User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 11:55:42 AM EDT
Has anyone have any experience with small business grants?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone have any experience with small business grants?  Patty

grants or loans?

as a female, you'll have no problem getting "subsidized" SBA loans.

You're what they a call a HUB - historically underutilized business.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
So how do I go about getting one?  Some family near to me seriously got a grant to remodel their home.  I would like to know how to tap into some resources.

I'm doing some research and where I'm moving my business too isn't consider a depressed area of Oregon - however there is not any businesses such as mine anywhere near [nearest is Spokane, which is 3 hours away].

Patty
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.  Any links for Grants?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.grants.gov/

Thanks!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.grants.gov/

Thanks!  Patty

Look for the catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance. About twenty bucks at any Government Printing office. It lists everything they give away. If you are a university doing medical research, you are in luck. About half of the book is for you.

As to the rest, there is no free lunch. Matthew Lesko sells more bullshit than Bandini Fertilizers. There just aren't any grants that they will give to people to just go blow on some kind of business idea. Nice dream, but no -- unless you are in some specialized area like building the next laser cannon for the military.

Someone you know got a grant to remodel their home?  I am sorry, but that story just doesn't sound right. The government gives people grants to upgrade their kitchen tile and put in a pool? Under what program was that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I honestly do not know the particulars.  Its just what they said.  They said it was the historical value of the community.  Patty PS Thanks for your info.  I rather suspect that there's no free lunch.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I honestly do not know the particulars.  Its just what they said.  They said it was the historical value of the community.  Patty PS Thanks for your info.  I rather suspect that there's no free lunch.

That sounds more plausible. Unless you had a building designated as historic, or are you building in some really blighted area of downtown, I don't think there is much hope for a grant. The circumstances are rare.

Depending on how serious you are, you should check out Small Business Investment Companies, and venture capitalists. On the west coast there is an organization called TechCoastAngels that brings new business people together with venture capitalists. Of course, it is a lot of damn work to convince them you are worth the investment. They will give you money, but they want a piece of the company in return -- and you better be able to answer hard questions about your ideas.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hum, not really the direction I'm headed.  I have a business, I want to expand it but do not have the capitol to do so.  I'm in the process of getting a small business loan but if there was grant money availalbe, that would be pretty nifty.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hum, not really the direction I'm headed.  I have a business, I want to expand it but do not have the capitol to do so.  I'm in the process of getting a small business loan but if there was grant money availalbe, that would be pretty nifty.  Patty

If you find any small business grants, call me first.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hey patty, I got a Government Grants E-Book from a friend for free, and I still have the installer.

It has some Small Buisness stuff, but ive only seen SBA LOANS, not Grants, but these Loans are supposed to be super-duper low interest.

If you want the installer, email me or PM me, id be willing to send you it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nice dream, but no -- unless you are in some specialized area like building the next laser cannon for the military.

Lesko you say?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the vote of confidence Aimless!  j/k I know how risky small businesses are in.  I hate risks but sometimes you've got to stick your neck out.  I've been doing this particular business for 5 years now.  I turn away more business then I take but of course Murphy Law says all that can change rather quickly.

I'm working on my business plan.  I'll have to run it by those retired folks and see what they think.

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top