Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/3/2007 3:52:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2007 3:52:34 PM EST by Brians_45]
And the HD channels I get are pretty good, but not great. However, the "regular" channels now suck ass. Hard. I have read the manual for the TV twice and have screwed with every adjustment I could find. No luck. The picture still sucks on the "regular" channels.

So, to the point. Direct TV touts that they have more HD channels at a better quality than anyone else. True? Bullshit? Are their regular channels any better?

I have Cox Communication cable right now.

I know some of you HD geeks out there know the answer, fess up.

Oh, and while I have your attention, what about the Direct TV internet service?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:07:19 PM EST
Not really a subject matter expert, but I do work in the field.

Ask the place you bought it from (assuming it wasn't online) what their service provider was, because if you looked at it in the store, and were impressed by how it looked, only half the story was the TV.

And yes, analog looks like teh sux, and digital slightly less teh sux, but it's akin to feeding a top fuel dragster 87 octane.

Your HDTV is designed to look awesome with a particular feed, HD.

The other stuff, not so much.

Which is why I'm sucking it up until the stations I enjoy are in HD (which may be forever depending on provider).

The good news is, every consumer that buys an HD set is hellairritated that they get so few channels that look up to the standard they expect, so this will hopefully spur competition among providers to increase their HD channel lineup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:12:03 PM EST
Does your model have an over the air tuner built in? If so, hook it up to an antenna and tune the over the air HD channels in.

From what I read Cox does not re-broadcast HD content in its full bandwith.

If you are far from a major city check out antennaweb.org for antenna instructions.

My HDTV experience so far is they really shine with a good quality HD signal, not so much with a standard definition signal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:16:11 PM EST
I've got one of those round antennas up on the garage that gets high definition channels. If they aren't really HD, they look pretty darn good. I also have Bell ExpressVu with their HD package, normal channels look pretty good, and the HD channels are great. This is on a 51" rear projection tv.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:17:20 PM EST
OK, I'll give an answer.

I've been a Dish network customer for 11 years now so I might be a bit biased but most of my opinions are backed up with posts from the DBS forums.

Dish Network has more HD programming than anyone else in the market - bar none!

While both DBS providers compress their HD signals Direct TV seems to be more compressed providing a worse picture than Dish Network.

All standard definition programming viewed on a HD TV will look like shit - some more than others, it just depends on the programming source.

I can't comment on cable as I've never had it.

Check out the DBS forums:

www.satelliteguys.us/index.php?

www.dbstalk.com/index.php?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:22:42 PM EST
What kind of HDTV is it? I'm going to assume it's a flat panel, fixed pixel display, because they almost always suck ass when displaying SDTV. The biggest issue is where and how you're upconverting the SD signal to the native resolution of your screen. Usually you can either have your HD cable/satellite box output everything in 1080i, or have it pass everything through in the format it's broadcast, and one way will be better than the other, depending on which has the better processor.

I had regular Dish SD for a year and watched it on my HD CRT, and it was pretty bad. Not near as bad as it would be on a fixed pixel display, but bad. When I got Dish HD and the 622 DVR and had it output everything in 1080i it got way better.

And finally, no matter what you do a SD signals ideal viewing distance is going to be at least twice as far away from the screen as an HD signal, maybe even three times as far. Like five times the screen size instead of two, so the bigger the screen the bigger that difference becomes. If you've got a big screen the only hope is to have two different places to sit.

DirecTV isn't as good as Dish at the moment, it could be they'll get ahead later this year, but Dish is ramping up more bandwidth too.

Dish doesn't compress as much as direct, or cable, but some of the channels don't look quite as good as an OTA signal. The movie channels, discovery, UHD, and others are full bandwidth feeds, but sometimes you get compression artifacts on the other channels if things are moving too fast.

Hope that helps, lots of people are disappointed by the SD PQ of the fixed pixel displays, that's why I'm still watching a CRT.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:33:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2007 4:35:32 PM EST by ByteTheBullet]
We just got an HDTV...DVDs look great! Even the ones I burned from DIVX. Regular cable looks pretty darned good. I hooked up a regular antenna and the couple HD local channels looked great. A football game was on one channel, it looked amazing, too bad I don't watch sports. We just, and I mean 5 minutes ago, ordered the HD upgrade from Comcast. They are bringing the HD cable box out Friday. WOOT!

It is kinda bad going from a really clear HD channel to a SD cable signal and the SD colors look a little muddy on some channels.

eta: RCA 26" tube HDTV. The tuner retunes each channel from the cable box even though the tv stays on channel 3.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:36:19 PM EST
The TV is a Sharp 52" Aquos. It can be found here.

It does have a built it tuner, so I may have to give the antenna thing a shot. I am in an apartment, though, so it may be difficult.

I'll also check out Dish Network and the forum links posted.

I am sitting about 8' from this tv, so the "sitting too close" theory for SD is very correct. I never thought about that.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys!

<runs off to do more research>
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:54:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By Brians_45:
The TV is a Sharp 52" Aquos. It can be found here.

It does have a built it tuner, so I may have to give the antenna thing a shot. I am in an apartment, though, so it may be difficult.

I'll also check out Dish Network and the forum links posted.

I am sitting about 8' from this tv, so the "sitting too close" theory for SD is very correct. I never thought about that.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys!

<runs off to do more research>

Check this site for antenna and HDTV info...linky

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:29:45 PM EST

It does have a built it tuner, so I may have to give the antenna thing a shot

Buy a good UHF antenna. You'll get a better HDTV picture than satellite or any cable service gives you. A few weeks ago I got to see what Comcast lies and says is HDTV compared to real HDTV side by side on the same model TV, and the antenna signal beat it easily. The Antennas Direct DB2 from solidsignal.com for ~$45 is well worth the money. Even here in a city with a population of only 40k I can still get about 20 free over the air digital channels with our small antenna on the top of our three story building.z
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:33:25 PM EST
HDNet over Comcast has a spectacular picture, as do some of the Discovery channels
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:34:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:40:29 PM EST
As K2QB3 said, it's an upconversion problem, not an antenna problem. The standard broadcasts are being "converted" to a resolution that makes sense to your new tv. Anything in its "native" resolution (i.e. 1080i or 720p) will look wonderful but anything else will be kind of grainy. It's akin to taking a traditional photograph and digitizing it on a scanner... it loses it's sharp lines, gets blocky pixels, colors bleed, etc. And this doesn't even account for the fact that having a higher quality image will bring out any flaws that previously existed in the viewing material.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:41:56 PM EST
chances are that your box is taking analog channels (usually below 100) and then it trys to convert it to digital, but makes it worse. because all my channels below 100 on antenna are WAY better quality. the box upconverts and messes it up
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:43:44 PM EST
What kind of cables are you running to the TV?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:47:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
What kind of cables are you running to the TV?

HDMI

I am watching the sugar bowl right now, so I'll comment more in a bit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:53:31 PM EST
With HDMI you should be getting a nice picture. SD however looks pretty crappy on a big ass TV. They seem to accentuate how bad the picture really is. I find myself watching DiscoveryHD a lot since I got an HDTV. I dunno jack about Direct TV. I guess I have nothing useful to add, so I'll shut up now. Enjoy the game.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:00:14 PM EST
what kind of cable box do you have. we had the a similar problem with our HD boxes.
Top Top