Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2005 5:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 5:32:06 PM EDT by crazyhorse705]
god fucking dam it an now there is reports they may have been betrayed.

rest in peace brave marines.

www.cnn.com./2005/WORLD/meast/08/02/iraq.main/index.html
American military death toll in the Iraq war tops 1,800

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Six sniper team members were among seven Marines whose deaths in northwestern Iraq were announced Tuesday by U.S. commanders, bringing the number of American troops killed in the war to more than 1,800.

Five of the snipers died Monday during an insurgent attack on a patrol outside Haditha, according to a Marine Corps news release. The body of a sixth was discovered later a few miles away. All were killed by small-arms fire, the Marines said.

Pentagon officials in Washington said the men were members of Marine sniper teams operating in the Haditha area.

A suicide car bomb killed a seventh Marine the same day about 40 miles away in Hit, the Marine Corps said.

All seven were assigned to Regimental Combat Team 2, part of the 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force.

Their deaths brought the number of U.S. troops who have died in the war to 1,806, according to military reports.

Haditha and Hit are Sunni Arab cities along the Euphrates River about 135 miles and 95 northwest of Baghdad respectively. Both have been the subject of recent efforts by U.S. and Iraqi troops to clear out insurgents.

They are in sprawling Anbar province, which stretches from the western environs of Baghdad to the Syrian, Jordanian and Saudi borders.

The province has been a hotbed of insurgents and jihadists from other Muslim countries since the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in 2003.

and the big thing is here

Seven U.S. Marines killed in Iraq
Death toll passes 1,800; Pentagon fears Iraqi army infiltrated by insurgents

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military said Tuesday that six Marines were killed in action in western Iraq.

The Marines, assigned to Regimental Combat Team-2 of the 2nd Marine Division, died Monday in Haditha, 140 miles northwest of Baghdad.

A seventh Marine was killed by a car bomb in Hit, 50 miles southeast of Haditha in the volatile Euphrates River valley.

The seven fatalities pushed the death toll for Americans since the start of the war past 1,800.

Insurgents posted handbills in Haditha, claiming to have killed 10 U.S. troops and seizing some of their weapons.

At least 1,801 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. At least 1,382 died as a result of hostile action. The figures include five military civilians.

Were killings an inside job?
For U.S. military officials, the deaths of the six Marines killed in action Monday raises an unsettling prospect: that they may have been victims of someone with inside information.

The six were members of two sniper teams, trained to pick off the enemy at a distance, one-by-one, with a single precision shot.

Officials report the sniper teams were working together and in position when they were ambushed by an unknown number of insurgents.

Marines nearby heard the short, heavy burst of enemy gunfire that apparently killed five of the Marine snipers instantly. Evidence indicates the attack came so quickly the Marines were unable to return fire.

The sixth Marine either escaped or was taken prisoner but was later found dead a mile or so from the scene of the attack.

The attack is eerily similar to one in nearby Ramadi more than a year ago, when four Marine snipers were ambushed and killed.

In both cases, it's feared the Marines were betrayed by insurgents who had infiltrated the Iraqi military. In fact, a recent Pentagon report warns that some Iraqi military and police recruits may be insurgent or terrorist infiltrators.

“We need their skills and abilities, so we have to accept some level of risk in having them in the new security forces,” said Jeffrey White, a Pentagon official.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:40:26 PM EDT
Something is up with this deal.

Smells to much like a betrayal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:42:52 PM EDT
We appear to have the same problem we had in Vietnam, where the South Vietnamese Army was saturated with spies. Either that, or we have a fellow in the know who was like that fellow who fragged his officers the first day of the Iraqi invasion, a sympathizer among our ranks, like that former member of this board.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:28 PM EDT
Hunt the fuker down and skin him alive...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

It certainly does!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:45:58 PM EDT
Someone is so frickin' dead and doesn't know it yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 5:51:49 PM EDT by MachinegunManiac]

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
We appear to have the same problem we had in Vietnam, where the South Vietnamese Army was saturated with spies. Either that, or we have a fellow in the know who was like that fellow who fragged his officers the first day of the Iraqi invasion, a sympathizer among our ranks, like that former member of this board.

Are you speaking of that POS muslim that rolled a grenade into the tent and then shot all of those that fled the tent? It wasn't just his officers that he attacked if I remember right.

That's a problem with sniper teams. They're so vulnerable.

Damn ROPers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:53:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:53:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MachinegunManiac:

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Are you speaking of that POS muslim that rolled a grenade into the tent and then shot all of those that fled the tent? It wasn't just his officers that he attacked if I remember right.

That's a problem with sniper teams. They're so vulnerable.

Damn ROPers.

Yes, its possible we have another one, but this one is smarter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:54:58 PM EDT
RIP Devil Dogs
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:10 PM EDT

"...we have to accept some level of risk in having them in the new security forces,” said Jeffrey White, a Pentagon official.

A near perfect encapsulation of why I left the Army. Some chairborne ranger in the Pentagon is deciding that the boys over there "have to accept some level of risk".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:
RIP Devil Dogs
home.houston.rr.com/quijanos/usmcflag.gif

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:01:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By quijanos:
RIP Devil Dogs
home.houston.rr.com/quijanos/usmcflag.gif

+1

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:14:11 PM EDT
RIP
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:22:34 PM EDT
RIP my brothers. Your sacrifice was not in vain.

I don't know what GWB is waiting for to finally set our boys loose on the enemy. He's in his last term and the time has come.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:28:42 PM EDT

Marines nearby heard the short, heavy burst of enemy gunfire that apparently killed five of the Marine snipers instantly. Evidence indicates the attack came so quickly the Marines were unable to return fire.

They didn't even get a chance to take
some of the motherfuckers out first.

RIP Marines, you'll be avenged 20 fold,
I'm sure.

Someone dig up Stalin, because an ol'
fashioned purging is in order.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 7:32:25 PM EDT by SPECTRE]
Seems like three possibilities.
1 - betrayed by Iraqi military members, basically spies.
2 - betrayed by a fellow Marine or other U.S. personnel.
3 - sheer dumb luck by the terrorists.

Regardless of which, this is a sad report.
Justice needs to be swift and sure. WWPD What would Patton do ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:34:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Seems like three possibilities.
1 - betrayed by Iraqi military members, basically spies.
2 - betrayed by a fellow Marine or other U.S. personnel.
3 - sheer dumb luck by the terrorists.

Regardless of which, this is a sad report.
Justice needs to be swift and sure. WWPD What would Patton do ?

From the news reports, it appears your assessment sums it up very well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:39:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:
I don't know what GWB is waiting for to finally set our boys loose on the enemy. He's in his last term

I hate to say it, but don't hold your breath. Since the days following 9/11, GWB's courage has been on the decline. I doubt he'll take stronger action either in Iraq or other mideast countries.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:53:09 PM EDT

Or just somebody guessing that it might be betrayal... at this point I don't think the media is a reliable source of information it is just to early.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:01:04 PM EDT
If I were the enemy, I would be prepared for sniper fire and have counter sniper groups ready - this sounds exactly like what happened. There may not have been any inside leak at all, just common sense.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:02:18 PM EDT

I agree. Killing them soon after would be too nice, torture them then slowly kill them.

ben
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Or just somebody guessing that it might be betrayal... at this point I don't think the media is a reliable source of information it is just to early.

Good point.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:06:42 PM EDT

Good point.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:07:11 PM EDT

Good point.

Very true especially when they throw in the remark about Ramadi. What happened there was nothing like what they believe happening here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:12:36 PM EDT
That's bad news...one third of the platoon gone. Usually a pretty tight bunch, so hopefully they've got good leadership to help the rest of the platoon pull through.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:16:39 PM EDT
Looks like it was a reserve unit from Ohio.

Six Marines from same Ohio-based unit killed in Iraq
Tuesday August 02, 2005
By THOMAS J. SHEERAN
Associated Press Writer
BROOK PARK, Ohio (AP) Lance Cpl. Jeff Boskovitch was an aspiring police officer who planned to set a wedding date with his girlfriend when he returned home from Iraq this fall.

But first he had a job to do in Iraq, where he believed the U.S. military was making a difference, his uncle said Tuesday.

Boskovitch, 25, of North Royalton, was among six Marine reservists attached to the same suburban Cleveland unit who were killed Monday in an attack west of Baghdad.

``We got a lot of e-mail from him,'' said Paul Boskovitch, who said his nephew joined the Marine reserves in 2000. ``He felt he was making a difference there and that the Iraqi people were appreciative of what they were doing. He loved the Marines and he loved his unit.''

All six reservists were from northeastern Ohio, and were members of the Headquarters and Service Co. 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, based in Brook Park, a suburb of about 21,000 people southwest of Cleveland.

Unit members in Iraq were under a military-imposed communications blackout to make sure none of the names were disclosed until victims' families were notified. Family members identified three of the dead as Boskovitch, Lance Cpl. Brian Montgomery of Willoughby and Sgt. Nathaniel Rock of Toronto.

Montgomery, 26, joined the Marine reserves in June 2002, his father said. ``I've never seen a man who was more patriotic than him,'' Paul Montgomery said as he choked back tears.

Montgomery's 21-year-old brother, Eric, is serving in the same company and will be coming home for the funeral, the father said.

Rock, 26, spent six years in the Marines after graduating from high school in 1997 and then joined the reserves, said his mother, Adriana Rock. At home in Ohio, he worked as a part-time police officer in Martins Ferry.

``He was very proud to be a Marine,'' she said.

The battalion was activated in January and went to Iraq in March.

``It's difficult and our thoughts and prayers go out to their families,'' Mayor Mark Elliott said.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:23:17 PM EDT
Never trust a Muslim..how many times do I have to say this?

We ain't friends, we ain't comrades and we ain't on the same team. Just kill the insurgents, train the newly formed Iraqi army and get the hell out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:27:42 PM EDT
We ambush them; they ambush us. That’s how it’s done.

No doubt there are some sympathizers/spies among the Iraq security forces. How could anyone possibly doubt that?

Still - cynic that I am - I have to wonder if maybe CNN would like us to believe there are a lot more than there really are. After all, that makes the comparison to Vietnam much stronger – plus it makes for a powerful argument that we are losing the war over there and should simply get out.

And I wouldn’t quite say it might be just “dumb luck” either. The insurgents/terrorists/jiahadists are certainly utterly despicable people, but that doesn’t make them stupid. Thinking that they are just makes it easier for them to kill us.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:29:44 PM EDT
I am going to send more money to "American Sniper".

The last few times that I was going to order some ammo, I sent money there. They have more pressing needs than my need for more ammo that I don't have time to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:47:04 PM EDT
I'll reserve my comments for now, on how it happened

R.I.P Marines

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:35:26 PM EDT
Nate Rock
R.I.P

52-31
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:17:04 AM EDT
hi guys ty for all the replys when i saw this shit i was like WTF and im still wondering how the fuck it happened and now we find out it was a reserve unit just doing their jobs like every one else.

i wonder how they managed to kill 6 highly trained marines who were snipers and i read some where that the marines now have sniper teams in groups of 4 each. this one must have been a 2 man per group type of thing.

rest in peace guys.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:45:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 3:04:44 AM EDT by metroplex]
Well the reason they couldn't return fire was because probably because the snipers were probably doing their sniper thing (hiding, prone position or whatever) and had their cheesy uber sexy match grade bolt-guns. So when they were ambushed, they couldn't get out their normal rifles (if they had them) or at the very least a sidearm or even a 10MOA AK.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:04:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:26:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kill-9:

I don't know what GWB is waiting for to finally set our boys loose on the enemy. He's in his last term

I hate to say it, but don't hold your breath. Since the days following 9/11, GWB's courage has been on the decline. I doubt he'll take stronger action either in Iraq or other mideast countries.

Unfortantely I agree with you, but I hope he finds the courage to give the green light to our fighting men.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:37:20 AM EDT
RIP

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:51:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kill-9:

Unfortantely I agree with you, but I hope he finds the courage to give the green light to our fighting men.

I guess I'm lost.

To what red light are you referring? What has the military asked for that Pres. Bush has not provided?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:56:58 AM EDT
RIP Brave Heroes.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:14:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 4:16:37 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]

Betraying Marines is pretty f*cking stupid.

Betraying Marine Snipers is just asking for an ass whoopin.

If there was some sort of betrayal by folks in the Iraqi forces, between the US forces and the Iraqis who are going to have to fight beside them, somebody will figure out who they are and frag them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:15:40 AM EDT
Unfortunately, snipers have always been a prized target.

RIP Marines.

and to the insurgents, terrorists, ROP...

Die you filthy offspring of sand gnat and pig, DIE!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:09:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SSeric02:
That's bad news...one third of the platoon gone. Usually a pretty tight bunch- Yes they are, so hopefully they've got good leadership- yes they do to help the rest of the platoon pull through.-yes they will

I can't say more at this time but there are the answers to those questions
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:11:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
Well the reason they couldn't return fire was because probably because the snipers were probably doing their sniper thing (hiding, prone position or whatever) and had their cheesy uber sexy match grade bolt-guns. So when they were ambushed, they couldn't get out their normal rifles (if they had them) or at the very least a sidearm or even a 10MOA AK.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:21:51 AM EDT
That sucks.... if they were betrayed I hope they find and slow roast the fucker...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:02:26 AM EDT
BTT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:

You are not smart.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tread1:

Originally Posted By SSeric02:
That's bad news...one third of the platoon gone. Usually a pretty tight bunch- Yes they are, so hopefully they've got good leadership- yes they do to help the rest of the platoon pull through.-yes they will

I can't say more at this time but there are the answers to those questions

Tread1, good to hear! My old platoon had some weak leadership and unfortunately had some problems after they lost some guys in Falluja last year. Hoping the best for these guys.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:22:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tread1:
.....................................It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

or

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until they say something.

Not a comment on the poster you refered to, just a good opportunity to use one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:35:25 AM EDT

RIP
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:36:52 AM EDT
Chechens
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top