Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:07:47 AM EDT
I am now done with my training and am an 11B (Infantryman).  That is all cool and groovy but I'm extremely upset that I got stuck in Korea with no chance in hell of seeing any action in the War on Terror...

I feel like I just wasted three years of my life, and the worst part about it is that the three years starts now.  I can't have any weapons or anything like that here and life is just crappy.  I am pissed at the Army (Korea would have been my dead last choice) while several people in my basic training platoon specifically requested it and they will all be in Iraq within 2 months.

I guess I will just play video games for the next year until they army moves the the hell out of here and to the next shithole.  I can't believe that I got stuck in the only brigade that isn't deploying to Iraq at some point (hasn't yet...no plans to).  Life's peachy.  Anyone considering enlisting to do your part...you have been warned.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:23:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Korea is not so bad...

Go visit the DMZ and the Korean war mueseum outside the gate at Yongsan and you will see why you are here.

Where are you stationed ?

I'm here at Osan...be sure to pay us a visit, we just got a new Chili's restraunt on base.
Their is a bus line that runs from most of the Army bases through here...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am now done with my training and am an 11B (Infantryman).  That is all cool and groovy but I'm extremely upset that I got stuck in Korea with no chance in hell of seeing any action in the War on Terror...

I feel like I just wasted three years of my life, and the worst part about it is that the three years starts now.  I can't have any weapons or anything like that here and life is just crappy.  I am pissed at the Army (Korea would have been my dead last choice) while several people in my basic training platoon specifically requested it and they will all be in Iraq within 2 months.

I guess I will just play video games for the next year until they army moves the the hell out of here and to the next shithole.  I can't believe that I got stuck in the only brigade that isn't deploying to Iraq at some point (hasn't yet...no plans to).  Life's peachy.  Anyone considering enlisting to do your part...you have been warned.

Thats life in the Army... Should have gotten a better assignment in your contract.. Airborne, Ranger Batt, something...

Korea you will spend all your time in the field anyway.. Preparing.... Better to train for a year at your job, then deploy, then to just deploy as a green private straight out of basic....

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 Anyone considering enlisting to do your part...you have been warned.

Warned about what? That the Army will send you where it needs you, regardless of whether you want to go or not? If you couldn't figure that out on your own, you probably never should have joined the Army.

Here is a thorough warning for anyone considering joining any branch of the military:

You are volunteering for service in the military. You are NOT signing up for us to serve you. The decision to join the military is a noble one, but don't come in confused about what is going to happen. You are going where we send you. If that is where you want to go, great, everybody wins. If not, you are shit outta luck. Suck it up and drive on.

It sucks that you got Korea when you wanted to go to Iraq. However, your attitude is going to be your downfall. You just landed in about 10,000 combined years of infantry experience. Take advantage of it and learn what you can. If you leave Korea without a maxed APFT and all the knowledge you can get, it is your fault. Learn everything you can from the guys there. Get your PFT scores as high as they can go if they aren't there already, and start working on getting yourself out of there.

The military is full of disappointment for those that expect to get everything they want, when they want it. Don't let this set you back, and don't let it turn you off of the Army. If you are motivated and keep yourself squared away, you can get alot done while you are in Korea.

Get yourself a copy of this book:www.specialops.org/news.asp#book

If they don't sell it in the PX over there, IM me and I'll mail you a copy. If you follow the steps there, drop the attitude and get youself locked on, you will be out of Korea and on to better things.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
First: Thank you for your service sir. Although you obviously feel left out of the action, that area of the world needs you.

Second: There are twenty guys on this board that will have methods for you to get reassigned to the two way range if that’s where you wanna be. Consider this a free bump until they see this thread.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I joined the Army to kill people and all I got was this stupid bowl of kimchi?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You are volunteering for service in the military. You are NOT signing up for us to serve you. The decision to join the military is a noble one, but don't come in confused about what is going to happen. You are going where we send you. If that is where you want to go, great, everybody wins. If not, you are shit outta luck. Suck it up and drive on.

+1 that's the truth with any branch.

Attitude is everything, might as well make the best of it and learn all you can..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Suck it up for a little bit.
Do what you're assigned for now to the best of your ability.
There's always a way to work the system to get what you really want
especially at such an early stage.
I'm sure some of the ground pounders will be along shortly to give you a few
tips.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for serving. Make the most if it, Your still supporting your country and the troops by being there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I keep telling people, it is a bad time to enlist.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Try to find some bush bunnies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Go away
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I was very gung ho when I was 20 and enlisted, I served 7 years combined, army and most national guard, as 11b, and less than a year in the navy, and I was in during panama and desert storm and war avoided me in every way and like you I really wanted to do my share and was frustrated I could make it over there to serve.
I've been attempting to obtain a medical waiver from navy discharge to re enlist since june '04 so I can serve in the war on terror, the waiver finally was approved and I re enlisted 2 weeks ago into a national guard armored cavalry unit in a 11b sniper platoon, and God willing that should make for a deployment and I just turned 40. Point being your situation is whatever you make it, the war on terror is going to be fought for years, and I'd doubt they'd really turn down a request to trasnfer and serve in iraq for your 3 year enlistment. Even if they did, re enlist and then serve wherever. I waited almost 20 years for some action and at 40 I might finally have a realistic opportunity.
Good fortune on your enlistment and just be patient and make the best of your time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:39:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Do you do anything on this board except act like a defeatist pussy and try to discourage real men from doing what they want to do?

I've said it to you before and I'm sure I'll say it again before you are eventually banned. If you are the kind of person who thinks that now is a bad time to enlist, you have no place in the military, now or ever.

The military is not a travel agency, nor is it a long term adventure camp. It is not there to pay for your tuition and it does not exist to give you a safe place to go. Our military exists for the sole purpose of going to war, here or abroad.

If you are unwilling or afraid to go to war, stay out of the military. If you are already in the military, get the fuck out.If you never joined, good. We didn't miss you.

Who the fuck are you? Are you now, or have you ever been, in the military?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#15]
01 Apr  LV Seoul Incheon Int  1200  Delta Flt #7863
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
01 Apr  LV Seoul Incheon Int  1200  Delta Flt #7863

Headed to Incheon on 05 April...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Do you do anything on this board except act like a defeatist pussy and try to discourage real men from doing what they want to do?

I've said it to you before and I'm sure I'll say it again before you are eventually banned. If you are the kind of person who thinks that now is a bad time to enlist, you have no place in the military, now or ever.

The military is not a travel agency, nor is it a long term adventure camp. It is not there to pay for your tuition and it does not exist to give you a safe place to go. Our military exists for the sole purpose of going to war, here or abroad.

If you are unwilling or afraid to go to war, stay out of the military. If you are already in the military, get the fuck out.If you never joined, good. We didn't miss you.

Who the fuck are you? Are you now, or have you ever been, in the military?

Well said joker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Gut reaction is to tell you to wash the sand out o yo snatch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#19]
From 1976 until 1989 I trained and prepared for the great war with the Evil Empire.  The bastards forfeited the game.

My war was DESERT SHIELD / DESERT STORM.  Might as well have been a combination of EX BOLD EAGLE with EX REFORGER with an NTC rotation then throwing in some old school JRTC humanitarian missions.

From 1991 to 1996 it was "Wag the Dog" as Clinton gutted the Army.

They also serve who wait.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:15:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Gut reaction is to tell you to wash the sand out o yo snatch.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA..........
Never understood why people who enlist in the service complained about doing what they wanted to do. You signed the dotted line,the Army put you were they wanted to. So nobody told you that you belong to the Army now?
Thanks for serving but you need to grow a pair and get over it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That is all cool and groovy but I'm extremely upset that I got stuck in Korea with no chance in hell of seeing any action in the War on Terror...

Remember that in two years when you're pinned down by Chicom machine gun fire in the -20F bitter cold.  Where do you think we're going after the Iranian issue is settled.

On a serious note, thank you for your service.  You have a golden opportunity to absorb a tremendous amount of information/training.  Americans have been kicking ass around the world for a long time.  Your time may come sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for your service.  Don't worry, you will be needed in Iran and/or Syria shortly.  After that, probably back to Korea -- the north side.  Until then, you should be happy that your presence in SK is serving an important and noble purpose right now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
You didn't Enlist for 3 years, you Enlisted for EIGHT YEARS.
That is all.

Look at the bright side of things, at least you are not cleaning shitters all day long....

Thanks for your service!!

Edit to add:
My Dad was one of the Marines of the 1st Marine Regiment who defended Korea from the commies.
Chosin Reservoir.

You are a part of that tradition.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#24]

I can't have any weapons or anything like that here and life is just crappy.

You are 11B and you are getting no weapons?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#25]
20 years ago I wound up on a very small base in Germany
I mean small McKee Barracks the name of the town was Crailsheim
Most Germans that I encounter never even heard of the town
Luckily I didn't stay very long
Do your job well and plea your case perhaps you can get transferred
Don't screw up or you wont stand a chance of getting any favors

The Slavery of a Soldier is worse than that of a Negro - Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No personal weapons.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Be careful what you wish for.  Think of how many guys in the sandbox who think kimchi and mama-sans aren't such a bad idea right now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Ha-ha!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#29]
DUDE!!!

Don’t you understand?

You are just to the south of a frickin nuclear armed madman who’s ruling a nation on the brink of starvation. I hope to God that you do have a boring three years of doing nothing, but I wouldn’t count on it. You may well be seeing a whole hell of a lot more action than you ever counted on.

Do you have any idea just how serious the Korean situation is? The Army has seen fit to put you right in one of the most critical and dangerous spots. Sure, you won’t get the fun of chasing some bomb making terrorists around, but you may get the fun of actually facing a professional army in a battle the US might well loose.

So if I were you I would cut the bitchin and get to training. Read about some of the stuff that happened in the Korean war, Keep your ass in top shape.(Long retreats are a bitch) Memorize the terrain so if you get separated from your unit during the fighting you have some chance of finding your way back to our lines.

You are likely to see SHTFx10 sometime in the next three years so you need to be prepared.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Korea is not so bad...

Go visit the DMZ and the Korean war mueseum outside the gate at Yongsan and you will see why you are here.

I'm here at Osan...be sure to pay us a visit, we just got a new Chili's restraunt on base.

I was at Osan 87-89.  Loved it there.

You would be surprised how fast a year can go.  Two weeks to in-process, two weeks to out-process, one month on mid-tour and you are only actually there for 10 months.  

Visit the DMZ, go party in Itewon or on Texas street in Pusan, go take a dip at Bugok hot springs, take full advantage of the shopping in Nam-dae-mun, MWR tours are great, lots to do in the Land of the Morning Calm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#31]
As an 11B, you shouldnt be over in Korea for more than 13 months, so ensure your follow on assignment is with a division deployed in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Another way of looking at it is that having competent and qualified soldiers in places like Korea is what allows the army to send other to Iraq.  You ARE contributing to the war in Iraq and the general war on terror by ANY service in the army.  For every 1 person on the front line shooting at terrorists and insurgents, lots of other people are needed to make that possible.  The service of those is no less valuable, whether they are sitting on the DMZ in Korea, or maintaining helicopters in Kuwait.

Of course it sucks to not get what you wanted.  Twice in the army I nearly lost my assignments - once they tried to move me from infantry to mortars, and once I ended up in a medic platoon in a staff company, instead of the infantry platoon I wanted and had trained for. Play the cards you are dealt - by being the best at what you do, your chances of eventually getting what you want are much higher.

Plus - remember the reason you are there.  Next week, you could be in a shooting war, liberating North Koreans and driving towards Pyongpong (or whatever it's called).  The all the grunts in Iraq will WISH they were in Korea, fighting a war where the enemy is much more obvious, and the people are actually happy to be liberated.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
As an 11B, you shouldnt be over in Korea for more than 13 months, so ensure your follow on assignment is with a division deployed in Iraq.

Yup, and you have 13 months to first realize that you didn't learn shit in basic and AIT, and then learn all you can from those who are there with you who have learned a whole lot of lessons the hard way.

Then next year go kick some ass.

And if somehow you manage to make it through 3 years witout deploying, I can promise you that as soon as you begin your reserve commitment you will be transferred to a unit that is about to deploy and sent to the sandbox.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#34]
So ruck up and volunteer for Ranger training.  Look into the WO flight program.  Talk to your platoon sergeant about going airborne.

The point is, stop whining like a bitch that you don't like where you're at and do something to change it.  If you want to do something else then  think about what your long term goal is and in the mean time move towards that goal (even if that requires patience) instead of posting on the internet about how sorry you feel for yourself.

Sorry, you don't get any pity from me.  I've been in the Marine Corps for the last seven and a half years and while I haven't always liked what was happening around me I never lost focus of what I wanted to make happen in the grand scheme of things.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#35]
PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE.

For anyone, anyone in uniform, its not a matter of if we go into combat, its a matter of when.  So, the question is, will you be ready?  You have been blessed with a year to be the highest speed troop you can be.  You get to go to grad school.

1) Know your AO, and study potential AOs (Syria, Iran, FSU, Africa.)  This would be a fulltime three years of study.  Start learning Korean, and start studying the habits of Korean culture.  If this gets boring, pick a language, buy the tapes, books, etc. and write it off on your taxes.

2) Know your job.  The Army gave base level training in your position.  Know FM 7-8 like the back of your hand.  Learn comms and advanced first aid.  If you have time, swing by the Engineering Batt.  Look at the structure of a A team.  Everyone is good grunt.  What makes them "Special" is their agility, especially their mental agility.  Pick a 11B task (land nav, for example) and be THE fucking Subject Matter Expert in the Battalion.

3) Fitness.  Run, swim, lift and run some more.

4) Find good officers and NCOs.  Emulate them.  See what they have in common and develop your leadership style.  Ask for help, and they will develop you.

5) Take up Go.

6) See the countryside.  Do you know how many Americans haven't been west of California, let alone Hawaii?  You're pretty privledged.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Bunch of kids, no one knows what a bush bunny is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#38]
korean 'poon is AWESOME! i havent had a korean in 5 years. consider yourself lucky if you score one.  and dont think that just cause youre posted in korea, doesnt mean shit wont change and youll be shipped where the action is
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't think of a Korea assignment as BS. People die there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#40]
lol i told you so man you should have listened to me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

And if somehow you manage to make it through 3 years witout deploying, I can promise you that as soon as you begin your reserve commitment you will be transferred to a unit that is about to deploy and sent to the sandbox.

Amen.  Ain't that the truth... either TPU/cross-level or IRR !!!  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#43]
When I left the 101st  in the mid 90's, most Soldiers that were PCSing were going to Korea. Is the reverse also true?
 You are Infantry. It is already assumed that you are not happy unless you are bitchin'. That being said you have to make the best of where you are. When you PCS, the possibility of you going to a unit with recent combat experience is pretty gerat so don't sell yourself short. Take advantage of your current situation and get your green assed shit together so you wont be behind the power curve when you arrive.
You need to know your fire team leaders job and your squad leaders job and you are well served by knowing your platoon sergeant job as well. You have a lot of learning to do and by doing so, you demostrate leadership and initiative. Which is what Mother Army wants in her grunts.
Know your CTT tasks, 22-5, 22-100 etc, and you will be on the road to promotion.
Plus, with a little luck and if Supreme 6 looks kindly upn you, you might have a Screaming Eagle patch on both shoulder before too long.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for your service!  If you are in any length of time you will get over here.  Just how it goes.  Hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Korea is not so bad...

Camp Casey
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats life in the Army... Should have gotten a better assignment in your contract.. Airborne, Ranger Batt, something...

Korea you will spend all your time in the field anyway.. Preparing.... Better to train for a year at your job, then deploy, then to just deploy as a green private straight out of basic....

I had airborne in my contract, I dropped it after I got a mechanized infantry assignment...the guy that I arrived with and was rooming with through inprocessing just got out of airborne school...airborne units are full apparently.  1/4 of the guys that had airborne in my basic training platoon got an airborne assignment, the rest got mechanized infantry assignments.  The only airborne unit that was taking anyone from our company was 173rd BDE, the SF contract guys were told by their sort of "advisor" that if they failed their training the 82nd wasn't taking people at the moment and they would probably be mechanized infantry...(needs of the army is usually mech.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Anyone considering enlisting to do your part...you have been warned.

Warned about what? That the Army will send you where it needs you, regardless of whether you want to go or not? If you couldn't figure that out on your own, you probably never should have joined the Army.

Here is a thorough warning for anyone considering joining any branch of the military:

It sucks that you got Korea when you wanted to go to Iraq. However, your attitude is going to be your downfall. You just landed in about 10,000 combined years of infantry experience. Take advantage of it and learn what you can. If you leave Korea without a maxed APFT and all the knowledge you can get, it is your fault. Learn everything you can from the guys there. Get your PFT scores as high as they can go if they aren't there already, and start working on getting yourself out of there.

The military is full of disappointment for those that expect to get everything they want, when they want it. Don't let this set you back, and don't let it turn you off of the Army. If you are motivated and keep yourself squared away, you can get alot done while you are in Korea.

Get yourself a copy of this book:www.specialops.org/news.asp#book

If they don't sell it in the PX over there, IM me and I'll mail you a copy. If you follow the steps there, drop the attitude and get youself locked on, you will be out of Korea and on to better things.

Bad choice of words on my part...I figured that with only 1 BDE out of dozens left in Korea...I wouldn't get that ONE Infantry BDE...obviously I was mistaken.  There is only 1 battalion worth of infantry left in this country.  My odds were less than 1% of getting this assignment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I can't have any weapons or anything like that here and life is just crappy.

Hehe, I meant personal weapons...we use a mixture of M16s and M4s...I haven't been assigned to one as of yet but I expect to within a few days (or an MG who knows)...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I like Kimchi, yummy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
korean 'poon is AWESOME! i havent had a korean in 5 years. consider yourself lucky if you score one.  and dont think that just cause youre posted in korea, doesnt mean shit wont change and youll be shipped where the action is

I've got a GF back in the states that I plan on staying with...I've been with her 3 years and I would never cheat on her or vice versa.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top