Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/29/2006 11:50:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 11:51:25 AM EDT by drewucf]
All my life my parents (well usually mom) tried to keep me away from guns. Let's just say they were never really fans. That didn't stop me from my passion and finally started collecting and shooting when I first went to college. I was always afraid to tell my parents that I collect and shoot mainly because they are still helping me through college and didn't want to get on their bad side with them knowing I have guns in my house. Well finally after having a long catching up with both parents, I finally broke the news to them. I was bracing myself for what could have been a shitstorm but when I invited my dad to go shooting with me he didn't even think twice and enthusiasticly agreed.

You guys have no idea how cool this feeling is. The only gun my father ever owned was a Ruger MK1 he bought when he first got out of college. He gave it to me about a year ago because he hadn't shot it since way back and said he really didn't care for them. Now today I find out that he used to skeet shoot a lot when he was younger. I can't wait to open his eyes to how much fun my AR15 and AKM are. Now I just have to wait til the end of February when my ammo finally gets here from being backordered
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:33 PM EDT
Just got back from the range with my dad... Hes in his 70's... He cant walk around in the woods like he used to, so we shoot at the indoor range... Had a great time... Good shootin partner them dads are...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:09:31 PM EDT
Good for you. My story is kinda odd. My mom hated guns, but considered the use and ownership of them as an essential component of freedom. She actually bought me my first few real guns.

My dad on the other hand was an occasional hunter and shooter, but didn't really care much for guns and was a real bear to drag out to the range. He was also in favor of draconian gun control on the basis that no one NEEDED a handgun or EBR...

Thank God I had an uncle and some pro-gun friends when I was a kid...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:12:09 PM EDT
My dad has no interest in guns beyond what he uses to hunt with and a couple handguns he has for self-defense (he's even considering a CCW, finally!). My mother has absolutely no interest in firearms whatsoever and wants as little to do with them as possible, which is odd considering that she shot .22's a lot as a kid and got to blast stuff with a full-auto Thompson that a friend of the family owned when she was in junior high. She also agrees with me that anyone who tries to confiscate lawfully owned guns should bring their own bodybag, 'cause that's the only way they're leaving the premises. It just strikes as weird that she enjoyed firearms when she was younger and agrees with all the same philosophies of gun ownership as me but would rather not even touch them anymore. Nearest I can tell, she lost interest in them and now knows next to nothing about them and has decided her ignorance is a danger; rather than educate herself, she'd simply rather not handle anything she isn't familiar with. It boggles the mind.

My mother also objected to my desire for an AK clone, mainly because "someone stupid could see you with it, think it's a machine gun, call the cops, and get you arrested or shot for no reason. Oh teh noes!!!1!!11!" Now that I have it, she couldn't care less. My dad was amused that I had a "fun" gun that had no practical purpose whatsoever and I'd just be spending my money blasting ammo. He had no problem with it (that's what the .22 is for, after all) but he just thought it was funny.

Then we got to discussing SHTF/TEOTWAWKI when New Orleans occurred and he declared that he would be screwed if looters/a rioting mob came to our neighborhood because all he has are bolt-action rifles, a couple handguns, and a couple boxes of ammo in each caliber, total. Then I quietly replied, "I've got an AK-47 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo. I think I'd be better off." That's about the time he started considering a CCW, but knowing him he'll never actually do anything towards getting one and forget about it until the next disaster.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:12:27 PM EDT
My dad alway supported me in shooting and hunting. I never got to go with him though. I wish he was still around so we could go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:16:17 PM EDT
I have NO problem with people who don't like guns or don't want to be around them, as long as they don't have a problem with ME owning them.
Top Top