Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2001 6:07:46 AM EDT
[size=4]I use MS Internet Explorer and this site runs very fast (as compared to the old site). Yesterday at work I logged on using Netscape Navigator and the place was [b]SLOW[/b]. Came home and logged on (maybe a half hour time lapse) and all was speedy again. Anyone else with similar experiences? If this is standard Netscape performance, it's going to kill my lunch time surfing...[/size=4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Part of the problem may lie with a T1/T3 at work and a dialup at home.

I use Netscape 4.7 (6.0 sucks $hit) and the N (rt corner) action deal actually hangs for many seconds, then the page appears.  Will try at work w/ IE.

I eventually will dump Netscape (AOL sucks $hit) for IE or something else.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't like this software as much as the old system.  The layout is very inefficient, look at all that crap on the LHS of the screen that has to be drawn for each page load.  

with all that crap there, it means you have to scroll more to read as less fits on the screen at one time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I am an Internet Explorer user.  I have used Netscape on other computers in the past (I do have a Netscape email account).  I just couldn't get used to Netscape.  Maybe I am just set in my ways.

Has anyone spent a deal of time with both programs?  What are the advantages of one over the other?

I will be upgrading to an new computer soon, and will like to start at ground zero again.  Just wondering if it would be worth switching over to Netscape?

Thanx

OSA
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
[size=4]Chaingun:
Have a cable setup at home. Work is Netscape 4.7 on NT and the wait is like you describe it... nothing for a long time and then the page blinks up. [/size=4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Same thing here. Netscrape 4.7 freezes hangs up and gives a "not repsonding" message.

I've never just let it sit there for more than minute though. I just close the browser and switch to IE.

I suppose that I should dump Netscrape because of their AOL connection.

Just go to get motivated enough to change all my bookmarks over.

DD  
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=4]Corporate gets all pissy if you mess with their desktops and we have a couple of specialized web applications that I need which are not tested/supported on IE, so I'm stuck with Netscape. Someone in another thread said that it might be this board uses port 1111 and corporate firewalls don't like it. Too technical for me, I couldn't say whether there was any truth to it or not. One thing for sure... I couldn't get a dozen pages open in my lunch hour. I'll have to find somewhere else to surf until (if?) the old board comes back.[:(][/size=4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top