Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 2:06:53 PM EDT
I went today looking for a potential HK91 to add to the safe and ran across a Smith & Wesson 617 10 shot 22. The gun had a nice Leupold setup on it. Do you guys think I should take the plunge? The guy wanted $550 and that seemed a little high. What is the best price you have seen for a new 617?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the best price you have seen for a new 617?
View Quote

I won't buy new S&W. I would offer that until they renounce their agreement with the Feds that you reconsider buying a new S&W product.

Of course you can do as you wish but why reward a company that didn't have the courage to stand up to tyranny.

FWIW
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds about $150-200 too high
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sai, even with the scope?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 617 and it's an excellent .22 revolver.

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/M6171.jpg[/img]

With mount and scope, that's not a bad price for a NIB 617.  The Burris that tops my 617 was about $160 plus $30 for the Leupold mount.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Lougotzz
Sounds like something is possibly wrong with your 617.  With mine, if I do my part, I can put bullets through the same hole at 50 feet.

If I have one complaint, it's that the gun is very heavy.  It's all steel with a full underlug.  That's overkill for .22LR if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
New S&W 617s sell for $440 to $460 at the gun shows in Houston.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Who cares?  You couldn't GIVE me one.

S&W can come out with a Phaser gun tommorrow and when the guy in the gun shop trys to hand it to me, I'll refuse to touch it.

[red][size=5]S&W can burn in Hell before they get any of my money.[/red][/size=5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
SWS, is your 617 a 10 shot?  I want the Plus model.  You have a nice setup there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That's the 6", 10 shot.

I bought it the [b]very week[/b] that S&W signed their treasonous agreement.  Sorry, I didn't know the details - the media just kept talking about "trigger locks". [:(!]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
MK-

Cost and boycotts aside, however you aquire it, it will never fail you. It is quite simply the top rimfire revolver in SA/DA. Mine is the all SS construction with a 6" bbl, and std. 6 shot  cylinder. (I couldn't justify the cost with an alloy aluminum wheel- potentially too soft a metal, and prone to scratches, galling, finish flaws, etc.) It digests and groups well with damn near anything I feed it, and with a 30mm Millet red dot sight topside, delivers the goods handily in tight groups. I'll echo 'the best I've seen' sentiments, and recommend that you get one. Talk the price down; as for buying new, after this week, and after this amount of time, I personally wouldn't feel as though I'm doing anything unethical buying new. All the teeth have been pulled on the original "deal" that S+W brokered, and we have a new administration that won't enforce any of the codiciles therein, anyway.

Best of luck, and Semper Fi.

Arq12
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a similar revolver, the Mdl 17, it is blued and not stainless.  I bought it used for $250, in real nice condition.  The .22LR revolvers are nice, but I still like my Mdl 41.

OSA  
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm with Arquebus12 on this one.

The dumbass executives that made the traitorous agreement have all been canned and only the loyal, hard working American workers that had nothing to do with it remain.  Yeah, the agreement still exists since it would be a political bombshell if the Bush administration let the new owners out of it, but I also heard it was never really enforced anyway.

Besides, if Smith & Wesson DID go under because of this, it would be more of a victory for the anti's than us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top