Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2012 6:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 6:11:22 PM EDT by AssaultRifler]
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/02/cigarettes-for-3-a-pack/

BOSTON (CBS) – A growing number of smokers have found a way to get cigarettes for a small fraction of what they used to pay because they’re not paying most of the taxes.
Is it legal?

It depends on who you ask.

A two ounce bag of tobacco that sells for $5.95 can make approximately 40 cigarettes.

And that is what many smokers doing these days.

They buy the loose tobacco at a growing number of corner stores and then head for the back of the store.

State Senator James Timilty [democrap] is the Chairman of the State Revenue Committee on Beacon Hill.

He says, "It’s a willful attempt to evade the tax that is in Massachusetts.”

"We should shut them down.”

"I think the Attorney General and the Department of Revenue have the tools!”

"It is a constitutional issue when it comes right down to it, taxes have to be enforced uniformly throughout the Commonwealth.”

<snip>

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:20:02 PM EDT
Tax evasion? Are you farking kidding me? Our government at all levels is just out of control.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:22:41 PM EDT
Or they could do like Texas and increase the tax on pouch tobacco by 1500% in a single legislative session.

Yeah.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 6:23:46 PM EDT by Ragin_Cajun]
The rest of the country should adopt an amendment stating that Massholes can no longer have "The Spirit of America" on their license plates.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:25:12 PM EDT
People are finding ways to avoid taxes?! Unpossible!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:25:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ragin_Cajun:
The rest of the country should adopt an amendment stating that Massholes can no longer have "The Spirit of America" on their license plates.

But it is. America's spirit is raped, broken, and left for dead on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:26:12 PM EDT
Cigarette smokers aren't allowed to use tax loopholes like the rest of society?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:26:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MshakeMO:
Tax evasion? Are you farking kidding me? Our government at all levels is just out of control.

Isn't it amusing how not paying taxes on shit that isn't taxed, or choosing an option that carries a lower tax is now equated with willful, criminal tax evasion?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 6:27:48 PM EDT by bjkb1f]
But they look the other way when Sarah Jessica Parker's twin, John motherfucking horse face Kerry does it with his boat. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:32:23 PM EDT
so, when do they start throwing Tobacco into the Harbor????

THIS is the Attidude of the Progressive, liberalism hasnt a thing to do with it...

this SOB Senator would see smokers buying loose tobacco on the gallows..

we need to stop this type before the the drive ins begins filling up..

VOTE YOUR ASSES OFF IN NOVEMBER

CHEF
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:36:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BikerTrashXx4:

Back in History class I do think I remember reading about some guys dressed in Indian camo throwing something into some waterway saying enough is enough. I could be wrong though. I am pretty sure that was in an unedited US History Book many years ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:39:02 PM EDT
I roll my own. Gambler. 3 oz. 8 bucks. That reporter has it wrong, 2 oz makes alot more then 40 smokes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:39:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MshakeMO:

yes it is
vote Ron Paul
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:40:44 PM EDT
Poll fail!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:40:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BikerTrashXx4:

is that against the law now - no
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:41:09 PM EDT
My buddy goes them even one better; he grows his own tobacco.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:42:40 PM EDT
Fuck anyone who pushes a damn "sin" tax on tobacco.
If it weren't for tobacco this nation would not be where it is today.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:43:16 PM EDT
Wait for it with gasoline next...

All the .gov "mandates" for higher mileage vehicles means LESS fuel sales and LESS fuel taxes. People with better mileage cars pay less in fuel taxes.

GPS "use" systems on cars will be next so that they can tax you by the mile instead of by the gallon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:43:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/02/cigarettes-for-3-a-pack/

BOSTON (CBS) – A growing number of smokers have found a way to get cigarettes for a small fraction of what they used to pay because they’re not paying most of the taxes.
Is it legal?

It depends on who you ask.

A two ounce bag of tobacco that sells for $5.95 can make approximately 40 cigarettes.

And that is what many smokers doing these days.

They buy the loose tobacco at a growing number of corner stores and then head for the back of the store.

State Senator James Timilty [democrap] is the Chairman of the State Revenue Committee on Beacon Hill.

He says, "It’s a willful attempt to evade the tax that is in Massachusetts.”

"We should shut them down.”

"I think the Attorney General and the Department of Revenue have the tools!”

"It is a constitutional issue when it comes right down to it, taxes have to be enforced uniformly throughout the Commonwealth.”

<snip>

I got tired of this shit and quit smoking last year. Now they will get ZERO tax revenue from me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:43:58 PM EDT
Just wait until people discover that tobacco is a plant and they can grow their own. There will be swat teams rounding people up
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:45:17 PM EDT
I hope the worthless sack of shit dies from lung cancer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:19:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bjkb1f:
But they look the other way when Sarah Jessica Parker's twin, John motherfucking horse face Kerry does it with his boat. Hmmm.

It's ok. He's a liberal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:23:15 PM EDT
Stuff my own, comes out to $1.10 a pack
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:23:58 PM EDT
Tired of people coming after us smokers!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 7:25:04 PM EDT by waynzwld]
What do you expect, libs steal every penny they "think they are owed"
Come up with a way around them, and boom, more laws to make it illegal.

Oh and by the way, for post 357.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:29:14 PM EDT
what are they going to do if people decide to top smoking?

Force them to smoke so they can get their taxes that are rightfully theirs?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:29:44 PM EDT
But they will, at gunpoint if required.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:32:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 7:38:52 PM EDT by Slopes-2-Shores]
Massachusetts is not representative of the rest of the nation.

-JC

ETA: Former Massholeian.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:44:58 PM EDT
it is immoral to alow stupid people to keep their money , smoking is about as stupid as it get therefor tax the crap out of them
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:05:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
what are they going to do if people decide to top smoking?

Tax chewing gum.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:12:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Wait for it with gasoline next...

All the .gov "mandates" for higher mileage vehicles means LESS fuel sales and LESS fuel taxes. People with better mileage cars pay less in fuel taxes.

GPS "use" systems on cars will be next so that they can tax you by the mile instead of by the gallon.

The "Use" tax won't be INSTEAD of a gas tax... It will be in addition to a gas tax.
Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:12:46 PM EDT
The feds already slapped a $25 a lb tax on it a couple years back (which previously cost about $15 including taxes, which were already significant).

Quality went to shit after they started cutting it different and selling it as pipe tobacco, which is taxed differently.

It makes me laugh and think of the descriptions in 1984 of the shitty cigarettes people had to smoke every time a cinder of tobacco burns my hands.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:14:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Or they could do like Texas and increase the tax on pouch tobacco by 1500% in a single legislative session.

Yeah.

Wow so how much was it before the increase and how much is a package now after the 1500% increase?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:16:37 PM EDT
Next thing you know, those Bostonians will be drinking with untaxed tea leaves!

There's a sad lack of pitch and feathers in our halls of politics these days.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:24:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wtr100:
it is immoral to alow stupid people to keep their money , smoking is about as stupid as it get therefor tax the crap out of them

. GTFO
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:53 AM EDT
Same shit in NYC - Bloomberg is going after them & shutting them down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:18:45 AM EDT
Yeah, I use pouch tobacco sometimes but when I want to be really cheap I use pipe tobacco cured like cigarette tobacco.

Cuts the cost down to a good 1.25 pack for premium imported tobaccos and 50 cents a pack for the shitty shit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:20:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glock63:
Originally Posted By wtr100:

. GTFO

You really don't get it, do you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:44:00 AM EDT
I think its the fact that there are machines in the store that "Manufacture" the cigarettes after they purchase the tobacco that have them all worked up.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:53:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:57:17 AM EDT
Take your taxes and shove them up your ass.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:18:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 1:20:41 AM EDT by hawaiinate]
been in MA less than 24 hours and I'm glad i'll be out of here in less than an hour. fuck this shithole of a state
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:38:22 AM EDT
Glad I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:52:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ambalamps:
I roll my own. Gambler. 3 oz. 8 bucks. That reporter has it wrong, 2 oz makes alot more then 40 smokes.

8oz makes 2.25-2.5 cartons ... 20 + packs. . My cost is $31 per 8oz and about $2.00 a 200 count box of tubes.

It's not about the cash, although it did cut my spending in half, I started to ryo, when everybody went with the firesafe crap.I'm. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, both an increase in loose tobacco taxes and mandating the tube are made "firesafe"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:00:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 3:02:30 AM EDT by Makarov]
Duh! They NEED the tobacco tax revenue to pay for welfare programs so the "entitled" can sell their food stamps for 1/2 face value in order to buy cigarettes It must be so frustrating to be part of the ruling class and trying to explain how the economy works to people who work for a living
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:11:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hawaiinate:
been in MA less than 24 hours and I'm glad i'll be out of here in less than an hour. fuck this shithole of a state

Yeah, every time I get sick of the leeches and career methadone users here, I call some friends in MA. Then I walk outside, piss from my deck, and do a mag dump from my lawn chair. Makes me feel better about Maine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:11:11 AM EDT
They have the prices way off.. I use pipe tobacco to roll my own, a 1lb bag of that is $12.95, a pack of 200 tubes is $2.59. So for about $21 I get about 3 cartons out of it.
The main reason I roll my own is because of the gubment taxing the shit out of them.

If everybody were to quit smoking today, what would the gubment have to tax next to compensate for the money lost.. air?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 3:14:34 AM EDT by E-Mag]

Originally Posted By FeebMaster:
The feds already slapped a $25 a lb tax on it a couple years back (which previously cost about $15 including taxes, which were already significant).

Quality went to shit after they started cutting it different and selling it as pipe tobacco, which is taxed differently.

It makes me laugh and think of the descriptions in 1984 of the shitty cigarettes people had to smoke every time a cinder of tobacco burns my hands.
you are off a bit on the starting point It effectively doubled the price for what I buy

Smokers like Thomas, who save big bucks by rolling their own cigarettes, will take a huge hit when a new federal tobacco tax takes effect April 1. The tax –– which will help fund children's health care –– on a pound of rolling tobacco will jump from $1.09 to $24.78, an increase of about 2,200 percent.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:19:11 AM EDT
I'm also thinking that the machines are the issue,
The store is pretty much producing a product taxed at a higher level, and folks are leaving the store with said item in hand. So pretty much it would be like going to Phillip morris and paying for the tobacco and than having them run it through the machine for you. I could see that raising some eyebrows, hence different tax categories of tobacco products.

Personally, when I do smoke, I roll my own, and I usually mix shag and pipe tobacco 60/40 or 70/30 because I like the way it tastes.

For the most part I dip, and I would just like to give a big fuck you to all that states that have revised their taxes on snuff over the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:23:51 AM EDT
If everybody were to quit smoking today, what would the gubment have to tax next to compensate for the money lost.. air?

They would just tax booze even more.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top