysine.

I would bet that you'll be right within 5 or 6 hours. I used this same reginem on both of my children when they brought Chicken Pox home from school and after them getting feverish, achy and breaking out in blisters for 4 or 5 hours I gave them the aforementioned supplements and juices and within two hours new blisters had stopped forming and the existing ones began to dissipate, their fever and aches subsided and they looked good to go inside of 6 hours.

It really works, there are many studies to back it up.

Do it, you will be glad you did.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#44]
There is a vacine you can get but it cant be during an attack.  It supposedly prevents future episodes, that reminds me I need to get mine!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was 32 when I got chicken pox, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I hear it's awful.

I was born with a ton of health issues (collapsed lungs, heart condition, weakened immune system) so I got a type of chicken pox vaccine early because my doctors weren't sure I could handle it if i got the chicken pox.

Apparently the vaccine isn't a life long thing though so I could get it later in life.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#46]
So the Dr. visit was a damn waste of co-pay  
Yep..it's confirmed shingles, here is an anti-inflammatory
See ya later......

What now? Wait it out?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So the Dr. visit was a damn waste of co-pay  
Yep..it's confirmed shingles, here is an anti-inflammatory
See ya later......

What now? Wait it out?

No anti-viral?  Your provider sucks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Had a quarter-sized patch on my chest.  Ungodly pain and I don't know how people with really large outbreaks manage.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#50]

I had them in my early 40's across my lower back hip to hip. I couldn't sleep or wear pants for 4 days.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top