I have a few big trips planned for this winter and picked up a new rig today:

Burton Triumph
SL-7 boots

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anybody here snowboard?

]

What is it about snow boarders that makes them seek out the crest of a hill, go JUST beyond it, and then sit down out of sight so that when REAL skiiers come along, they gotta dodge them like rubbish in the road?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody here snowboard?

]

What is it about snow boarders that makes them seek out the crest of a hill, go JUST beyond it, and then sit down out of sight so that when REAL skiiers come along, they gotta dodge them like rubbish in the road?

I'll put you down as "no"
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Snowboarding ROCKS. Skiing is for pussies. I trust I make myself clear ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey NoVa, where do you go snowboarding at? I normally hit Liberty up during the season.

Of course I've also hit a couple japanese tourists when they stopped directly in front of me not giving me any reaction time whatsoever....whoops
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
OH HECK YAH!!! cant friggin wait!

triumph is good all mountain board.

I got all new setup last year.. Ride Nation 161 midwide, Ride Team bindings, and Burton Hail boots... im very happy with my gear.

I agree.. snowboarders for the most part are rude, pick the worst places to stop, and are very inconsistant in their riding skill.

imho the main problem is.. you can take on a steeper hill with less practice on a snowboard than with skiis.  So what you get is inexperienced people who should be on the bunny slope, riding down the more advanced runs.

I ski as well as snowboard and despise riding here in so cali at a few resorts.. i just slalom boarders all day long.  But i have also seen cocky skiiers who wine about snowboards messing up the slopes just to watch them do the same thing.

(fyi I work for a high end sporting goods store, mostly in the camping dept but moonlight in the ski/snowboard dept.)

my board, and the skiis I ride.(atomic betaride R:11.20)  the skiis friggin OWN!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate the fact that parents let their 5 or 6 yr old just ski  right down the middle of the halfpipe when there are us snowboarders waitin to make a run down it and the parents see us and say nothing

For god sakes it says Snowboard park on the terrain map for a reason!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been and it's pretty slick (NPI) I grew up here in CO and all I ever did until recently was downhill skiing.... I might be a convert
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
its hard as hell your first time
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I hate the fact that parents let their 5 or 6 yr old just ski  right down the middle of the halfpipe when there are us snowboarders waitin to make a run down it and the parents see us and say nothing

Tell ya what - you stay in the ditches, and leave the rest of the mountain for people who actually use it, and don't sit in the middle of the friggen slope.

I promise not to enter your little ditch area.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell ya what - you stay in the ditches, and leave the rest of the mountain for people who actually use it, and don't sit in the middle of the friggen slope.

I promise not to enter your little ditch area.

get some twin tips.. then you can do the half pipe!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I board. Im sure that you are gonna like that new ride. Burton boards ride the best IMHO.

here's what I ride:  Burton T6

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I board. Im sure that you are gonna like that new ride. Burton boards ride the best IMHO.

here's what I ride:  Burton T6

img.epinions.com/images/opti/37/73/pr-Snowboards-Burton_T6_Snowboard_BUR0065.jpg

burtons are a piece of crap... JUST KIDDING!  lol i was thinkin about getting the vapor just to do it.
of all the burtons i like the customx the best.

Ride snowboards handle my style better tho.. they have higher weight ratings on their boards than burton, and im a big guy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody here snowboard?

]

In my case you get just beyond the crest of a hill and sit down so I can strap my other binding on.  I don't stop short of the crest cause it's hard as hell to get moving if both your feet are in the bindings.  I don't stop at the crest for the same reason.

that being said I always stop off to the side to strap the other side on.

I can't WAIT to go snowboarding.  I'm stoked.  I started last year after years of skiing and I am HOOKED>
I just got a new K2 board. I gotta get the K2 bindings. i'm riding old school Tech 9's.  it's hard to find bindings for me cause I have a size 15 boot.  

I love it and can't wait.

Anyone know any good deals on season tickets in utah? I don't wanna pay almost a grand for a ticket.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anyone know any good deals on season tickets in utah? I don't wanna pay almost a grand for a ticket.

enroll in a commumity college ot get the student ID.  Then your Season tix will be only about $100-300 depending on what mountain you like.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Alta got dusted on the 12th...  can't wait!

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#17]
learned at crested butte a few years ago, on a green morrow master that was dubbed "the pickle" by the 40-50 guys who had learned on it.

haven't had a chance to do it again, and my bud who lived there just moved to korea, so i think this winter is out.

back to skydiving, i suppose.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I board but I haven't been for the past 2 seasons.  Being in VA, we ususally take a 3 or 4 day trip to Snowshoe WV (best snow in the east south of NYC).

I've got a Burton Floater with Custom Freestyle bindings and Burton Work boots.

My wife skis.

The average person will learn to snowboard much faster than they will learn to ski.  I can't ski, but why would I want to now that I snowboard?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#19]
doubletap
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I worked at Park City Mountain Resort last season, can't wait for this season to start.

Remember the big avalanche at The Canyons last season?  Well here's a photo I took of the gate you have to pass through to get to where the avalance occured.  Given the snow fall patterns early last season no one in their right mind should have been riding Utah's backcounty.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey NoVa, where do you go snowboarding at? I normally hit Liberty up during the season.

Of course I've also hit a couple japanese tourists when they stopped directly in front of me not giving me any reaction time whatsoever....whoops

I'll be making 2 Utah trips, (park city mountain) but I'd like to hit Liberty/Basye/Snowshoe a few times too
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Steamboat over Christmas break, and then possibly either Lake Tahoe or overseas to Switzerland for spring break!

BTW, I ski.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top