Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:24 PM EDT
Have you ever tried to read Arabic? Holy shit. They have more consonants than we have letters. The vowels, well "it's complicated". And one of the letters sometimes functions as the letter "w" but sometimes it functions as the letter "u" does in the word "dude". Some of the letters make sounds that aren't natural speaking sounds.

Oh well, gotta perpetuate the Army's use for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:48:35 PM EDT by _DR]
When I lived in Riyadh working on contract, I made a little progress. My Vocab was improving, I could read a bit, but the writing right to left was holy hell. I pretty much gave up on writing anything. I remember seeing a Macintosh with everything in Arabic and thinking that was weird as hell. You typed from right to left .

Fortunately all the road signs were in english as well as arabic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:59:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:
When I lived in Riyadh working on contract, I made a little progress. My Vocab was improving, I could read a bit, but the writing right to left was holy hell. I pretty much gave up on writing anything. I remember seeing a Macintosh with everything in Arabic and thinking that was weird as hell. You typed from right to left .

Fortunately all the road signs were in english as well as arabic.

You just blew my mind man.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:09:14 PM EDT
Repeat after me...

Dirka dirka. Mohamed jihad dirka.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:18:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:
Repeat after me...

In'sha'allah
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:00:41 PM EDT
The most fun is that the spelling of the word is frozen at it's 7th century form while the pronunciation has drifted as expected over the intervening centuries. So when you write the word, the syllables bear little resemblance to how you say it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:01:30 PM EDT
Repeat after me...

This get me through ^
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:10:41 PM EDT
A friend of mine showed me what my name would be in Arabic. She's one smart cookie and is now at the USAF Academy, and I'm sure Big Brother Blue will put her multi-lingual talents to good use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:10:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kspengler:
The most fun is that the spelling of the word is frozen at it's 7th century form while the pronunciation has drifted as expected over the intervening centuries. So when you write the word, the syllables bear little resemblance to how you say it.

'splains much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:27:56 PM EDT
Hmmm, , i wonder if their fucked up script is fucked up intentionally to keep most people illiterate? You ever wonder why English spelling usually makes no sense? Like "Table", excuse me is that pronounced tab-lay? Yet if you look at olde anglo-saxon middle english like Chaucer its actually spelled a LOT better than it is today. So whats the reason for that?? It was done by the elites TO KEEP Peasants in their place! Keep them illiterate so they can't learn to read about freedom and other "evils" No, i'm not even joking about that. look it up.
What Grammer Nazis on this board and other places don't realise is that words like "There, their or weather or whether" were only ARBITRARILY assigned BY ONE JACKASS FUCKFACE named Dr. Samuel Johnson. Well fuck him! English Twat GIT!!

Whoops, im ranting about english spelling in a stupid arabic script thread. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:53:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
Have you ever tried to read Arabic? Holy shit. They have more consonants than we have letters. The vowels, well "it's complicated". And one of the letters sometimes functions as the letter "w" but sometimes it functions as the letter "u" does in the word "dude". Some of the letters make sounds that aren't natural speaking sounds.

Pronouncing the language is actually fairly easy IMO as long as you are able to avoid trying to pronounce everything like it's in English (seems the majority of English speakers do this a lot even though most languages are pronounced in a very different way); of course, I speak a language other than English so that may have helped me out. My main issue is simply the characters themselves, which are a pain in the arse to read. Individually they are fine but once they are in a word or sentence forget it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:25:14 AM EDT

English is worse in this regard.

Much of our spellings were becoming standardized when the great vowel shift was occurring. Many words are spelled in a manner that does not reflect their post-shift pronunciation, but some still are. A common example of this is the difference in pronunciations between the words great and meat, which based on spelling along would seemingly be pronounced with the same vowel sounds, but aren't.

As a Farsi speaker (Farsi has approximately 40% Arabic vocabulary), I find Arabic remarkably predictable and organized (even if more complex than Farsi with regard to grammar). It's trilateral root construction and general adherence to predictable "measures" modifying the root into more complex words truly takes out the guesswork.

Farsi however (much like Modern English) is a language of mixed origin, and is governed by the rules of both its Indo European Farsi core as well as its large Arabic loanword component.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:28:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fender57:

What Grammer Nazis on this board and other places don't realise is that words like "There, their or weather or whether" were only ARBITRARILY assigned BY ONE JACKASS FUCKFACE named Dr. Samuel Johnson. Well fuck him! English Twat GIT!!

You are sooooo full of shiite.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:29:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Pronouncing the language is actually fairly easy IMO as long as you are able to avoid trying to pronounce everything like it's in English (seems the majority of English speakers do this a lot even though most languages are pronounced in a very different way); of course, I speak a language other than English so that may have helped me out. My main issue is simply the characters themselves, which are a pain in the arse to read. Individually they are fine but once they are in a word or sentence forget it.

I find that the Arabic script is just as easy to read as English written in cursive. It's when Arabic script is handwritten by somebody with sloppy handwriting that it becomes a real challenge.

Of course this is true with and foreign language and especially those using other than a Latin script, but when trying to read something poorly handwritten, it really tests your knowledge of sentence structure and vocabulary. You have to almost predict what the following word might be if it is handwritten so poorly as to be nearly illegible to a non-native reader.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:33:33 AM EDT

Are you attending a basic DLI course, or are you taking an abridged version of an Arabic acquisition course (like an SF language course)?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 12:44:26 AM EDT by Bradders]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:21:57 AM EDT
On the radio the other day, some guy on a talk show said that there are more books translated into Spanish every year than have been translated into Arabic in the last thousand years.

Interesting........if it's true. Gives one a perspective on the Arab intellect (or lack thereof).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:48:01 AM EDT

English is like that in many cases. That's why Spanish is so easy to read and write. It sounds just like you say it. A guy at work speaks Spanish at home. I was shocked when I asked him to read something in Spanish and he said he didn't read Spanish. I know he can read English. I couldn't believe he could read English and speak Spanish without being able to read Spanish.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:49:51 AM EDT
And they don't even have to contend with the Hebrew Furtive Patah.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:57:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By conductor:
On the radio the other day, some guy on a talk show said that there are more books translated into Spanish every year than have been translated into Arabic in the last thousand years.

Interesting........if it's true. Gives one a perspective on the Arab intellect (or lack thereof).

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:24:23 AM EDT
arabic is an interesting language. i got bored with work and a predictable schedule so i decided to take arabic 101 just for fun. i'm pretty good at learning new languages, but arabic was definitely challenging. the "root and pattern" style language makes it easier to learn and associate words with each other, but the lack of short vowel sounds in words makes it tough. for example, the masculine and feminine "you" are both spelled the same in normal, unvocalized script. you have to know the context of the sentence to know whether it's a masculine or feminine "you".
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:24:33 AM EDT
A Muslim character's line from Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising"

"I have read only one book in my life, the Koran. It is enough."

Well, there's your problem right there.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:31:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cookhj:
arabic is an interesting language. i got bored with work and a predictable schedule so i decided to take arabic 101 just for fun. i'm pretty good at learning new languages, but arabic was definitely challenging. the "root and pattern" style language makes it easier to learn and associate words with each other, but the lack of short vowel sounds in words makes it tough. for example, the masculine and feminine "you" are both spelled the same in normal, unvocalized script. you have to know the context of the sentence to know whether it's a masculine or feminine "you".

Context is a bitch.

A post here some days back was "Netflix is out for the iPhone".

So..........

Netflix is out of the running, out of the question, etc.

Netflix is out on the shelves, is out for sale, etc.

A Vietnamese guy I used to work with gave me many confusing and contradictory examples in English that he had to learn, or try to. But, he also said learning French back in the motherland was a real bitch, too, and for the same reason - context.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:56:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:

English is like that in many cases. That's why Spanish is so easy to read and write. It sounds just like you say it. A guy at work speaks Spanish at home. I was shocked when I asked him to read something in Spanish and he said he didn't read Spanish. I know he can read English. I couldn't believe he could read English and speak Spanish without being able to read Spanish.

HAHA, yeah we had a guy in my unit that could speak French and Arabic fluently, somewhat read them, and also speak a couple other languages, not fluently but well enough to order lunch and direct a cab driver. He tried to explain to me why one of the Juice boxes in the chow hall said "JOOSE". After trying to connect the syllables with the arabic script a couple of times I just looked at him like and he decided to stop teaching dumb ass grunts Arabic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:01:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cjk1:

Are you attending a basic DLI course, or are you taking an abridged version of an Arabic acquisition course (like an SF language course)?

I'm taking Arabic 101 at the University of Alabama.

The National Guard ain't paying for grunts to go to DLI.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:40:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By conductor:

I don't know about the intellect bit, but much of what we know as Arabic and early Islamic literature, poetry, and art was the work of Arabized Persians, and not Arabs themselves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 2:43:44 PM EDT by Frost7]
Originally Posted By Ex0331:
Repeat after me...

This get me through ^

+1

If you start losing them, just drop some "Death to Israel" in there too and it's all good.
Top Top