Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 3:42:10 PM EDT
Was drawing down on a neighborhood cat yesterday, and – ka-zing! – My EDC slingshot blew up in my face!

Upon inspection, it was determined that one of the surgical rubber slings had deteriorated to the point where it could no longer withstand my marble "magnum" loads. This particular weapon spends most of its time on a slingshot rack in the back window of a pickup, so heat, sunlight, moisture and humidity probably contributed to the failure.

A suitable replacement sling has since been located and installed, and the weapon is now sighted in with the new part. However, I want to prevent premature rubber failure from now on.

So, can anyone recommend a good protectant for surgical rubber?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
was it a glock?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there is a way. I keep a spare "sling" in its package in the house, they don't seem to deteriorate as fast in the package.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was drawing down on a neighborhood cat yesterday, and – ka-zing! – My EDC slingshot blew up in my face!

Upon inspection, it was determined that one of the surgical rubber slings had deteriorated to the point where it could no longer withstand my marble "magnum" loads. This particular weapon spends most of its time on a slingshot rack in the back window of a pickup, so heat, sunlight, moisture and humidity probably contributed to the failure.

A suitable replacement sling has since been located and installed, and the weapon is now sighted in with the new part. However, I want to prevent premature rubber failure from now on.

Perfect solution: glovebox
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perfect solution: glovebox

Yep, and if needed, inside a ziplock in the glove box (keep the air away from it).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you just use a silenced .22?  At least you'll give the cat a clean kill.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you were wearing safety glasses... sounds like a good way to lose an eye.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why don't you just use a silenced .22?  At least you'll give the cat a clean kill.

Well for starters you don't need a special licence for a slingshot. Plus it's cheaper than a silenced 22.

Sometimes the point isn't a "clean kill" sometimes it's a sharp pain in the ass!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well for starters you don't need a special licence for a slingshot. Plus it's cheaper than a silenced 22.

Sometimes the point isn't a "clean kill" sometimes it's a sharp pain in the ass!!!

huh. I was always taught to kill animals humanely with a minimum of pain.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#9]
YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL EVERYTHING!!!! Sheesh, maybe he was just trying to scare the cat away from his yard or something!! Do I have to draw a friggin picture!

What would you do in an airsoft or paintball tournament, use real bullets so everyone could be "killed humanely"?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the orange Laserhawk bands.  They taper (which supposedly gives more power) and seem to last much longer than the cheapo peach colored bands regardless of how I store them.  Just a thought.  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top