I use Wal Mart connect to connect to the internet, and it would usually connect at 45k. The last month, it has been connecting at 24k. As a result, the internet has been very slow, and I have no idea why its been connecting at such a slow rate. I have downloaded the free net zero account, and it does the same thing. I have tried different phone numbers, and they all do the same thing. I have run spyware, and antivirus programs and nothing shows up. I also tried a different phone cord, and this didnt work either. The computer connects reliably, just at this slower rate. Does anybody have any ideas on where I can be looking?
Let me give some details on the laptop. Its a HP pavilion ze1115. 1.1GHZ AMD Duron processor, 256 MB of ram. I looked around in the Help and Support Center on my computer, and I viewed the error log. There are a lot of errors in this log...here are a few of them. Would any of these cause my problem?
"The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\event s\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error."
That one shows up practically once a day. No idea what it means. Here are a few more.
"Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 6.0.2900.2790, fault address 0x000392ba. "
"Faulting application wwm.exe, version 188.8.131.52, faulting module supersub.dll, version 184.108.40.206, fault address 0x0001b795. "
Any help would be greatly appreciated before I throw the laptop out the second story window.
Before you do that, do this:
Your connection speed is dependant on many things. The two most common are the condition of your modem (is it dying?) and the quality of your landline. If you have a PCMCIA modem card, try swapping it out for a known good card.
If the card is OK, try going outside your house and find the gray box that houses your phone connection. This box is split into 2 sides: one for the telco and one for the customer. On the customer side, which you can access, there is a phone jack with a wire plugged into it. Unplug the wire and plug your modem directly into it. What you have just done is bypass your house wiring. Try to establish a connection.
Speed back to "normal"? Then the problem is in your house wiring.
Speed still sucks? Problem is in the telco wiring. Good luck getting them to fix it.
Oh! Remember to plug the original wire back into the jack or you will not have any home phone service.
try the laptop at a different location. if it connects as the same speed its most likely your ISP.
the other option would be to buy a pcmcia modem and see if it connects any faster.
either way you need to get high speed. dial up is old school
btw the wwm.exe is the walmart connect software i belive you might also try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it
you might also want to check to see if your ram is bad memtest86 is a helpfull program
Well, I went to my dads place, and tried connecting there. Guess what....it was back to a normal speed. Before this problem, I was connecting at 45 K every time, but now its at about 24 K every time. At my dads place I connected two times, once at 49 K, and once at 50 K. So, the problem isnt my computer. Im not too worried about it at this point..I am moving out of here in a month, so I can live with it for that long I suppose. Thanks for the tips!!