Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 1:51:01 PM EDT
I have no experience, I do have a college degree, I am 30 years old and I am excellent physical shape.  I have excellent vision, but as far as hearing goes, isn't that great.  My left ear has constant tinnitus and I have a hard time picking up high pitched sound.  My right ear is fine but due to all of the shooting I have done over the years it isn't the best either.

I haven't been formally tested, but I would venture that I have lost close to 40% in my left ear and 10% in my right.

Do you all think I have the deck stacked against me?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:02:19 PM EDT
NOOOOOOOOOO

Save yourself, don't do it!

Kid­ding.

You should be OK I would think.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:22:39 PM EDT
I don't recall having to pass any hearing tests to get my job. VSP or larger agencies may be different. I feel like I have some hearing loss, but the VA says I don't Probably because they don't want to pay!

Definitely go for it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:15:04 PM EDT
Our hearing tests aren't that rigorous, we have had former artillery guys pass it and get hired.  You oughtta come ride with us sometime...I'm going back to the street next month after being a desk jockey for a couple years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:18:52 PM EDT
You should be good to go for the most part.  Some of the state and federal level agencies might give you a hearing test though.  Should be ok for local and county level agencies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:25:18 PM EDT
But are you super cereal?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:51:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
Our hearing tests aren't that rigorous, we have had former artillery guys pass it and get hired.  You oughtta come ride with us sometime...I'm going back to the street next month after being a desk jockey for a couple years.

CALEA did you in? lol Congrats.

Oh, and about the artillery comment!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:52:01 AM EDT
Hey, I was an engineer...my idea of a good time was playing "hey y'all watch this..." with C4.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:41:51 PM EDT
I know AZ DPS has to go through a hearing test and if you dont pass it, you have to go pay out of your own pocket to get your self tested again.

Trust me, just did it 2 months ago, but hey i got hired.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:18:10 PM EDT
My sisters son will be attending the academy soon. He had to take a physical which involved a hearing test. He failed the test, and had to take something called criteria II. He failed that test. He had to get fitted for a hearing aid. He put it on, and passed that test. His hearing problem did not hold him back. If it's what you want to do, go for it!
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:34:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SORT308:
My sisters son will be attending the academy soon. He had to take a physical which involved a hearing test. He failed the test, and had to take something called criteria II. He failed that test. He had to get fitted for a hearing aid. He put it on, and passed that test. His hearing problem did not hold him back. If it's what you want to do, go for it!

I think we would call him a nephew
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2008 3:50:31 AM EDT by SORT308]
+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:45:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
Hey, I was an engineer...my idea of a good time was playing "hey y'all watch this..." with C4.

Hey just browsing through, but as a former 12B I have to concur- no one does "Hey ya'll watch this" better than engineers.
Top Top