Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:10:22 PM EDT
..passively.  It's a 2004 WJ with a lift, winch, mud tires, etc.  Kind of a bolt on WJ.  

There is a gal, single, middle aged, etc...  My wife and I have both told her is isn't a commuter, isn't a reliable vehicle to use every day, isn't what she should buy as an only car, etc. etc. etc. 

She is dropping a check off tomorrow.  We feel bad I guess, but if she really wants to buy it......

Do you draw the line and refuse to sell it?  It seems like this is a grown person, if that is what they want, it's what they want, but it really isn't what they should buy.

?????
??
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
CSB
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Clear conscious she might have a mechanical boyfriend or a son she doesn't want to get far.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Myob
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You warned her, she will figure it out.  As was said before she might have a boyfriend or husband that is a mechanic
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you warned the buyer about it.

Cash the check and don't give it a second thought.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a Wrangler, not a Smart car, she should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have very few rules, but one of them is Never sell a used car to a friend
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You did more than enough advising her. If she wants it, what happens with it is on her. 

In my area, it seems half the Wranglers drivers are trying to project an image. There are no real trails to off road on near me but you see a bunch them lifted, KO2 tires, aftermarket rims, LED light bars, etc. Never seen dirt except the 20 yards to a picnic spot at a park.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Grand Cherokee.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
pics?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have very few rules, but one of them is Never sell a used car to a friend
View Quote
She is maybe an acquaintance....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure to get a cashier's check not a personal check.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you warned the buyer about it.

Cash the check and don't give it a second thought.
View Quote
Call all these items out in bill of sale OP mentioned,  as is where is, no warranty expressed or implied.

Give her the name of a good mechanic or 4x4 shop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are selling it for $8500 and it needs wheel hubs, U joints, has death wobble, dead dash, a heatercore fogging the windows and coolant disappearing  you are fucking her hard.

If you are selling it for $3500 she should expect to need a mini sledge, torch, air compressor, cutoff wheels and a 10,000 piece tool set.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't have a conscience when selling used POS vehicles. The last Tacoma I had was beat to crap and falling apart at 250k, sold it to some Hispanic guy who drove 3 hours to come get it for $3400. He asked me several times if I thought it would make the 3 hour trip back, told him sure, as long as he put a quart of transmission fluid in it every 50 miles, had several other issues as well. 

Not my problem once I have the cash. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
pics?
View Quote
craigslist

This is the ad.  I am selling it to her for under $5k, which I think is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Are Jeeps considered unreliable as a brand of Chrysler? I always see amazing looking Jeeps for sale and wonder why in the hell would they sell that? Must be something other than their amazing capabilities.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are Jeeps considered unreliable as a brand of Chrysler? I always see amazing looking Jeeps for sale and wonder why in the hell would they sell that? Must be something other than their amazing capabilities.
View Quote
I have sold a few. Everything form what you see in that ad to a full linked buggy.  

We bought this one stock as a bridge to get the boys old enough to ride in a SxS.  I added a few things, but now they are old enough and I don't drive it.

I don't think jeeps are unreliable at all, or at least I put them on the same level as everything else, but it isn't a new car either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I know lots of country girls that would want to buy that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Gingers do not have souls.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fail
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Just do an "AS IS, AS SOLD, NO WARRANTIES IMPLIED OR GIVEN" on the bill of sale. Make two copies, each of you signs both, done. 

If you told her about it, you did your part.

Maybe SHE'S the mechanic. Funny that everyone discounts the fact that there are plenty of women that turn wrenches too. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most jeep driver's have to trade in for newer models. I got a 2012 2 year's ago for  $22,000 with 34,000 miles. Brand new tires hard top loaded cause the girl that had it wanted a 4 door. I beat the hell out of it on the farm.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Picture of jeep ? !??!?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe SHE'S the mechanic. Funny that everyone discounts the fact that there are plenty of women that turn wrenches too. 
View Quote
Well, I agree, people don't give females credit sometimes, but we know this lady.. She doesn't work on things.  She is single, recently divorced.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]

My buddy's 16 year old daughter daily drives the black one. '98 with a long arm lift and 33's, hasn't stranded her yet. She also does a pretty good job of wheeling it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't refuse a sale but you did warn her.

I was selling a beat up Oldsmobile Bravada that I ragged to shit and a guy came to look at it and straight up asked me if I would trust it on a long drive because he goes out of state a lot. My exact words were, "absolutely not. This needs a lot of work before I'd drive it on a long trip."

He bought it anyway and tried to drive to South Carolina the next week. It didn't make it. Called me bitching and I had to hurt his feelings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Why no miles listed in the CL ad? That's like my #1 pet peeve when looking at used vehicles. I know mileage isn't everything but come on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why no miles listed in the CL ad? That's like my #1 pet peeve when looking at used vehicles. I know mileage isn't everything but come on.
View Quote
Never noticed that.  Not sure.  Maybe I overlooked the section. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Why isn't it reliable?

A 4.0 liter with Dana axles ought to be pretty bullet-proof.

Did you fux-up the mod installs?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why isn't it reliable?

A 4.0 liter with Dana axles ought to be pretty bullet-proof.
View Quote
WJs/ZJs are mechanically reliable but always seem to have electrical gremlins especially concerning body and interior electrical.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#32]
People will buy what they want despite all advice to the contrary.

This was proven to me time and time again when I worked as a technician.

If you honestly represented the vehicle, then you shouldn't feel bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Were you honest?  If so, good sell!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck that.

She'll be up your ass when it breaks down, "acquaintance" or not she's your old ladies BFF in her mind.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG-0078-247750.jpg

My buddy's 16 year old daughter daily drives the black one. '98 with a long arm lift and 33's, hasn't stranded her yet. She also does a pretty good job of wheeling it.
View Quote
A late ZJ is more reliable than an early WJ for sure.  Especially if the ZJ has a 4.0 and the WJ has a V8.  The WJ's still weren't all that bad tho.  OP's WJ is not bad at all, and these ZJ's rock
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just do an "AS IS, AS SOLD, NO WARRANTIES IMPLIED OR GIVEN" on the bill of sale. Make two copies, each of you signs both, done. 

If you told her about it, you did your part.

View Quote
I already met both of them...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I feel like the being acquaintances part could cause some tension if the Jeep gives her more problems than she thought.

But it seems like you did your part in trying to fend her off. She's an adult after all
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You warned her, she will figure it out.  As was said before she might have a boyfriend or husband that is a mechanic
View Quote
This....and she has a vagina, so, she has the tool to find a fella with the tools to work on it. Sold
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I sold my Baja bug on Ebay to a guy in the midwest.

It was basically an offroad vehicle that happened to have license plates. Had horrible road manners, no creature comforts and plenty of squeaks and rattles. Was also not even close to being air/weather tight and had no heat. It also was caged and had racing seats and 4 point belts. Street driving a car with those things is kind of a pain. The ad was very descriptive as to what the car was and wasn't.

Guy wanted it as a daily. I tried to warn him that it was utterly unsuitable for those things. He bought it anyway (I got good money for it too).

He sent me an email a few weeks after the car was delivered and bitched about everything that I had warned him about. Luckily this was in the early days of Ebay so I didn't have the worries that I would today about him getting his money refunded and being able to keep the car too.

And then there was the asshat who wound up with my old truck. Dude was like 40 and his dad had purchased the truck to "help him out" and get his own car back from his son. I suspect he was a tweeker or had some poor lifestyle issue. He called me about a week after I sold his dad the truck and complained about every little thing (truck was over 20 years old and had over 250k on it). Said he would be satisfied if I met him somewhere and gave him 1/2 the money that his dad had paid for it. If I didn't, he would be forced to take "other measures".

Given that I had never met the son, he called my throwaway google number and the truck was registered at my old address, I wasn't too worried. I just laughed and forgot about it. Funny thing is, that was 3 years ago and I still see the truck around on occasion, guess it wasn't too big of a POS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dumbass  it's not a wrangler.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Why don't people put the vehicle mileage in the ads?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#43]
How much is the jeep? Never mind asked and answered.

OP, How hot is she?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Sweet ... wife and I are looking for a WJ right now.

Has to have the HO V8 as the daughter and son in law just bought one with a standard V8.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Has to have the HO V8 as the daughter and son in law just bought one with a standard V8.
View Quote
They are fun and comfortable, but I went with the I6 for simplicity and longevity. Sometimes I wish it had more power...
Wife's...

I still like mine though... 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Make sure you have a bill of sale and specifically states "sold as-is, no warranty"...or similar wording.

Other than that, who the fuck cares. Sell it to them, and let it be their problem. You get your money, they get a Jeep...win-win
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Everyone's first Jeep breaks, don't worry about it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Several years back I sold a Fox bodied Mustang hatch to a young (my age I guess) lady and her husband.

I described in great detail every flaw it had, every modification it had, threw in expensive parts (MSD Digital 6 ignition), and knocked $800 off my original asking price.

The car was definitely a project car.  Although I drove it nearly every day I told them both, especially her, under no uncertain terms, that I wholeheartedly did not think it was ready for primetime.

I had a small fortune tied up in the piece of shit.  I was taking a major ass skinning.  

They had driven from nearly 3hrs away.

They both liked it.  They both got to ride in the car.  The deal was done.

30mins later my Mom asked me if she saw me coming down the interstate.  Said I had to be driving at least 100mph. When she was headed north on the opposite side she had to double-check if it was me or not.

So after about an hour passed the woman called me and she was irate.  She told me "WE have a problem.  This car is leaking fluid from the rearend".  I explained to her very calmly that no, WE didn't have a problem.  She had a problem.  I firmly believe I probably had a little too much gear oil in the diff when I regeared it.  And since she had driven like Dale Sr. down the interstate it likely foamed the fluid and it blew out of the vent tube.

Yeah, yeah.  CSB.

Moral of the story is...pepper your angus.  She will likely tear the shit up and you will have to hear about it.  I don't sell to friends or acquaintances.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
This one has an HO.

Check's in the bank waiting to clear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I sold a CJ7 Jeep one time. The guy that bought it, came up from MS. I like about 80 miles away in TN. It had a lift kit, off road shocks, over sized Wrangler RT's on it, and a 305 V8.

He go there about 9pm. I asked him if he want to drive it. He said no, I have always wanted one of these.

So he gives me cash, I sign the title over to him, and off him and a buddy go.

About 1 hr later I get a call.....

He says rides a little rough don't it....

I say yep it's made for off road....

He's says if you keep 100 bucks, will you take it back?

I answer and say.....sure..... and think to my self..... Easiest 100 bucks I ever made......

You can't fix stupid.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top