Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2004 5:09:19 AM EDT
Jax the wonger dog was with me all day while cutting fields yesterday and went one on one with a resident "Pepe" when it wandered out of the woods to see what all the noise was about. While Jax was aggresive and did inflict numerous lacerations on the the striped smelly one, she also took a good dose of spray. Needless to say, she spent the night outside last night.

I've heard that douche works well to get rid of the odor----Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard that tomato juice also works well, but is bad for the coloring.  Hope your dog isn't vain about her hair.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the sites seem to agree on this.

home.usachoice.net/vchumanesoc/skunksmell.html

lavplourde.tripod.com/skunk/

Ever doubt your dog's sanity after he has been sprayed by the local skunk for the fourth time this year? A vet once told me that skunk and porcupine chasing dogs fall into two classes:  

Those who learn the first time  

Those who never learn.  

If, like me, you have a type 2 dog, you will be glad to know that this concoction works better than tomato juice (most things do, actually) and doesn't turn white poodles pink. It is used regularly on Cassis, the huge, white, wooly, standard poodle who thinks that Eau de Skunk is a perfume.
Do yourself a favor and don't try to wash the pooch immediately after you find him proudly ponging on the porch. If you leave him to cure in the back yard for a couple of hours, the smell dissipates somewhat. Besides, it gives you time to run to the pharmacy for the hydrogen peroxide.  

Whatever you do, don't bring a freshly skunked pooch into the house! The dog will rub on things and tranfer the smell, then the whole house will smell like a skunk. If you must bring him in, wrap him in something washable until you get to the bathtub.  

Skunk Smell Remover  1 quart   3% Hydrogen Peroxide  
1/4 cup  Baking Soda  
2 tbsp  Dish Detergent. The stuff for washing dishes in the sink, not something for dishwashers.  

Mix the ingredients in a large bowl, because it will boil up like Vesuvius. We are, after all, making an oxygen generator. Wash the dog with this while it is still foaming, because it is the oxygen which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, because it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.  

Sometimes being chased by a dog is not enough to scare a polecat off the property, in which case, mothballs will do the trick.

Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
CRITTERS!.........
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]
www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/belgshp.cfm

She is a Belgian Sheepdog----see above link----kinda worried about the peroxide and her hair. She is an absolutely beautiful dog and an excellent companion.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#5]
2 clicks----sorry
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1/4 cup  Baking Soda  
2 tbsp  Dish Detergent. The stuff for washing dishes in the sink, not something for dishwashers.  

Wouldn't the peroxide bleach the dog?  I am sure that the baking soda would work much better than the tomato juice, but that is awful lot of peroxide.  Just wondering...
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1/4 cup  Baking Soda  

Wouldn't the peroxide bleach the dog?  I am sure that the baking soda would work much better than the tomato juice, but that is awful lot of peroxide.  Just wondering...

Hmm, didn't think of that. The sites don't mention it either way.

I'll keep looking.

Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, I just went through my dog catalogs and found this stuff called Skunk-Off shampoo.  Here's the description:

Skunk-Off Shampoo, 8 oz
Mild, tearless, baby shampoo plus deodorizing components expressly formulated to eliminate skunk odor. Works chemically through bonding, absorption and counteraction.
Stops skunk odor instantly and permanently on contact. Removes all traces of skunk spray from dogs, other pets, people, cloths, cars, homes anybody or anything a skunk has sprayed or anything a skunk-sprayed animal has rubbed against. Safe will not damage or irritate sensitive tissue of eyes, ears or nose. Shampoo is thoroughly applied to the entire animal and then rinsed.

I have no idea whether it really works, but I would rather spend the 6 bucks on that before I bleach my dog or turn her pink.  Maybe a vet would know?
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks MarianLibrarian
! I'm on it. Tractor Supply should carry this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks MarianLibrarian
! I'm on it. Tractor Supply should carry this stuff.

Let us know if this stuff works...our morons (read: dogs) will probably wind up needing it some time in their lives.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully your dog will learn not to mess with skunks now.  My 6 year old yellow lab has been hit what, 4 times?  What the hell, no one ever accused him of being smart  Good luck, thinman.  This stuff worked pretty well on Cuervo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top