Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 9:02:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not bad, we use it over here but with the lag in our satellite based system conversations are slow.... it does require broadband for sure.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
www.broadbandreports.com/forum/voip

There's lots of reviews & comments on SKYPE, Vonage, Packet8, etc... Many of the VOIP carriers have a similar problem, customer service.  They're cheap, great services but if you have a problem be prepared to wait to get ahold of someone.  

You absolutely need a broadband connection for it to work well.  Remember, if your broadband is out, so is your phone so have a cell phone for backup.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I use skype to call relatives in Europe, I have a Linksys cordless USB phone, and it works GREAT.
It's free to any other skype user, and the $10 I put on there to be able to all non-skype users is donw to $6.41 after 3 months now.
Fair to good call quality. I like it!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]
ebay just sent out free "Christmas gifts" of this program with 30 minutes free time on a card, the disc to install it and free earbud w/mic.

If anyone wants the cd/card, let me know, I can mail it to you. I am keeping the earphone.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Skype to talk to people I know outside the US.  I was suprised by how well it works,  I use the free version, but most of them have the pay version.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Skype is free when used computer to computer.   I have it on my  old laptop which has a built in microphone in it. I can talk to my sons who are away at college. It is pretty easy to hook up with them on conference calls when they happen to be surfing the net. It  just rings and they answer. You can text message back and forth and send files as well at the same time.  I also have a cheap webcam which works with the 2.0 version.

I even put it on my inlaws' computer. They live in Florida. Now my wife and her mother can talk to and see each other whenever they want for free. It is like a free video phone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Skype and use the free computer-to-computer connections only. Works fine. I use it to chat with my Dad; he's the only person I know that has it so I can't tell you about the conferencing ability.

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to a newer version to get the webcam support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top