Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2006 8:13:29 PM EDT
OK, so last weekend I helped do a weapons orientation for some deploying units.

Had to be ready to roll at 0415.

No problem, I had my gear ready and by the door 6 hours before that.

But about 0345 my stomache started doing somersaults and without being graphic I was stuck in the bathroom for 20 minutes convinced I would still be there when my ride showed up.

So what does the military do when that happens to a guy in basic for instance? They are famous for giving you 2 minutes to get your business done. If you need to have your ass on the line in 60 seconds and it is still engaged in other business what happens?

Funny enough that is all that was going through my mind at the time.

Is it treated the same as if you were sick and throwing up? Does that even get you excused? Or do they come and get you whether you are done or not?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, so last weekend I helped do a weapons orientation for some deploying units.

Had to be ready to roll at 0415.

No problem, I had my gear ready and by the door 6 hours before that.

But about 0345 my stomache started doing somersaults and without being graphic I was stuck in the bathroom for 20 minutes convinced I would still be there when my ride showed up.

So what does the military do when that happens to a guy in basic for instance? They are famous for giving you 2 minutes to get your business done. If you need to have your ass on the line in 60 seconds and it is still engaged in other business what happens?

Funny enough that is all that was going through my mind at the time.

Is it treated the same as if you were sick and throwing up? Does that even get you excused? Or do they come and get you whether you are done or not?

I don't know... but I hope there's "some" give when it comes to stuff like that...

I don't think I've had a solid shit in 4 months... I constantly have the runs, and most to the point where I can't hardly wipe my ass...

Glad someone asked that question, it's been wondering around in my head for quite some time too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My good friend said that when he was at infantry school, he was getting yelled at and PT'd, and the urge hit him.  He said it was bad enough that he interupted his drill seargent and told him he had to go... to which his DS said "you got mudbutt, son?  double time to the latrine!"

Dunno.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Happened to me in Iraq, coming out of both ends.  It was going through our whole team.  When it first started the medic thought it was the Iraqi crud.  Later discovered it was food poisoning.  Some pre-made sandwiches they were giving us were actually moldy I guess.  Anyway, we just covered each others shifts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
In basic we got the brief that if you have not gone in 3 days let somebody know. I guess that sometimes not going is just as big a problem as going. Too much stress I guess. I had to go the first night but some of my flight mates could not go for days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
army food and mre's seal you up.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
In basic, I and many of the other guys in my flight didn't shit for over a week when we first got there. I think I was both too busy to shit, and so active that I burned up most of the food that I was taking in.

That being said, constant or severe diarrhea an/or constipation was pretty much a ticket to the hospital. They want to know about stuff like that in case a bug is going around and puts the whole squadron out of commission.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Builds character.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it ever came up while I was in training, but I saw it a few times in the fleet.

Guys coming in to the BAs complaining of vomiting or the runs would be told to have a seat, and would be quietly watched while they sat for about an hour. If they didn't get up and run out, ask to use the head, or puke/shit in the middle of the clinic, they were presumed to be faking and were sent back to work.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Need to have some Immodium AD pills handy
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Where do you think the saying "get your shit together" came from?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
army food and mre's seal you up.

I notice that when we break them out after hurricanes. Kinda nice actually.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Need to have some Immodium AD pills handy

I did a couple shots of pepto but you'd never know it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the shits at Edson Range looong ago.  You were not allowed to run, but only do the "Range Walk", which was just short of a run.  I JUST made it to the head.  Beyond that, if you can't make your appointed place of duty, you better let someone know beforehand, be covered, and your butt better be at sickbay when they open the door.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
in your case they would have sent you to sick call. its like an infirmary where you tell the docs whats wrong and they write up perscriptions and duty limitations to show your supervisor. very efficient, actually.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Sick Call is your friend in basic when you get the runnin grunts.

It really sucks when it hits you in the middle of something important like grenade qualification though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top