Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 8:21:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain, man.  I've had an average of 4 hours sleep a night for the past week, and only one of those short nights was due to "recreational activities".  I'm spending 16-20 hours a day finishing my dissertation, writing 3 conference presentations, finishing the analysis of my data, and generally going crazy.  I'm going to be so happy when this month is over.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, stop procrastinating on this board and get your trash done! [stick]

The jitters, shaking, and nausea are from the caffeine. Stop taking that. It may help you remain awake, but it won't help your concentration. You are trying to concentrate and get a task done. Not just seeing how long you are trying to stay awake.

The biggest thing about getting your work done is willpower. You can remain awake for long periods of time if you only stay focused on your task, and maintain a POSITIVE ATTITUDE. If you think about how tired you are, or how nice it will be to lay down, you've f***ed yourself.

Negative effects from sleep deprivation include decreased immune system efficiency, slower reaction time, inability to concentrate, loss of ability to comprehend and retain.

Try to get at least 6 hours a night of sleep next week during your exams. Then sleep in on the weekend. Also, don't party or anything this week or weekend. Catch up on the sleep you've been missing this week. You'll need it to study.

So to summarize:

-cut out the caffeine
-eat food and drink lots of WATER
-maintain a POSITIVE attitude
-stay focused on the task
-"catch up" on your sleep ASAP

-DON'T pull all-nighters next week during exams

And finally... Pull that ethernet cable out of the wall so you stop procrastinating on message boards, AOL IM, and websites!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a history major, so I don't have to study now.

But back when I was a Mech E. major...

don't stay up all night. You won't get anything done anyway. Your brain won't memorize things. If you're writing a paper it's okay though. But if it's real studying, get some sleep.

Coffee is okay, just not too much. Eat balanced meals, good big breakfasts before ANY test.

Also relax. If I had spent the past 5 hours doing statics problems, it's good to toss on some good quieter music (jazz or traditional irish music for me. Rebel songs work too) and a glass of scotch. Just take a break for half an hour. Really helps.

I'm going to go back to not studying for my exam on Friday. Maybe tomorrow.

Joys of a Liberal Arts major.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with finals all!  I'm not taking them this quarter due to a back injury, but seriously, good luck!!  Finals can really bite, but try not to look at them so seriously.  I always looked forward to them as a chance to show off how much I knew.  Be calm, there's nothing like the feeling you get when you walk into that hall, calm and collected, and serenely sit down and pull out the paper, or perhaps a paperback fiction novel, while everyone else is freaking out to high heaven.  Just relax and make sure that you know what you need to know, and get plenty of sleep.  

I strongly suggest stopping all cramming the day before the tests, and definately no studying on the day of.  Have a fun night before the test, go out, maybe have a drink or two, but no more than that, get home early, and go to sleep.  Get some good excercise if possible the morning of, and stay away from the coffee if you did not study on coffee, but drink some if you studied while drinking coffee.

Relax, and remember, this is a chance for you to show off to your professor, not a horror to just get through.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
DON'T pull all-nighters next week during exams.
View Quote

Good advice. Back when I was an EE student, I discovered that what worked best was getting a few hours sleep before an exam, then spending an hour or so doing a final review right before going in to take it. All-nighters leave you in a semi-alert state that isn't conducive to recalling what you learned 10 minutes ago, let alone during the first week of classes.

I know  it's probably cold comfort, but things could be worse. My dorm cafeteria used to clean out the freezers and fridges during exams, cooking everthing that didn't crawl away under its own power. You haven't really lived until you've taken a P-chem final while fighting off the effects of food poisoning...

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I suffer from a servere case of procrastination, so it makes it all that much harder. I have a final paper due at 3pm tomorrow, i'm going to get on that any minute now, I swear.

Anyone who says ARFCOM isn't addicting, is lying. Its a whole lot easier not to go out and drink than to stay off this damn website. [banghead]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy... here is the deal.

Survive the exams and you get these 5 boxes of Federal .380 ammo I'm looking at....

::Fedgunner wanders off whistling "Candyman"::
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my exams tuedays....i think i passed.....do i get any ammo too?[BD]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had my exams tuedays....i think i passed.....do i get any ammo too?[BD]
View Quote

Nope... Mat has been to my house and is my friend. (not that you couldn't be) I'm always throwing ammo at him. He also puts up with my tale of "in the day".

::chuckles::
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
well it was worth the try.  GOOD LUCK ON THOSE FINALS!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The truly funny thing is the fact that I am actually picturing you whistling that!!!  LMAO!
View Quote

I was.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I am up st 3:30 AM trying to finish a paper on Microsoft anti-trust BS.  

I reccomend you stop the caffeine and start drinking water and maybe take a shower to wake your self up.  All that caffeine will heart your heart.

I never take any of that shit- if I fall assleep sitting up I will wake up soon (when's the last time you slept a whole night sitting upright?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top