Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 5:51:43 PM EDT
I went through a months-long process with a painter/tile setter who did some very shoddy and incomplete work on my house, and just won a $5,000 judgement against him in small claims court.  But then the clerk of the court told me that there are four other people in this county alone who have won suits against him, and none of them have collected a penny.  She says the law has no teeth, and he knows it, and that the issue isn't worth pursuing.  Is that true?  It kills me to think the guy will be conning people indefinately with impunity.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
put a lean on him.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut your losses. I know, it sucks.  I've been there and these people know how to work the system.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a lean on his truck everytime that you find it parked. Side cutter meets valve stem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Put a lean on his truck everytime that you find it parked. Side cutter meets valve stem.

I like the way you think.  I want to express some... dissatisfaction... so at least he isn't so smug about ripping me off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the way you think.  I want to express some... dissatisfaction... so at least he isn't so smug about ripping me off.

well, that would do it
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First, I know absolutely zilch about the 'execution' laws of New Hampshire!

But, I would imagine that your state permits the recording of that judgment in the real property records of the County in which this POS resides. This is sometimes called a 'judgment lien', or an 'abtract of judgment lien', or a 'judicial mortgage', depending upon your state's particular language.

If he has a house or other real property, and he decides to sell it some day, the title company may require that he pay off your judgment before they will guarantee title to the property to his buyers!

At least that's the way it would work in Texas!

I know that most New England states permit almost nothing in the way of 'exempt' property, so it may be that you can attempt to seize and sell some of his personal property!

I would imagine, however, that the four judgment creditors ahead of you have all likely tried the same things to collect on their judgments!

With your recorded judgment, and the others, this POS's future would-be customers may at least discover his past misconduct and not contract with him for that reason ..... if they look at the judgment records.

Your situation is much more common than you can probably imagine!

Eric The(BeenThere,DoneThat)Hun

He doesn't have a house, he lives in a "section eight" (subsidized) rental.  He does have a van, and his wife has a cadillac.  

He's a great con artist.  He talked a great story, had me convinced he was a part-time cop among other things.  I paid him a $5,000 deposit in advance, and then he did worse than nothing - I'm still cleaning up the mess he made.  Turns out that he not only isn't a cop, but that he did two years for fraud.  Sounds like impersonating an officer to me, but the local cops don't seem to care.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Find a collection attorney to help you. There might be a way to levy him. Especially if you can find a bank account.

Definitely get the judgment recorded ASAP.

In AZ small claims is not a court of record so the judgment has to be moved to Superior court before it can be recorded.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
never fun to win a "judgment suitable for framing"
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
put a lean on him.

that's a "lien"

random lien webpage
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
put a lean on him.

that's a "lien"

random lien webpage

yeah, i realized that after i posted, and was too lazy to change.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Find a collection attorney to help you. There might be a way to levy him. Especially if you can find a bank account.

Definitely get the judgment recorded ASAP.

In AZ small claims is not a court of record so the judgment has to be moved to Superior court before it can be recorded.

I would tread lightly with a lawyer, as his fees will could potentially wipe out your $5,000. Here in California, they have a contractor's board for licensing contractors, and you may have one in NH, if so lodge a complaint against his license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top