Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
4/18/2021 9:59:29 PM
Posted: 3/28/2017 11:51:35 AM EDT
I have a Lebanese neighbor.  He's been a citizen for 10 years, great guy (and family) who totally wants to be American.  Outstanding neighbor.

A couple of summers ago, he decided he wanted to start barbecuing.  I got him started, gave him some pointers, and then the dude dove right in.  He cooks just about everything on a big Weber charcoal grill.  And I mean everything.  He's way better now than I ever was, with the exception of the slow-cook stuff...he still thinks 5 or 6 hours is a slow cook.

Sometimes the results have been...interesting, when he experiments.  Never bad, exactly, but nothing you'd want seconds of.  Last night, though, he baked bread and mac & cheese on the grill.

I don't know how he went about it, I just had the finished result, but both had just a bit of smokiness to them, nothing overwhelming.  The bread had this perfect, crunchy, smoky, sesame-covered crust and a moist, tasty interior...some of the best bread I've ever eaten.  The mac & cheese was a Bosnian recipe he found on YouTube, 5 cheeses, topped with bacon, parsley, and cilantro...the herbs had actually crisped up...and it was easily the best mac & cheese I've ever had.  And I mean ever.

He's sending me recipes, I'll post them when I get them, but in the meantime...anyone else ever bake bread on a smoker?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:22:30 PM EDT
Subscribed
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:03:51 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subscribed
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:09:59 PM EDT
Love me some Mac and Cheese. Patiently waiting....
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:27:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:17:35 PM EDT
Maybe this is the mac and cheese? Neat video even if it isn't.
The Ultimate Mac and Cheese! - King of Cheese

edit: just read the description of the video. Only 3 cheeses and it is parsley, not cilantro in this one. Whoops
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:37:29 AM EDT
He works different shifts from me, so I don't see him as much as I used to...chatted with him this evening, and forgot to ask...I'll try to remember tomorrow, he's coming over!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:26:34 PM EDT
I think this is the recipe for the mac & cheese:  

The Ultimate Mac and Cheese! - King of Cheese
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:21:35 PM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:29:06 AM EDT
Quoted:
.anyone else ever bake bread on a smoker?
View Quote

I do pizzas on my Weber Kettle with a kettle pizza. That kinda like bread but with better toppings.

I could see it would be easy to do in my wsm. I roast whole chickens in it at 300-350 degs. Full pan of water with the door propped open will maintain that temperature range. Use maybe one small chunk of wood so you don't over smoke a bread.
Top Top