Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:49:33 AM EDT
$14.99 from Circuit Shitty, Best Bye wants $16.99.  Both are giving cheap ass freebies with the DVD.  CC gives you lithographs and BB gives you  a comic book.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the pricing info, I'm going after work.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have errands to run tomorrow - this is on the list. I saw it in theaters and was blown away.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw it yesterday.  Good movie, but the colors were really screwing with my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm saving watching the DVD until this weekend's home theater major feature.  Now I'm watching regular tv: Military and History channel, and the special features stuff from Firefly
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought everyone said it sucked?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Who's everyone?

It was one of my favorite movies over the last year.  I loved the stylization and the way the story was told.

It's actually the only movie I can stand to see Elijah Wood act in (Non speaking role, HAH!)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's actually the only movie I can stand to see Elijah Wood act in (Non speaking role, HAH!)

That's the first thing I said to my brother when I saw him, actually.  I saw him apper on screen and said, "If he talks, it'll ruin the entire thing."

That creepy friggin' smile.....*shudder*
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Snagged it myself today. I'll post up a review (of the DVD) after the weekend.

Bomber

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Great movie, and yes, Elijah Wood is creepy as hell in it.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Got it too.  The DVD doesn't have shit for bonus features (which I am pissed about) but the movie rules.  Can't wait for Sin City 2.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Got it too.  The DVD doesn't have shit for bonus features (which I am pissed about) but the movie rules.  Can't wait for Sin City 2.

Yeah, I just watched my copy tonight. What's the deal with that?? You know there has to be tons of cool stuff they could've put on the DVD. I may have to protest the release of a "Special Edition" months down the road for not even giving us a taste of extras.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

$14.99 from Circuit Shitty, Best Bye wants $16.99.  Both are giving cheap ass freebies with the DVD.  CC gives you lithographs and BB gives you  a comic book.

Wally Mart every Tues

New Releases are usually $14-16 , Sin City was $14.57  .

Now I don't do it , but I know another DVD collector
like myself that gets his at China Mart . Only he keeps
the receipt and if a special edition comes out in 90 days or so .
He will return the DVD for credit against the new one .
He say's they never question it .

I thought about it , but I hate standing on line to return
anything , so I just sell the regular version to a local
thrift shop for $5 and buy the special edition .
It works out to be around the same price as if  I went and
saw it at a theatre before buying it .
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Havent seen it yet I cant wait untill my mom sends it to me

AAFES wanted $19.99
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the cooler characters I have seen in a movie in a long while:

ETA: At some point, they will release a version with the complete Josh Hartnet scenes (the hits in the beginning and end of the movie), and some other scenes. When, who knows?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a Mickey Rourke fan but, he nailed Marv.....I'm gonna have to snag it this weekend
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought and  watched this movie tonight. Great film. Lots of gore/gun play and cool/different photography styles. Really a cool movie overall. The story doesn't give you anytime to relax. Seems to go from one intense scene to another. Good flick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Just saw it last night too.  WOW!  Pretty graphic movie!

Questions:

- Who was Josh Hartnett playing?  I know he was a hitman, but who hired him for what?
- Who was the girl killed in the opening sequence (by JH) and why was she killed?
- Why did the Cardinal/Bishop (Ruger Houer) want Goldie killed in the first place - I didn't see it or missed it (watched this with my wife last night - hard watching a movie with her questions and commentary going on....).

Definitly have to watch it again, this time alone and difinitely not something for the kids to watch.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I watched it last night too, I loved it.  Lots of gory scenes.  Loved the .45 auto slide stuck in the dude's forehead.  Miho is wicked with the sword.

Only thing that was troubling was it was three distinct but interrelated stories.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just saw it last night too.  WOW!  Pretty graphic movie!

Questions:

- Who was Josh Hartnett playing?  I know he was a hitman, but who hired him for what?
- Who was the girl killed in the opening sequence (by JH) and why was she killed?
- Why did the Cardinal/Bishop (Ruger Houer) want Goldie killed in the first place - I didn't see it or missed it (watched this with my wife last night - hard watching a movie with her questions and commentary going on....).

Definitly have to watch it again, this time alone and difinitely not something for the kids to watch.

Merlin

#1 and 2 - I think they show Josh Hartnett at the beginning killing an unkown woman for an unknown reason is so people who payed attention in the beginning will understand the ending. That way they don't have to show him off Becky, he just offers her a cigarette and the movie cuts out.

#3 - Goldie was servicing the clergy and knew about the other girls' disappearances.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
They also killed off Goldie to set up Marv.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, that helps, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I rented and watched it last night. I didn't think I would like it, but now I'm gonna have to pick up a copy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Blockbuster says that they mailed it to me on Friday. I should have it in hand Monday night.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Rented it last night, it blew me away.  I think I'm going to watch it again tonight; this is a definate must have movie.

Anyone else notice that all the .45's were from Springfield Armory?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I rented it last week. A five day rental. I think I watched it everyday.

Best damned movie I've seen in a very long time!

I took it as Josh Hartnet's character was just a psycho serial killer on the loose inject into the story to bring it full circle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I took it as Josh Hartnet's character was just a psycho serial killer on the loose inject into the story to bring it full circle.

He's supposed to be a paid assassin, I think.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's supposed to be a paid assassin, I think.

Hmmm....obviously I'm going to have to watch it several more times....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, the first girl he offs was running from something/somebody and he was the one hired to track her down and take her out. And at the end, the ladies had hired him to kill the traitor that almost lost them their autonomy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yeah, the first girl he offs was running from something/somebody and he was the one hired to track her down and take her out. And at the end, the ladies had hired him to kill the traitor that almost lost them their autonomy.

Ahhh...that makes sense.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I loved the movie, but I think I am going to wait for the special edition DVD.

My favorite story line was the Clive Owen one. And Rosario Dawson was so hot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Good plan. I wish I would've known they weren't going to put ANY extras on the DVD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My favorite story line was the Clive Owen one. And Rosario Dawson was so hot.

Yes she was.

But if I had a parole officer like Marv's I'd be in and out of trouble too. YumYum!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Sin City has great style - dialogue and visuals. Just watched it a second time tonight, but with subtitles turned on. (Learned that watching Deadwood. Talk about great dialogue...)

Partial dialogue from first scene:
"What is it you see in my eyes? I see a crazy calm. You're sick of running. You're ready to face what you have to face. But you don't want to face it alone. No, I don't want to face it alone".

"I tell her I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning."

I think she hired the hitman. But I agree the ladies hired him for the ending scene.

Thanks, I owe you one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Sin City has great style - dialogue and visuals. Just watched it a second time tonight, but with subtitles turned on. (Learned that watching Deadwood. Talk about great dialogue...)

Partial dialogue from first scene:
"What is it you see in my eyes? I see a crazy calm. You're sick of running. You're ready to face what you have to face. But you don't want to face it alone. No, I don't want to face it alone".

"I tell her I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning."

I think she hired the hitman. But I agree the ladies hired him for the ending scene.

Thanks, I owe you one.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, interesting! No, I owe you one!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I really liked Sin City, I heard many mixed reviews about the movie.  It was entertaining, l liked the black and white, the actors, story were good.  Hot chicks!!!
The Marv character was a hoot,  who would not want him as a friend, especially during natural disasters.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Going into the movie I was really scared I was going to watch another Dick Tracy with the visual style they were trying to get across.  That alone might be why I enjoyed it so much.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Just watched it. Man, I had very low expectations for this movie despite all the positive hype. I just couldn't fathom how they'd successfully pull of the comic book "feel"/

Man was I wrong.

- Mickey Rourke was awesome for this movie. Normally I don't think much of him.
- Jessica Alba... she's about as fine as a woman can be.
- Great tit shots in this movie.
- Milldly predictable but still had some "HOLY SHIT" scenes.
- The look, sound, and "feel" of the entire movie was perfect.
- Elijah Wood's character was pretty freaky. He put a thrashing on Marv... but got it in the end.

Mayes me wish I had my DVD burner up and running and had the latest copies of DVD Clone and Any DVD so I could "back it up". Definitely worth having in a collection.

ETA: I wonder if Springfield Armory got free advertisement or if they had to pay for their product placement.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm thinking S.A. got  free advertising.

Take a look at Gladys, Marv's pistol.

S.A. in big letters on the slide. S.A. markings on the frame.

Prancy Pony grips!!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to stray from the topic a little, but...

Does anybody else notice how Marv (Micky Rourke) killed the Cardinal (Rutger Hauer) in the same manner in which Rutger Hauer killed Tyrell (Rutger Hauer’s creator) in Blade Runner?

I have a copy of the non director’s cut of Blade Runner on VHS and goddamn it is disturbing when he mashes in that guy’s eyes and crushes his skull with his hands.

Great movie. I'll have to buy it soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Check out the "action figures".

The Bruce Willis one is probably the most impressive... it's dead on.

Quoted:
I have a copy of the non director’s cut of Blade Runner on VHS and goddamn it is disturbing when he mashes in that guy’s eyes and crushes his skull with his hands.

Did they show that in more detail in the Director's Cut? I only remember him pushing in on his eyes until they started gushing blood and that was about it.

Cool connection though. Never would have thought of that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#41]
How on earth could Elijah Wood ever get the upper hand against Marv?  Marv is about twice his size.

No, I haven't seen the movie.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
How on earth could Elijah Wood ever get the upper hand against Marv?  Marv is about twice his size.

No, I haven't seen the movie.

David and Goliath comes to mind.
If you haven't seen it you definitely need to now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Never have I seen such a vicious little Hobbit!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#44]
The line, "I'm the designated driver", is Sig Line material.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Check out the "action figures".

images.entertainmentearth.com//AUTOIMAGES/NC33200Clg.jpg
The Bruce Willis one is probably the most impressive... it's dead on.

images.entertainmentearth.com//AUTOIMAGES/NC33260Alg.jpg

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The line, "I'm the designated driver", is Sig Line material.

I'm rather partial to "I like hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad."  

Or "...I'm about as expert as a Palsy victim doing brain surgery with a pipe wrench."
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Did they show that in more detail in the Director's Cut? I only remember him pushing in on his eyes until they started gushing blood and that was about it.

Cool connection though. Never would have thought of that.

They toned it down for the director's cut oddly enough. The original is a bit more graphic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Only thing that was troubling was it was three distinct but interrelated stories.

The guest director was Quentin Tarantino.  He really shouldn't repeat himself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guest director was Quentin Tarantino.  He really shouldn't repeat himself.

He only directed that one scene where the guy has the slide in his head.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, I thought it sucked......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top