Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:19:08 PM EDT
Just picked up a G21SF.

I knew I didn't want an Ambi catch from the get go, but it is what it is, and I liked the idea of the SF,

Right from the start the thing is a big PITA to operate. I looked at it and could tell it was flimsy and not well thought out.

I have only had the thing a day and it already has stopped reliably retaining mags. Every seventh or eighth operation, it gets hung in the release position unless I manually push it back to the center.

I am a big Glock fan, I have never run into any problems with any of my Glocks except that the G36es tend to FTE, my old one included.

I have been wanting a G21SF for awhile, but I certainly am not going to trust my life to this crap. If they don't make a G21SF w/o the ambi catch, I guess I will have to consider a standard G21 (not ideal, as I have bitch hands) or just stick with my G30SF.

This sucks. I was all excited, too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Why mess with perfection?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Why mess with perfection?

They should have stuck to that motto.

They went and screwed up a good thing.

Shortening the back strap was a good idea.  No reason they had to sacrifice function.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my G21SF with the standard mag release 3 weeks ago.  Why didn't you get the standard mag release version??  

BTW:  It functions perfectly.

ETA:  I think there is a fix to make yours into a single side mag release..... Check Glocktalk
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ambi safety from the get go, but it is what it is, and I liked the idea of the SF,

w/o the ambi safety,

Wait whut?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics?

Too bad they didn't go to a USP style mag release.  That's one of the truly outstanding things HK has developed.

FWIW, I'm righty (w/pistols) but playing around with my Glocks left-handed, I find the mag release is as easy or easier to manipulate with my left middle finger.  Don't see the point of the ambi.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I must be missing it.  Where's the ambidextrous safety?  Only thing I see ambi is the mag release.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

standard safety 3 weeks ago.

standard safety version??

single side safety.....

You too.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Putting a safety on a glock is like giving the mona lisa breast implants.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know the SF had a safety.  I was only aware of the ambi-mag release and different grip.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry guys.

Edited to say catch.

Posting while frustrated can result in brain farts, befare.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the SF I love it . Dont give up on it yet. You can sand down the release that you dont use easy enough. You wont even know its there once you do so. Just take your time doing it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I haf the SF I love it . Dont give up on it yet. You cant sand down the realease that you dont use easy enough. You wont even know its there once you do so. Just take your time doing it.

Did that already, but that doesn't help the problem of it sticking.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I didn't know the SF had a safety.  I was only aware of the ambi-mag release and different grip.

Mine doesn't have a safety-just an ambi mag release..

I loved the release on the P99 (the Walther-for some reason the S&W felt different)
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a mother fucker to eject a loaded mag from it. So empty the mag first  Or you coulda got the standard version.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It is a mother fucker to eject a loaded mag from it. So empty the mag first
Or you coulda got the standard version.

I didn't know there was a standard version but I sure as hell am going to sell this POS off and get one if there is one to be had.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Or, Glock could hire an engineer that isn't a complete fucking retard.

Every other firearms manufacturer can figure it out, I don't know why they can't.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a mother fucker to eject a loaded mag from it. So empty the mag first  Or you coulda got the standard version.

Every other firearms manufacturer can figure it out, I don't know why they can't.

Or, Micah could be the only person in the world with that problem
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny...no problems here inserting or removing a loaded 15rd mag from my G19, i'm doing it right now just to make sure I didn't forget that it wouldn't eject a full mag and I was right!!

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Putting a safety on a glock is like giving the mona lisa breast implants.

I'm not saying glocks should have safeties... but whats wrong with Mona Lisa having bigger knockers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not a retard.

I have found others with this problem.

I have been carrying and shooting Glocks exclusively for years.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought my 21sf without the ambi mag release and has the regular glock rail not the cheese grater one.

love it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not, and they still don't have a 22 with a function ambi mag release.
Eugene.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting. I've had my G21SF for about two years now and have over 2000 rounds through it. I haven't had any problems with the ambi mag release.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not a retard.

No, your not a retard, I think Glock blew it with the stupid malfuntioning ambi mag release.   Your only sin was to buy one and not know that you didn't have to get it that way.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not a retard.

Lol, no one thinks you're a retard.  But you coulda done a little research first to find out there are different versions
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eugene.

Could be a good thing that you didn't wanna marry ashley, cause she's now a dead woman walkin
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I have no issues with the ambi mag catch.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one that I carry often and have had no problems with the ambi, mine is about the way you would want, stiff.  Replace the spring, or the whole catch.   Too good a gun to trash because of that.  Mine is excellent in every regard.  Just like a claw hammer, not flashy but reliable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eugene.

Could be a good thing that you didn't wanna marry ashley, cause she's now a dead woman walkin

It wasn't her fault, it's programmed in her phone that way.  Though, she did warn me you didn't like it.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It wasn't her fault, it's programmed in her phone that way.  Though, she did warn me you didn't like it.

Oh now that's just fucked up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone know the factory model number for a 21sf with a standard mag release?

I can't actually find one for sale anywhere, but a few people have said they have them.

Does anyone have a link to one?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#32]
No issues with my ambi 21sf.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#33]
There are three vesions of the 21SF

Ambi-mag catch / Picatinny rail

Ambi-mag catch / Glock rail

Standard mag catch / Glock rail

Sounds like you want this:  Glock 21 SF/GR

"There is no manufacturer number per say. The designation would be Glock 21 SF/GR.
This would stand for G21 SF option with Glock rail option, and no ambi mag release.
MB is the code for Ambi mag release, and PR is the code for Pic Rail version.
The SF is still a 21. The label on my 21 shows model 21 SF/MB/GR with 3 High cap LE.
That is the codes Glock uses. The G21 SF is not a different pistol, it is just a G21 with some options.
Glock is going to an option system rather than completely different pistols.
The molds they use for the manufacture or their frames have inserts for the options.
When the SF is chosen an insert is placed in the mold to reduce the grip.
The same for the Pic rail and Glock rail versions. This is a simple cost effective way to produce the pistols frames."

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I love glocks. Don't have a 21SF. The only thing i wish was different from the base glock model is the crappy plastic sights. Thankfully the steel night sights are worlds better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#35]
No problems with mine.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Left handed magazine catches = suck on pistols. I'm left handed and don't mind using the normal right handed catch.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Left handed magazine catches = suck on pistols. I'm left handed and don't mind using the normal right handed catch.

Umm no.

Try an XD(m), they have a real, usable ambi magazine release.

Or, try a Beretta as they also have a real ambi magazine release.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm no.

Try an XD(m), they have a real, usable ambi magazine release.

Or, try a Beretta as they also have a real ambi magazine release.

The mag release on the Glock works just as well left handed as it does right. I've actually caught myself using my right middle finger to dump mags. But it'll never be the HK ambi release. That was as close to perfect as I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You're a lefty eh?  I never would have guessed.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine doesn't have a safety-just an ambi mag release..

I loved the release on the P99 (the Walther-for some reason the S&W felt different)

I must say I love the one on my SW99. It was the only pistol I owned for years. I actually got used to dropping the mag with my trigger finger instead of my thumb. I got mag changes on that one down pretty well. I've picked up a sig, a g19 and 1911 in the last couple of months and I've still got to get used to moving my hand around enough to hit the mag release.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've yet to see a 21SF.  Pics of the mag catch?

I just took some with my phone for ya, as soon as they hit my email, I'll post em.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#43]
in before the
comments

and i still love my G19 and hating my G22 somewhat now

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#45]
call glock
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just picked up a G21SF.

I knew I didn't want an Ambi catch from the get go, but it is what it is, and I liked the idea of the SF,

Right from the start the thing is a big PITA to operate. I looked at it and could tell it was flimsy and not well thought out.

I have only had the thing a day and it already has stopped reliably retaining mags. Every seventh or eighth operation, it gets hung in the release position unless I manually push it back to the center.

I am a big Glock fan, I have never run into any problems with any of my Glocks except that the G36es tend to FTE, my old one included.

I have been wanting a G21SF for awhile, but I certainly am not going to trust my life to this crap. If they don't make a G21SF w/o the ambi catch, I guess I will have to consider a standard G21 (not ideal, as I have bitch hands) or just stick with my G30SF.

This sucks. I was all excited, too.

My 21SF has the regular mag release.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dan_Gray, thanks.
Looks like a normal mag release, though I'm sure it's completely different on the inside.  Sucks that it well...sucks.

LC, I'd sell it off and get yourself a used G21.  I love mine.

Pics coming of the inside. It's HK style, notch in the front of the Mag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#49]
As you can see, their is a center cut HK style notch. It also has the old style side notch for use with old G21s and G30s

Bad light, but as you can see their is a steel bar that protrudes from the frame. Activating the mag release folds that bar inward. Because it also comes EVER so slightly up, it's hard to release loaded mags. Still works just fine in my eyes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for clearing the weapon and not putting a bullet through your hand Dan, noticed there was a round in the chamber in your first pic.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top