Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2002 6:45:35 PM EDT
Posted with the permission of the author, I am on Mr Worden's mail list

Feedback? Sorry if this is a repost, without the Search Feature, I'm almost lost.

Gwen in L.A.

To: Carl F. Worden
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 9:09 AM
Subject: THAT .308 SHELL CASING

Ladies & gentlemen:

The authorities announced this morning that the shell casing found in the rental truck that was seized in VA was not a .223 and was therefore eliminated as being associated with the Beltway Sniper.

HOLD IT!!!

For years I have predicted that a .308 shell casing loaded with a .223 sabot round would make an untraceable sniper bullet for urban use.

What is a sabot round?  It is a plastic sleeve that wraps around a .223 bullet, thus protecting the bullet from coming into contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel's rifling.  The outside measurement of the sleeve is .308, so it loads into a .308 shell casing perfectly, while encompassing the .223 bullet.  When the bullet leaves the barrel, the sleeve splits apart and falls away, leaving the .223 bullet on its flight path to the target, unmarked by any ballistic rifling marks that can be traced back to the rifle.  Oh, and by the by:  It is an extremely accurate load that can be fired in short, scoped pistols like the TC Contender.  If stopped and checked, the gun would be found chambered for the .308 and not the .223 everybody is looking for.

Food for thought for the truly thoughtful.

Carl F. Worden
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top