Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 3:07:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:38:04 AM EST by 2000Z3M]
, I love that place, I had so much fun there when I was younger. I hope the doors stay open
link
In an effort to shed $1.8 billion in debt, popular theme-park chain Six Flags announced Saturday that it was filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The filing will not affect the operation of the company's 20 parks in the United States, Mexico and Canada, said spokeswoman Sandra Daniels.

"This restructuring will have no impact on families who come out to our parks. They will not see an inch of difference," Daniels said.

In an online letter to employees, President and CEO Mark Shapiro said Six Flags inherited a $2.4 billion debt load that "cannot be refinanced in these financial markets."

"This process is strictly a financial restructuring of our debt and that's how you should view it and speak about it," Shapiro said in the message posted on the Six Flags Web site.

He said Six Flags was seeking expedited approval from the for the District of Delaware of a pre-negotiated plan of reorganization under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code.

He said the company actually performed well in 2008, attracting 25 million visitors and making $275 million. But it could not keep up with its debt obligations. See interactive map of Six Flags locations »

"That's a balancing act you just can't risk year in and year out," he said. "Today, we are moving to rectify our balance sheet once and for all. Believe me when I say we will emerge from this process stronger and more competitive than ever." Read Shapiro's online letter to employees

The restructuring would reduce the company's debt to $600 million.

Shapiro told employees that the company was on "solid ground" and the bankruptcy decision was "difficult." He assured them their paychecks and jobs were safe.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:11:42 AM EST
personally i could see them go with no problem...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:12:50 AM EST
If Disney files, I'll worry.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:14:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By neoinarien:
personally i could see them go with no problem...

Yeah, never was a big fan of roller coasters.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:20:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:28:32 AM EST by ED_P]
It's amazing how many companies file for bankruptcy and from the end users perspective, nothing seems to change. That worries me more.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:34:50 AM EST
Theme parks have been a dying breed for years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:36:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:51:46 AM EST by SWS]
Is there a link for the story?

ETA: Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:37:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By SWS:
Is there a link for the story?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/13/six.flags.bankruptcy/index.html
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:53:42 AM EST
Bankruptcy - 1 flag.

No Fun :*(
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:57:22 AM EST
I live 30 minutes from the six flags in Valencia CA and i never go because the park is a shit hole. It's infested with gang members and a bunch of assholes. Last time i went i saw 20 gang members get in a fight and have never been back.......
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:08:31 AM EST
Last time I went to Atlanta I was struck by how nasty the park was.

Don't get me wrong, the rides and attractions rocked, it just looked like a stay by the hour motel in terms of sanitation.

Garbage everywhere, restrooms that looked like the corner BP, etc.....

More like a really decent carnival than a sanctoned theme park.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:13:10 AM EST
but..but..but...They have flags
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:15:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 4:17:23 AM EST by Lorax]
Originally Posted By southpaw67:
but..but..but...They have flags

Not just five....but six! Maybe Obama will bail them out letting them have 2 flags of ownership and the US taxpayer will be on the hook for the other four.

Just goes to show you how much people are watching what they spend and how much they may be cutting back on non essentials.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:20:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 4:29:13 AM EST by ranchhand]
They've already shed one

They ditched the Conferderate flag to be PC
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:27:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By somiskid:
I live 30 minutes from the six flags in Valencia CA and i never go because the park is a shit hole. It's infested with gang members and a bunch of assholes. Last time i went i saw 20 gang members get in a fight and have never been back.......

That makes me think of the one in New Jersey. For six years we lived 20 minutes or so away and went once. The hoodrats and New Yorkers can have it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:34:07 AM EST
I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way but it's way to expensive to spend a day at these places. I'm also not in to roller coasters.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:48:52 AM EST
it's been in need of a facelift for many years now...........just adding Looney Tunes characters and Batman wasnt enough to spruce it up.........hopefully they will eventually do something to bring back some of the character and charm that it once had

Originally Posted By justsayin:
Last time I went to Atlanta I was struck by how nasty the park was.

Don't get me wrong, the rides and attractions rocked, it just looked like a stay by the hour motel in terms of sanitation.

Garbage everywhere, restrooms that looked like the corner BP, etc.....

More like a really decent carnival than a sanctoned theme park.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:10:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By osprey21:
Theme parks have been a dying breed for years.

Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:26:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By VACaver:

That makes me think of the one in New Jersey. For six years we lived 20 minutes or so away and went once. The hoodrats and New Yorkers can have it.

It was the same story here in Houston at Astroworld. It finally had to shut down. Intelligent business owners would have enforced a dress code and kept their prices up to keep the scum from becoming regulars there. It's their own fault.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:39:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 5:41:52 AM EST by ZootTX]
I've been to the one here in Dallas a few times. You cannot CCW there, they have 30.06 signs (legal no CCW), 'Security', and metal detectors at the entrance. You cannot even bring a pocketknife into the park. Add to that the increasing number of hoodrats, the fact some of the rides are getting old and rickety, and I really don't see a good reason to go there any more. I went twice this last year only because I was given free tickets and the fiance wanted to go.
We are planning a trip to hurricane harbor this summer (water park across the road owned by Six Flags) because they are cheaper and allow you to bring you own food in as well (which saves you $25 a person right there!). Plus the last time I went there I had a pretty good time.

ETA: I just checked the website and apparently coolers are NOT allowed into the park any more. Screw that I guess we won't be going then
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:45:35 AM EST
The one we have here in Georgia "Cobb County" has turned into gang central for the last 15 years. We have not been as a result of this change and will not go again.

Its a shame really as we had enjoyed the park for decades before this change, seems that it is now a baby sitter for the urban Atlanta thug pupulation now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:46:27 AM EST
I wish I could file for bankruptcy to get rid of debt and keep all my cool shit
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:52:10 AM EST
I agree that the one in Atlanta is a massive shithole. During the summer, parents drop off their little thug kids and let them run the park all day like dogs in a kennel.

Now, Cedar Point in Sandusky OH... that THAT park is awseome! If they go bankrupt I'll actually care!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:15:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 6:17:17 AM EST by pv74]
The ony theme parks that ever really impressed me are the Disney parks...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:09 AM EST
SIx Flags Discovery Kingdom here in NorCal has gotten better. Park is actually kept fairly clean, and the hood rats behave themselves.

Plus, if you don't like coasters, they have an animal side of the park with tigers, elephants, dolphin and a killer whale. Makes the day a little more relaxing when you can go sit at one of the animal shows to take a break from the crowds.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:37:41 AM EST
I can't get enough of roller coasters, thus, I have been to many parks across the country. The place in sandusky is highly overrated in my opinion. If the wind blows a little too much, they shut down their best coaster. Atlanta has great rides, but the problem is, it is in atlanta. The overriding problem with most of the parks is that they are not in the suburbs. Six flags in dallas wasn't bad at all the last time I was there (3yrs) and san antonio wasnt bad either. You can basically go by the demographics of the city, which is bad to say i guess.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:50:06 AM EST
The one that darn near every Chicago kid grew up going to(Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL) is really nice. They just added a waterpark section to it. As for hoodrats, I haven't paid any attention to them really.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:58:19 AM EST
The one in Arlington is a shit hole.
Trash everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:14:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By TecRsq:
The one we have here in Georgia "Cobb County" has turned into gang central for the last 15 years. We have not been as a result of this change and will not go again.

Its a shame really as we had enjoyed the park for decades before this change, seems that it is now a baby sitter for the urban Atlanta thug pupulation now.

That's really sad to hear. It's been a long time since I went there. I remember it as being a neatly kept fun place to be.

I guess no more.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:33:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By Deej86:
The one that darn near every Chicago kid grew up going to(Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL) is really nice. They just added a waterpark section to it. As for hoodrats, I haven't paid any attention to them really.

10 years ago it was a nice place, last time I went there were many hoodrats. Of course the style of today is to dress like a gangbanger so I may be mistaken.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:40:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 7:41:14 AM EST by FMJshooter]
What $50 for a ticket $15 to park then another $20 for food so you can spend an hour on line for a 4 minute ride.

Action Park was the last amusement park worth a damn.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:55:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By 2000Z3M:
, I love that place, I had so much fun there when I was younger. I hope the doors stay open
link

In an online letter to employees, President and CEO Mark Shapiro said Six Flags inherited a $2.4 billion debt load that "cannot be refinanced in these financial markets."

"This process is strictly a financial restructuring of our debt and that's how you should view it and speak about it," Shapiro said in the message posted on the Six Flags Web site.

First, where the hell did they "inherit" a 2.4 bln debt? Did one of their customers leave it to them or what? They didn't spend that money??

Second, why don't you just tell your customers the truth. We can afford to pay our bills, barely, but we don't really want to. So, we're going to fuck some people out of $1.8bln dollars that they loaned us in good faith.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:55:47 AM EST
Sad, Six Flags has awesome rollercoasters.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:33:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 8:37:56 AM EST by 69firebirdconv]
Originally Posted By cybrscream:

It was the same story here in Houston at Astroworld. It finally had to shut down. Intelligent business owners would have enforced a dress code and kept their prices up to keep the scum from becoming regulars there. It's their own fault.

I had thought of that years ago. Problem isn't with the cost of a single ticket, which is fucking retarded expensive, it's how cheap season passes can be if you live in the area. So as has been stated, a pass is bought for the kids and they get dropped off and left like a daycare. Real responsible. Then again, back in the late seventies/early eighties, I had a pass there and I would go with my cousins for the day a couple times a week in Arlington,TX. For MY parents, though, it was a cheap thing for us to do during the summer. Now, it has turned into ghetto child care, and the weekends are stupid crowded usually.

Lucky me, my wife gets family passes every year. I really don't like going there.

ETA: For clarification. It is Six Flags in ARLINGTON, NOT Dallas. As bad as it can patron wise in Arlington, I could just imagine if it were actually in Dallas. Also, as stated, they have the whole 30.06 going on there. It still pisses me off, and my wife has to hear about it. Although they do have metal detectors, the whole concept is stupid considering the wide open parking lot you have to walk through to and from the gates. I wish they would do like the State Fair does and allow CCW as long as you check in with it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:38:30 AM EST

just like the one here... the hoodrats in pg and dc can have it
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:05:45 AM EST
I just spent a full weekday at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia (I only live 15 minutes away). The hispanics that I saw were not bad, the overall presence of the park was a lot nicer than it was back in the early 90's. I had a season pass back then and I would avoid the park any time they had scheduled a hip hop concert. Thankfully I wasn't there when TLC was supposed to play and they had a riot.

The park was fairly clean, considering the park opened at 10am and we didn't get there till 1pm.We got to ride 7 of the big roller coasters as well as have a relaxed sit down lunch at the Mooseburger Lodge. We left at 8:45pm just because our feet hurt. I purchased the Xtreme Play Pass which is $125 for the full year, it includes 4 free friend admits, 1 $9.99 friend admit (on 9/11), 4 $25 friend admits, 1 free passholder admit to the Hurricane Harbor park next door and some other coupons. It also includes 25% off of food and merchandise and free parking for every visit.

I really like coasters and you dont go to Disney parks for coasters, plus, Disney parks are significatly more expensive. For coasters, fate dropped me in the right place. I have 1 or more coasters in the top 10 from almost all catagories of rides, from longest to fastest to biggest loops.

I really hope they don't go away anytime soon.

Besides, Magic Mountain is their only park that has always made money.

Jer
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:20:20 AM EST
I worked for Magic Mountain in Valencia the first few years it was open. I was there when the mgt. decided to go forward as a "thrill park" instead of a "family park" They thought they could fill a niche that Disney and Knott's didn't serve. It was a poor decision. That first year that they had the Spinners and the Commodores should've been the first clue; people were climbing over ride fences to sneak into the theater. Not very nuch fun if you're a ride operator on the Gold Rusher. (it was a cross terrain coaster of which most was on the other side of a hill.) It went down hill from there. Disney and Knott's didn't serve that "niche" for a very good reason.

Now that Six Flags has committed to roller coasters and thrill rides there is no going back; they're always going to have to cater to the teenage crowd. Unfortunately that means gangs.

They also used to pay more than minimum wage. They used to be able to hire college kids and be selective in who they hired. We used to come back every summer to work if we weren't held over for the winter. Now, if you can breathe, you're a prime candidate for employment. Kind of a scary thought when a ride operator is moving tons of mechanical equioment and you're in it, isn't it? I'm surprised more people aren't hurt each year.

So for me to hear the Six Flags is going 11 is not surprising.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:22:17 AM EST
I love that place, havent been in years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:22:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 10:22:55 AM EST by BangStick1]
That's alright. I'm sure the gov't will take control and keep them open with taxpayer dollars.

Think of the propaganda value and 'Dear Leader' costumes running around the park.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:12:50 PM EST
The Atlanta one definitely needs a face lift. Plus the clientele is approaching rif raf status. These young hoodlums (note I am not prejudice but they are all black) are rude as shit.

I took my daughter a couple of years ago and I almost got into a fight a couple of times trying to protect my kid. These punks cut in line repeatedly, used foul language in front of parents with young kids, generally obnoxious as hell.

I will never go back
Top Top